Luke's ROTJ saber shot out of R2-D2 is up for auction

I think it may be one of Obee1's sabers from years ago with the nipple cut off and an extra washer attached.

Edited:

Actually. The description says it's 11.75" long. So, if that's true, then it doesn't match any replica I know of.
Since I'm in New York, I might go check it out before it goes to the block.

Zoom in on the Bonhams site and take a look at the machine marks on the sloped faces of the pommel cubes. Is there a way to get machine marks like that on a manual lathe/mill? Or would it require a CNC mill? Certainly a lathe would not leave marks longitudinally like that.

You know what would be funny? If Lucasfilm suddenly demanded the return of all screen used and production made props (legitimate or not) unless the owner could definitively prove they were acquired through official and authorized channels. Technically speaking, most of the items out there could be considered stolen. Either that, or have a Lucasfilm official declare this a fraudulent auction. That would put a stop to this!

Looks like theres a rubber bumper on the bottom.

Hey thd9791 ! Not rubber, but a long, fat headed screw. Check out the Polaroid they provided...

LIGHTSABER - Bonhams - supposedly ROTJ R2-D2 Skiff Launcher - 01.png

Speaking of Polaroids, is this how Lucas Film actually catalogued these?...

LIGHTSABER - Bonhams - supposedly ROTJ R2-D2 Skiff Launcher - 02.png

Also, are there two different lightsabers here?....
LIGHTSABER - LUKE - ROTJ - R2 ON SKIFF - 01.png

LIGHTSABER - LUKE - ROTJ - R2 ON SKIFF - 02.png

The filming sequence may be backwards, as the lip in the later portion of the film looks less damaged than the shot in the movie from seconds before.

Though the second image with the neck groove proves this Bonham's auction isn't a R2-D2 Skiff Launhed Lightsaber since it doesn't have one, but, those Polaroids are at the very least...curious. Someone either went through a lot of trouble replicating old Polaroids, or someone made this replica a long time ago. Just not in a galaxy far, far away. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Zoom in on the Bonhams site and take a look at the machine marks on the sloped faces of the pommel cubes. Is there a way to get machine marks like that on a manual lathe/mill? Or would it require a CNC mill? Certainly a lathe would not leave marks longitudinally like that.
Hey E Williams ! A chisel might make marks like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I wouldn't buy anything listed as screen used without proper prominence. Star trek had an auction some years back where everything came directly off the studios warehouses and fully documented , then went off to auction. As far as I know, Lucas hasn't done an auction like that.

I'm not saying this is fraud in its entirety, however we all know that they made multiples of everything, and it is possible this did come off the prop stage however, very possible it wasn't used. Maybe a throw away prop, if they discovered it wouldn't work for their intentions.

The builders at astromech.com did plenty of research and testing for the sabers for launching out of R2 . Most found they needed to use a very light saber and not one made from metal.
these builders are full blown crazy, and aren't affraid to spend time and resources to achieve their goals.

Did lucas ever have a real props auction, or did most pieces end up in museums or cast members collections? We do see plenty of screen used auctions, so I'm very curious.

Yes. You can get those marks on a manual lathe. Actually its much more likely to be made on a manual lathe than a cnc. They come from when you're cutting the angle of the cube using the side of the lathe tool to create the slope, and the friction produces a shudder, rather than cutting on a cnc and cutting with the tip and creating the slope while pulling back at the same time as your tool is proceeding down the ways.

I was cutting grip ridges on a Luke ROTJ saber the other day and produced that very effect. I had to redo the cut with a different tool

Last edited:
Yea the actual item in question here is absolutely a fake. They made the Hero by hand and thus messed up the grip rings. The pommel cubes were also not so tall, if that helps too.

As for the R2 shots..... I have a feeling they're different. The emitter faces look different to me, one more flat than the other. They also reportedly made at least 6 or 7 resin pieces for this shot, including the control box. An older member here apparently got to see some of that shot while they were filming in arizona

Do I have to point out that the inventory tag on the back of that Polaroid picture says Elstree? And we know how they're above reproach when it comes to screen used props.:lol

absolutely a fake.

I don't know if I'd go that far yet. We need to investigate it furthur. There's not enough evidence presented to go either way yet, in my eyes.
It's not the hero of course. But we really don't know what other saber props were fabricated for the film. The uneven grip ridges are part of the yuma fighting stunt that was turned into the hero. But it's possible that other sabers could have been manufactured wherein the machinist took a bit more care to make the grip spacing uniform. It's not like it's that hard to do ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Also, are there two different lightsabers here?....
View attachment 769405

View attachment 769406

Wow! good eye. I think you're right:eek

Ahh, thanks Dan :)

Thats why I was saying earlier I think one of those shots is the wired saber (the flat, chipped one)

Yes. You can get those marks on a manual lathe. Actually its much more likely to be made on a manual lathe than a cnc. They come from when you're cutting the angle of the cube using the side of the lathe tool to create the slope, and the friction produces a shudder, rather than cutting on a cnc and cutting with the tip and creating the slope while pulling back at the same time as your tool is proceeding down the ways.

I was cutting grip ridges on a Luke ROTJ saber the other day and produced that very effect. I had to redo the cut with a different tool

Cool, thanks for the insight! That makes sense now. I was just thinking back to when I made my ROTJ saber on a manual lathe - used the tool in the same way to cut the grip rings and pommel cube shape but didn't run into that issue, thus my confusion. It was a beast of a lathe though with a just-sharpened tool. I can't imagine my current mini-lathe being able to do the same cuts, or the big lathe with a dull tool.

Do I have to point out that the inventory tag on the back of that Polaroid picture says Elstree? And we know how they're above reproach when it comes to screen used props.:lol

Yes I was thinking that too - the barge scenes were filmed in Yuma, not Elstree...

Looking at those photos again, it sort-of looks like a pretty darned close replica with the nipple cut off and this extra resin plate added to simulate the damage.

I don't think it's what they say it is-- but I will say that you can usually spot repros pretty easily cause either the pommel cubes or neck are almost always off. These look pretty close to the eye. I wish we could see the box.

I don't think it's what they say it is-- but I will say that you can usually spot repros pretty easily cause either the pommel cubes or neck are almost always off. These look pretty close to the eye. I wish we could see the box.

The last Elstree metal fake I saw included near correct emitter, neck and pommel cubes. I wish I still had photos, it had no box, 8 rings and a metal blade.

The last Elstree metal fake I saw included near correct emitter, neck and pommel cubes. I wish I still had photos, it had no box, 8 rings and a metal blade.

I was working at Pinewood 3 years ago this month. They had a Vader saber behind glass (and a do not photograph sign). I wasn't as saber-brained as I am now and I wish I'd either taken a pic or looked at it more closely to see what it was.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back