Genji Cosplay (Overwatch)

frejus

Hello!

This will be my first ever thread here on the RPF, so bare with me! :ninja

For my first ever cosplay, i did a lot of research material-wise, and spent countless hours watching all the propmaking and cosplaying legends! (Kamui Cosplay, PunishedProps, Evil Ted)

Character wise, im super hyped for Overwatch, and id be wanting to try making Genjis helmet (reference link for those who havent seen him: http://eu.battle.net/overwatch/en/heroes/genji) for a school project, but i decided to go ahead and make the whole thing!
My school has Laser cutters, 3D printers, saws, grinders, sanders,vacuu-forming, pretty much every single tool you could want for making props and armor.
I always wanted to try making stuff out of foam, so i got myself some well known EVA mats and started patterning.

The steps are all basic, nothing special.
Research (Blizzard reference kits!) -> Patterning -> Cutting -> Heat bending -> Glueing -> Plasti-dipping -> Painting -> Weathering

I will try to keep you updated on the project when i have made progress :) Currently at week 2, with some hours each day to work with. Helmet is currently 90 % done, missing a strap + LED´s. I will be using a balaclava with the attached "pony tail" scarf on the back.

Hope you like my build, havent seen anyone do Genji yet :)
(Also, huge thanks to Haerverk for being my sensei! :darnkids)

(Build start, tracing my patterns to foam, cutting, glueing, repeat)
progress-start.jpg

Last edited:
Update:

Had to rebuild the torso due to fitting technicalities, so now the main chestpiece will go over my head and attach with magnets + straps. Also, helmet has had its paintjob and weathering done, so now it only needs LED´s fitted, green lens attached, and lastly modify my balaclava with the "ponytail" scarf :)

Heres the updated torso, also made size changes to some of the elemets here:
prosess-midten.jpg

Helmet with paintjob and weathering completed (needs a clearcoat i guess, also the green lens is not attached yet )

Last edited:
Update!

Glued most of the torso together today, tomorrow i will start plasti-dipping, fitting in magnets, and maybe get some painting done!

I also did a test fit with some mockup lightning, which turned out pretty good!
The small metal "knobs" on the chest, shoulders etc are being 3D printed at the moment, and will be ready soon, so i guess the chestpiece will be pretty much complete by early next week!

progress-12-14.jpg

On a sidenote, i made the panels for the rib area as well, but didnt take a picture. As mentioned, i plan on gluing it directly to the undersuit after ive plastdipped and painted them.

armor.jpg

Cheers!

The torso is near complete, started painting today, applying the hexagon pattern to the brown/copper parts of the armor, and completed the small knobs on the chestplate!

The hexagon pattern was made using a laser-cut acrylic sheet as a template and gradually putting layers of copper plasti-dip on top of a coat of brown camo plast dip. The effeact came out pretty nice :)

Knobs are 3D printed, primed and sanded with spray filler, and painted with some silver/metallic acrylics (not shown in pic)

Chest needs a coat of white and some cleaning up around the black and gray areas, and then its time for details, weathering, lights and straps/magnets!

Cheers!

20160418_140936.jpg20160418_142020.jpg20160418_180337.jpg

Update:

Finished painting and weathering the torso! Only lights missing now (in the shoulders, abdomen and visor)
and the strapping/magnet mechanism :)

Helmet got a new strap, visor in place and "ears" attached, and i also had to make a thick wire "frame" on the inside to help it not band and become too wide!

The paintjob was made using standard rattlecan acrylics, and weathered with watered down acrylics!

Next i will probably start on legs and arms!

kropp.jpg

hjelm.jpg
Helmet test fit!

Awesome work, I'm looking forward to seeing you finish this! I'm also planning on doing Genji as my first cosplay (especially after seeing all the wonderful Overwatch cosplay at Pax East this past weekend), I'm so hyped! I'm also surprised that there is a lack of Genji cosplays, but that's probably going to change real soon haha. If I may ask, what material are you using for the lens part of the helmet? And hows your vision with the helmet on?

Awesome work, I'm looking forward to seeing you finish this! I'm also planning on doing Genji as my first cosplay (especially after seeing all the wonderful Overwatch cosplay at Pax East this past weekend), I'm so hyped! I'm also surprised that there is a lack of Genji cosplays, but that's probably going to change real soon haha. If I may ask, what material are you using for the lens part of the helmet? And hows your vision with the helmet on?

Glad you like it, wish i could see it for myself, but the trip from Norway would be pricey for a poor student :(
The lens material (which is also used for every "green" lightning detail in the abs, shoulders etc.) is actually Mountain Dew PET bottles! Cut into shape and hot glued in place! The neon green tint of the bottle makes for a close to perfect match to the reference!

The vision is actually good! I was really concerned i would be 90% blind, but it turned out to be great! Its even good with the LED mounted over my eyes! :D

I was wondering if you had any tips or link me a video on how to pattern. I was planning on doing genji myself. But whenever I do any patterning I struggle drawing the patterns transferring from a 3d model to 2d template. I can easily do the flat stuff, but anything curved starts to not look right.

I was wondering if you had any tips or link me a video on how to pattern. I was planning on doing genji myself. But whenever I do any patterning I struggle drawing the patterns transferring from a 3d model to 2d template. I can easily do the flat stuff, but anything curved starts to not look right.

Well, im really not a great patterning champion, but the way i did it was simple enough. I made a mannequin of myself, so i could tape it with painters tape, and use that to draw directly onto "my own body". This way the armor will kind of bend the right way. Shoulders and helmet was a bit trickier though, i suggest you watch some of EvilTed or Punished props videos on foam armor, they are GOLD!

On a sidenote, Sorry for the lack of progress in the thread, final exams are coming closer, so the project has been moving slowly.

The past week i completed the shoulders, strapping of everything, the scarf/ponytail (although it needs some more detaling, figured this out after actualy playing Genji in the Overwatch open beta!) and of course, LIGHTS!

The legs/shins have been cut and are waiting to be glued and formed, and ive also got a little suprise next week :)

Here´s where im at (Lights in helmet is photoshopped, as it´s missing its battery for the moment!)
progress-mai.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Coming out really solid!
Thanks a lot :D

TBH you did an amazing job for your first cosplay. You really have a gift! I've seen a lot of cosplayers who first start off, most don't even come close to this (I was the same). But man I can't wait to see the finished product, and your future products.

on a side note: GL on exams.

Looks awesome so far! I'm working on Bedouin Genji as my first cosplay. How did you get such smooth angled cuts on the edges of the torso piece?

Looks awesome so far! I'm working on Bedouin Genji as my first cosplay. How did you get such smooth angled cuts on the edges of the torso piece?

Thanks a lot man! Working on the legs atm as i type :) Going to have this finished soon, as school is almost out! As to the angled cuts, its only a sharp knife and some practise! Took me one failed torso to get the results i have posted here :)
Hope to see some of your Bedouin Genji soon, L O V E that skin :D !

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back