Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
BTW, did you notice how Lucasfilm reused the name "Crait" for a planet, despite having no connection whatsoever with "Krayt Dragon" - a species of big lizard that lived on Tatooine, whose bones we see in the beginning of ANH.

I like what this guy had to say.....it's a bit long, but makes sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC8vSlSsbwI

J

What he said. Very good points that echo my thoughts in general. You can nitpick about Leia Poppins and green milk walrus, but I wish these were the worst things in the film for me.
"Nothing learned, nothing earned, 2 hours of circling around the ball.". He sums it up perferctly.

I also like he mentioned BDT's line "you blow them up today, they blow you up tomorrow", best line in the movie and I was the only one in the theatre laughing out loud when that came.
Also, probably most of you guys know them, but Redlettermedia pretty much said the same thing I did to my GF on our way back from the theatre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9hwGZFPSmw

Last edited:
I get that Star Wars is not a real scifi (sound in space, etc) but fuel was never ever an issue or even mentioned previously.

Maybe the writer(s) grew up watching TOS BSG and subconsciously referred to "The Living Legend".

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, did you notice how Lucasfilm reused the name "Crait" for a planet, despite having no connection whatsoever with "Krayt Dragon" - a species of big lizard that lived on Tatooine, whose bones we see in the beginning of ANH.
Yep. When I heard for the first time that the Resistance should be on Crait I thought, how's that gonna be? Are they riding a dragon? Then I noticed the different letters... ;)

Lots of things in the real world sound similar including peoples' names. It's really not an issue in any way. Krayt and Crait are not even spelt the same.

I watched TLJ again yesterday. It was better the second time mostly because I was already numb to the cringe worthy moments and the big disappointments. The movie was more epic than I had given it credit for, with many big scenes and enjoyable moments. There is grandeur and spectacle that took a second viewing to appreciate. It is not a total loss and I will certainly watch it a few more times down the road. Here are the bullet points of what still doesn’t work for me:

Opening scene hold-please jokes.
Poe not being the hero he was set up to be in TFA.
The entire Canto Bight visit.
Studdering.
Rose eclipsing Fin as a character.
Death of Admiral Akbar. Just why?
Rey’s parents. This should have been THE driver of the story arc. I don’t know what guides it now.
The end of Snoke. We deserved a back story. It should have been obvious the fans wanted it.
The throne room fight scene. Just seemed odd. The whole room seemed like a green screen set.
Salt speeders. Not a very compelling addition to the rebel inventory. Snow speeders would have been awesome.
2 1/2 + hour run time. I could sense the drag on family members who hadn’t seen it before.

Last edited:
There definitely was, and I assumed it continued after I left, but part of why I left is because both sides were very standoffish and insulting. I wasn't there to bash the movie, I liked it overall, but I did think there were areas of weakness and every time I tried to get into a discussion about them it just got bombarded with name calling on both sides. Ultimately I remember just giving up. Some people just never learned that different opinions are a thing.

I didn't have a problem with that moment, but I do have a problem with the X number of years that followed. For all we know Luke is the most successful Dark side turner of all time, who risked his life and even the fate of the entire galaxy to try to save Vader after sensing a tiny bit of conflict in him. Meanwhile Kylo has so much conflict that it's obvious to everyone including a total stranger, AND it's partly Luke's fault, yet Luke never bothers to even try. That's an awfully big change from the guy who was willing to risk the fate of the galaxy on a slight chance to save one man.

I wish I could like a post more than once. First, bravo for pointing out that folks should be able to express their points of dissatisfaction with the film without being piled on or insulted, and vice versa. As I said before, I'm glad that some genuinely liked the film. I'm just not one of them.

Kudos as well on the points about Luke sticking his neck out for Vader, being the only one to believe in there being any good left within him, to abandoning all hope for an OBVIOUSLY conflicted Kylo. Story-wise, it is hard to reconcile.

Or the fact that every civilization in the universe has a drink known as a gin and tonic?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

captain-america-i-understood-that-reference-gif.gif

I wish I could like a post more than once. First, bravo for pointing out that folks should be able to express their points of dissatisfaction with the film without being piled on or insulted, and vice versa. As I said before, I'm glad that some genuinely liked the film. I'm just not one of them.

Kudos as well on the points about Luke sticking his neck out for Vader, being the only one to believe in there being any good left within him, to abandoning all hope for an OBVIOUSLY conflicted Kylo. Story-wise, it is hard to reconcile.
Yeah, I certainly don't mind the moment Luke was about to strike him down, but the abandoning of responsibility after that is the problem.

