1:1 ESB Luke/Vader Reveal Helmet Sculpt - Need RPF Help!

MasterEdi

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This past weekend, I just barely started a new sculpt. But I could really use help from our RPF experts...
CF72040F-2516-423D-9EF7-5BADF0BA1948.jpeg

I’ve been wanting to sculpt the Luke/Vader helmet for a while now. I’ve done what research I could on the internet. Learning that a lifemask was pulled from Mark, and a Luke head prop was made, but never used. Instead of using the prop, they simply opted to have Mark stick his head through a hole on the Dagobah set. (It was already built a few feet off the ground for puppeteering Yoda) ... The Hamill sculpt I can handle, but what I really need help on is the Helmet! So far I really only have 2 reference photos to work from...
F91452BE-9AB9-4BD2-8D8B-F171AD9FC47E.jpegEEF897FC-3717-4DF5-8371-FFFC16DF06AE.jpeg

Does anyone know of any additional photos of this helmet??
Any other references???
Especially the side I can’t see

... your help would be Greatly appreciated!

Seriously can’t wait to see where this goes! Your a phenomenal artist!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This past weekend, I just barely started a new sculpt. But I could really use help from our RPF experts...
View attachment 775217

I’ve been wanting to sculpt the Luke/Vader helmet for a while now. I’ve done what research I could on the internet. Learning that a lifemask was pulled from Mark, and a Luke head prop was made, but never used. Instead of using the prop, they simply opted to have Mark stick his head through a hole on the Dagobah set. (It was already built a few feet off the ground for puppeteering Yoda) ... The Hamill sculpt I can handle, but what I really need help on is the Helmet! So far I really only have 2 reference photos to work from...
View attachment 775218View attachment 775219

Does anyone know of any additional photos of this helmet??
Any other references???
Especially the side I can’t see

... your help would be Greatly appreciated!

You could try and reference from the esb mold of the helmet nd just cut out the helmet or use a rubies, from what I’m told the rubies is a mold from the old don post cast just modified to look like rots

You could try and reference from the esb mold of the helmet nd just cut out the helmet or use a rubies, from what I’m told the rubies is a mold from the old don post cast just modified to look like rots

Great idea for getting an accurate shape! Thanks!

I thought this was insane... In trying to find reference for my sculpt, I came across this video on YouTube. Apparently back in the late 80’s, some people were actually allowed to go in to the Lucasfilm archives, and play with the Props!??!?!! ... This would be sacrilegious for us today!

Last edited by a moderator:
With these open welcome visits no wonder why lightsabers and other Props have gone missing... what a shame...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is looking really good. I second the Rubies idea, would save a lot of hassle and with the facemask blow up most of the accuracy issues tht come with it would be gone. Just make sure the dome is thickened up.

Learning that a lifemask was pulled from Mark, and a Luke head prop was made, but never used. Instead of using the prop, they simply opted to have Mark stick his head through a hole on the Dagobah set. (It was already built a few feet off the ground for puppeteering Yoda) ...

I always thought they used the lifecast in the first shot when the mask blows open then Hamill’s real head on the second shot. Would make sense not to put an actor’s head into a mask rigged with explosives.

This is looking really good. I second the Rubies idea, would save a lot of hassle and with the facemask blow up most of the accuracy issues tht come with it would be gone. Just make sure the dome is thickened up.

I always thought they used the lifecast in the first shot when the mask blows open then Hamill’s real head on the second shot. Would make sense not to put an actor’s head into a mask rigged with explosives.

... I just got the Rubies in the mail today in fact! So I’ll be working on this sculpt shortly... your absolutely right about the life cast being used for the explosion, I forgot to mention that. :thumbsup
Also, a fellow SW fanatic sent me this pic! I forgot that Hot Toys had made a 1/6 scale version! ... Which at least gives me something to work with, for the side we don’t see
75D64360-4E21-487C-9AF1-34DF7182521D.jpeg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back