Bengrim's Darth Vader reveal project

Can't laser cut as my laser cousin explained the fine lines would probably burn with the heat with his works laser
I got it to scale by drawing it 3 times bigger then reducing the size by 33% on my printer
spoke to a RPF member tonight and he gave me another option I'm going to explore over the next few days sounds very promising if the costs are acceptable I'm going down that route
and I will probably get a few made for other builders to keep the costs down
i will keep you informed

Ben

Hey Ben, have you considered getting that little part photoetched? That's a very precise technique for pieces that have detailed outlines and also need to be pretty thin. It's not impossible that the original found parts are photoetched either. I'll be getting mine photoetched when I reach that stage, but I need to finish my vocoder assembly before I can work out how long the strands need to be, so that they reach across the part properly.

Jeremy

Ah ok I understand.The heat is a really big problem with fine parts.But water cutting could be possible if the factory has a very fine nozzle.

Ah ok I understand.The heat is a really big problem with fine parts.But water cutting could be possible if the factory has a very fine nozzle.
He doesn't have a water jet cutter, Going to be photo etched it's the simplest way and they will have them on file if anymore are needed
going to look back at the measurements before I send them a file for pricing, how confident are you with the sizes you sent me? as Jeremy said about the vocoder we don't have ours built as yet so we can't reference them for sizes
or if anybody has got one they could measure and PM me (we the builders ) would be truly great full and it would save me some time,
looking at what I printed off it looks pretty good so I'm talking your word on length or a second or even third opinion to be safe as it's £75 for for them to transfer my drawings and measurements into there cad file for printing and more money if they have to readjust any measurements.
Would love to know where natty had his kit done as I believe he's vocoder part was photo etched, that company would still have it on file.

i have been a fan of Star wars series many years watching all movie many times but recently i become fan of Darth Vader and wish to be look like him and want to get his costume and his all accessories
Nice to have you on board you need to look in the classifieds section in the forum there are loads of things to buy for the Vader costume made by very talented people from around the world or if your up for a challenge search the star wars prop and costume builds and see how others have achieved the costumes accurately and give it a go yourself it's very rewarding

Been very busy at work but I had to find time to play a little drawn up on autocad the vocoder part
IMG_5435.PNG
I will try and send it off to the photo etchers for a price on Friday if I've time

input please does does this look ok ???

Attachments

• IMG_5434.JPG
    IMG_5434.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 93
IMG_5435.PNG
For those who have one of these, before I get in touch with the photo etching company what would you say on the correct thickness ??? looking at it I would say no more than 0.5 mm they have stainless steel and nickel silver they also have brass but I want to keep it a natural metal colour so not to add more work having to paint brass
imput please on thickness and metal would be appreciated
thanks

Good work my friend!That looks awesome!

It is very,very thin...I would say not more as 0,3mm.And it is not brass.I would say as it was new it was like nickel silver.Now about over 30 Years its still silver but not more so shiny.;)

Good work my friend!That looks awesome!

It is very,very thin...I would say not more as 0,3mm.And it is not brass.I would say as it was new it was like nickel silver.Now about over 30 Years its still silver but not more so shiny.;)
Ok so I've sent them the cad drawing 0.3 thick on nickel silver all I can do now is wait for the quote back fingers crossed it's not too expensive or it me and you splitting the bill :lol

I totally forgot I already have this part ... oops sorry ... still I'd like to share the picture of all my Reveal stuff ... makes it easier to see what's still lacking :

Darth%20Vader%20Reveal%20Parts-02_zps0wcfwabj.jpg

The dynodes have been replaced with the proper copper ones from sskunky :)

Chaïm

Oh Chaim you have just dropped yourself right in the deep end mwhahaha haha ( Evil Laugh )
the part Ive just draw up is the the part you have an original part or a recut from a kit

I just want to triple check the measurements for the thin vocoder part would it be possible for you to have a quick measure and pm me some details inc how thin it is before I confirm with the photo etchers

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I received a lot of spare parts with the mask from Reel Fakes . . . here is his second build : http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=190863 . . . still need to find or purchase some more parts from you . . . I'm just waiting when you have all those parts I seek, which are hard to find in the wild, to purchase in one buy :)

Chaïm
what other parts are you looking for ?

I'm not at home right now ... perhaps if you have some patience by next week I can measure it for you ... no problemo :) By heart ... I still need those 'ear' parts you made and all those vintage dental expanders in 2 sizes . . . some wires and those 2 metal 'crocodile' teeth or what-ever-you-call-them parts ... and many more -sigh- I'd love to collect them as real vintage found parts ... alas I'm afraid that might be a mission impossible unless your name is kurtyboy :wacko

Chaïm

Last edited by a moderator:
There is only one kurtyboy I wish I was kurtyboy' big brother and I would have bullied him to getting me some parts for my build, i too would like original parts but alas I think it's a task that will never be fulfilled, I want real dental expanders too, scratch building all my bits from scratch from drawings is a task and a bit so I'm also relying on other seasoned builders for there expertise and there measuments ( if they are willing to share ) not just for my build but others who are interested finishing or want to start building one
I'm in the process of redrawing the ear components as my laser cousin is to busy with his own work and just can't get the drawings as I want them, in my book ( need a job doing correctly do it your self ) so I got auto cad 2017 and now redrawing 70% of stuff
I'm also redrawing the face linkages with the 3 prongs / fork ends

i will wait and hear from you regarding the measurements for the vocoder part
thanks Chaim

BEN

Waiting is sooooo boring !
photo etchers haven't been in touch as yet but there email says they will very shortly
on the upside my laser cousin has received my cad drawings by email and says the are good to go so now I don't have to wait for him to draw up any of my hand drawn drawings anymore I just have to wait for him to cut them now,!!! it should speed up the process a little bit and get them how I've drawn them.

Ok now I'm starting to pull my hair out, not that I have any left at my age,
im having a little trouble drawing up the linkage on the reveal mask
image.jpg
I've drawn this from pics on the internet and other forum pics BUT I'm getting all sorts of different angles from different builds this is the third attempt and I'm going to send this off for a sample cut tonight but what I really need is a flat drawing off somebody who has an original one if possible anybody who has a copy of an original just a drawing is all I need if your willing to share
image.jpg
This was my other attempt
practice makes perfect !!!!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back