He literally rejected helping Leia in her time of need.

Yeah, I certainly don't mind the moment Luke was about to strike him down, but the abandoning of responsibility after that is the problem.

He literally rejected helping Leia in her time of need.

I think that makes sense, though, when you look at the A-to-B-to-C of it. I mean, you might disagree and think "But you could still help," but from Luke's perspective, his bad judgment had led to (1) Ben turning to evil, (2) Ben destroying the Jedi school, (3) Ben converting a bunch of former students to evil (side note: still dunno what happened to them...), and (4) Ben joining the First Order, which made them immensely more powerful than they already were.

So, basically, Luke's moment of weakness, however fleeting, gave rise to yet another incredibly powerful dark side user who is poised to destroy the galaxy.

With that in mind, I can see where "The best help I can give is by staying the hell out of it" might be Luke's conclusion. He realizes, though, that this was wrong, and that in turn leads to his final act of sacrifice.

I just saw TLJ yesterday. I hate that movie. It's the single dumbest movie of all time, because the idiot wrting and directing it shat on everything that made me love Star Wars. I absolutely know how Mark Hamill has felt when he read this garbage of a screenplay. Even my best friends 12 year old son who was with us said that this movie killed Star Wars for him. Everything Luke archieved in 4 - 6 was made irrelevant. The scene were Luke stands with his sword turned on above Ben Solo was the moment were everybody should have realised that Johnson had no idea of who and what Luke Skywalker is. Besides the dumb side plot with Finn, Reys parents and Snoke. This movie made the prequels look like oscar winning movies.

Here's what I think about The Last Jedi, it's definitely a good one. I like the fact that Luke is cynical and his duel with Kylo Ren at the end is most definitely something different, I love it more each time I see it. I loved the character of DJ. He has some of the best lines in the movie, "Live free don't join." and "They blow you up today you blow them up tomorrow, that's business." All of the stuff about how slimy and evil war profiteering/weapons dealership and animal cruelty is is really gutsy to bring up in a Star Wars film. And another thing that I want to bring up with the Luke and Kylo duel is how excellent Mark Mamill's acting is, it's top-notch! :D The way that Luke says, "The rebellion is reborn today." sends chills up and down my spine. It's an extremely rousing and wonderful speech! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no excusing away a turd. If you have to make excuses, it's not a good movie. A good movie appeals to everybody. Good is good. Crap is crap. Take a fresh turd, put it on an "artisan" roll with "hand cut" gourmet fries served on the finest China, and its still a turd. You can't excuse it.

So if I follow your logic regarding “a good movie appeals to everybody”; there is no good star wars film.

I watched TLJ again yesterday. It was better the second time mostly because I was already numb to the cringe worthy moments and the big disappointments. The movie was more epic than I had given it credit for, with many big scenes and enjoyable moments. There is grandeur and spectacle that took a second viewing to appreciate. It is not a total loss and I will certainly watch it a few more times down the road.

Same experience for me on my 2nd viewing. I went in having accepted that the story wasn't what I'd hoped for, and just re-watched it for the spectacle with my feelings of disappointment pushed aside. It did improve the viewing experience dramatically.

I usually avoid spoilers like the plague, but this is one film for which I think knowing about them beforehand would have been a good thing. The poor story choices ruined my first viewing, as they were so glaring that I noticed none of the spectacle, and I just found my mind constantly trying to wrap itself around one WTF moment after another story-wise. Not glaring as in "that was unexpected and a bold narrative choice"...more "Wha...that's just stupid/unnecessary/against character/lazy writing, etc..."

So if I follow your logic regarding “a good movie appeals to everybody”; there is no good star wars film.

I think it better phrased "a good GENRE movie appeals to everybody WHO LIKES A CERTAIN GENRE".

A good horror movie does not appeal to everybody. Because of the genre specific ingredients. Same goes foe space opera.

But in the end it indeed is true that a good movie appeals to almost everybody. And the OT SW appealed to a lot of people.

I wrote it before, TLJ is not a well written and well paced movie. If you take the movie and put the plot onto a timeline and refer to characters by neutral names i.e. anonymizing the beloved characters and then check for the heroes journey pattern or other movie theory story telling and pacing patterns, you will see that it just does not work too well.

