Elwood Blues - Sunglasses

Kovnyn

Sr Member
I've been a Blues Brothers fan for decades, even dressed up as Elwood for Halloween once or twice. I've got a new display case, and a vintage playbill on the way from '79 when the Blues Brothers played Freedom Hall in Louisville, KY, my hometown.

I've got a very nice black felt Fedora, a Dobb's 5th Avenue that I got about 20 years ago. I've been a fan that long.

Now, when it comes to sunglasses, I know Jake wears tortoise shell Ray Ban Wayfarers, but Elwood wears something slightly different. The frames are black, the top is flatter than the RBW's, and the hinge accents are different. So clearly not Wayfarers, but a lot of places online say they are.
(Edit: to be fair, he did wear the wayfarers in BB2K, but we do not speak of that movie)

Does anyone have a more definitive answer as to Elwoods shades?

Last edited:
I've been a Blues Brothers fan for decades, even dressed up as Elwood for Halloween once or twice. I've got a new display case, and a vintage playbill on the way from '79 when the Blues Brothers played Freedom Hall in Louisville, KY, my hometown.

I've got a very nice black felt Fedora, a Dobb's 5th Avenue that I got about 20 years ago. I've been a fan that long.

Now, when it comes to sunglasses, I know Jake wears tortoise shell Ray Ban Wayfarers, but Elwood wears something slightly different. The frames are black, the top is flatter than the RBW's, and the hinge accents are different. So clearly not Wayfarers, but a lot of places online say they are.
(Edit: to be fair, he did wear the wayfarers in BB2K, but we do not speak of that movie)

Does anyone have a more definitive answer as to Elwoods shades?

http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/elwood-sunglasses-glasses-p-750.html

extra-image-1992.jpg

I haven't seen Ray Bans nor Persols that have those "merged" double circle pins... kind of like the shape of the MasterCard logo. They also have a slightly boxier shape than standard Wayfarers.

These are a pair of glasses we reproduced simply as a labor of love. I've been blowin' the harp for over 25 years now and am a big BB fan. These glasses are not a huge seller, but I didn't care... I wanted a pair for myself! ;)

extra-image-2119.jpg

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Awesome, thank you. Now, how difficult would it be to have the lenses replaced with prescription lenses, so I could wear them on occasion? It would have to be done by a professional, obviously, but is the lens shape common enough, or would they need to be custom made?

I suppose I could just wear contacts.

http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/images/extra_images/original/extra-image-1992.jpg

I haven't seen Ray Bans nor Persols that have those "merged" double circle pins... kind of like the shape of the MasterCard logo. They also have a slightly boxier shape than standard Wayfarers.

These are a pair of glasses we reproduced simply as a labor of love. I've been blowin' the harp for over 25 years now and am a big BB fan. These glasses are not a huge seller, but I didn't care... I wanted a pair for myself! ;)

http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/images/extra_images/original/extra-image-2119.jpg

Kind regards,
Magnoli

These look great!

BTW how did you design these? Did you have an original pair?

That is SO awesome. If I was in a better financial situation, I'd have you do the glasses from my favorite Sci fi series, The Lost Room. The pair shown on screen doesn't seem to exist anywhere in modern life. I would have loved to recreate them. My profile avatar here is from The Lost Room, and I own TheLostRoom.org website.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back