The Carbon M1: A Huge Jump in 3D Printing

B

BlueSteel

http://carbon3d.com/
This website says it all really, but basically Carbon has released their first product, and its a carbon resin 3D printer, but its completely reimagined. The bed descends on a pool of your material of choice, and then slowly, but exponentially faster than current tech, pulls it out of the pool fully formed. Its a secret process but it involved regulating light and oxygen inside the tall cylinder base and using the light to carve out the object, in a sense. This results in consistent, store-ready products, and it ranges all carbon resin materials. This is also apparently a much cheaper and economical option for 3D printing, and honestly, it seems to be the biggest advancein several years, and it gets me very excited about the possibilities of printing out pieces without all the excrutiating detail to finishing and sanding, because these final products look really slick guys.
Peace image.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, far from making its way into the hobby space. Aside from being faster, I can't see a justification for the price.

And that Tested interview left a bad taste in my mouth. I took a drink every time the guy said "light", "oxygen", or "chemistry", and I got alcohol poisoning.

Yes unfortunately quite expensive. As for price i was more talking about the materials sorry for the unclarity there... Just encouraging to see this kind of progress on such a dramatic scale. Not getting hands on this one for years though

Aside from being faster, I can't see a justification for the price.

The Z axis printing on it is continuous (no layers at all), so you get stronger, smoother and higher resolution parts. X and Y are limited by the resolution of the UV projection system.

25 years ago, FDM printers were probably $40k/year.

There are already printers who use liquid filament and lasers and such to pull a 3D figure out of a bath for hobbyists. They are still expensive, bit cheaper than some high grade fdm printers.

The process is actually Stereolithography, one of - if not the - oldest forms of "3D Printing". I worked for a company who installed some of the first SLA Machines in our prototype shop in the late 80's. I'm sure the process and materials used today have improved immensely over the limited resins we had at the time.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back