Here's what I think about The Last Jedi, it's definitely a good one. I like the fact that Luke is cynical and his duel with Kylo Ren at the end is most definitely something different, I love it more each time I see it. I loved the character of DJ. He has some of the best lines in the movie, "Live free don't join." and "They blow you up today you blow them up tomorrow, that's business." All of the stuff about how slimy and evil war profiteering/weapons dealership and animal cruelty is is really gutsy to bring up in a Star Wars film. And another thing that I want to bring up with the Luke and Kylo duel is how excellent Mark Mamill's acting is, it's top-notch! :D The way that Luke says, "The rebellion is reborn today." sends chills up and down my spine. It's an extremely rousing and wonderful speech! :D

I agree, it's gusty and somewhat deeper than the traditional stories.
I guess this is the difference between seeing Star Wars through the eyes of a child and the eyes of a grown up.
Rian Johnson sees Star Wars through the lens of a grown-up now and pulls a curtain back that wasn't done before.

It raises questions about what happened between ROTJ and TFA.

In ROTJ the rebels blew up the Death Star and a bunch of Star Destroyers, and the Empire's top leadership went down with it all. In the extended version they showed celebrations on various planets that were previously under Empire control. That ending inferred that the Empire had fallen.

So, after everything the rebels and what I would assume the new Republic fought to gain back, how was the First Order able to build itself up to the level it was at by TFA? And how did they fund something of that scale? A planet sized weapon. Dreadnought Ships. And the Mega-Class Star Dreadnought (Snoke's ship). What kind of line of credit do you need to create a fleet like that and how do you build it without the new Republic being completely clueless?

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of things in the real world sound similar including peoples' names. It's really not an issue in any way. Krayt and Crait are not even spelt the same.
"Kamino kyberdart", Saberdart, "Kiber Crystal", Kyber Crystal and Kaiburr crystal. They are not even spelled the same!
And Jawas are not six feet tall furry creatures who live in trees either!

Or the fact that every civilization in the universe has a drink known as a gin and tonic?
It's a strange thing but every sentient race has a version of these Swedish Meatballs. I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries that will never be explained, which will drive you mad if you ever learn the truth.

Last edited:
Same experience for me on my 2nd viewing. I went in having accepted that the story wasn't what I'd hoped for, and just re-watched it for the spectacle with my feelings of disappointment pushed aside. It did improve the viewing experience dramatically.

I usually avoid spoilers like the plague, but this is one film for which I think knowing about them beforehand would have been a good thing. The poor story choices ruined my first viewing, as they were so glaring that I noticed none of the spectacle, and I just found my mind constantly trying to wrap itself around one WTF moment after another story-wise. Not glaring as in "that was unexpected and a bold narrative choice"...more "Wha...that's just stupid/unnecessary/against character/lazy writing, etc..."

For me, at least, I found the opposite to be true.

I went in knowing literally NOTHING about the film except what had been barely revealed by the TLJ DLC for Battlefront 2 (which, really, was just a Crait map and a D'Qar space map). I had Rey's new outfit as a skin, and...that was it.

I didn't know anything about casting, so I didn't know Laura Dern was in it. I knew nothing of the new characters. I didn't know Benicio del Toro was in it. Hell, when I saw Justin Theroux in the film, I thought we'd actually be seeing more of him until -- whoops! -- not so much.

I knew nothing about the plot other than "Rey trains with Luke." I saw a couple of stills, including Rey holding a sabre, Luke looking grumpy, and Carrie Fisher in a high-collared dress. I knew they filmed all of her scenes before she died, too.

That was it. That's all I knew. And with that level of knowledge, I still loved the film. Mostly, though, that's because I didn't go in with a ton of expectations. For me, the spoiler stuff and pre-release hype train is what gets my creative juices flowing, and I start imagining this or that scenario or explanation for a plot point or whathaveyou. It's at that point that my expectations set in.

Instead, I keep myself in a total media blackout. I don't read articles about the film, I don't watch trailers, I didn't even think to check on casting this time. I just walked into the theater, sat down, and watched the movie. Still loved it.

I get why people don't. I've heard it described as an "Anti-Star Wars" Star Wars movie, in the sense that it upends a lot of traditions and "kills the past" in many respects. But I didn't mind that, because to me, it still retained the soul of the series.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't forget about Swedish Meatballs. It's a strange thing but every sentient race has a version of these Swedish Meatballs. I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries that will never be explained, which will drive you mad if you ever learn the truth.

swedish-chef.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back