Blade Runner 2049 Dr. Ana Stelline's Hologram Controller

I had heard that is was a physical, tangible prop. I believe Adam Savage from Tested on Youtube said that he got to handle it when he was on set.

Yes, that's correct. This has already been mentioned in this thread. Besides, one of the images from the art book is a photograph of the physical prop.

The device is 100% custom. It was made so the actress could move and change the position as part of her performance. I think some of the movement is based on lenses but the whole thing is custom made.

This is both amazing and a huge bummer from a maker point of view.

i only found one image and it was referred to as the 'memory orb' mike-hill-memory-orb-mike-hill-blade-runner-2049.jpg

Hi All,

The information I have is that it was physical (perhaps some cgi you can never be 100%) if you listen here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5Gw3cAh41A

Adam savage talks about the item being 100% custom made and fully functional. It would blow my mind to see something so beautiful being 100% handmade, and with no uplcose view as yet - we will have to wait and see.

P

There's a Nikon logo on the Mike Hill Design image.
View attachment 766059

But I think we're looking at two different props, compare the Mike Hill Design image to the BR 2049 art book.

View attachment 766060

To me, it looks like Mike Hill is a CGI design and the book picture is of the actual prop.

If you look closely at the left half of the Mike Hill design, the letters and numbers are a mirror image, so it appears that this is probably digitally manipulated?

If you look closely at the left half of the Mike Hill design, the letters and numbers are a mirror image, so it appears that this is probably digitally manipulated?

Cheers TrickyZ. I spotted that, but couldn't work out why it was the case due to my ignorance of 3d design (I'm strictly analogue, cuts, blisters and ink/paint under the fingernails). Working at that level of detail for a concept design seems like overkill to me, incredible though it looks. And a potential headache for fans because there are two designs to choose from.

I would trust the one Adam Harlocker showed to Adam Savage. I did a Google image search for 10-30 VR, and scoured through pages and pages of Nikon lenses, none of which seemed to match the prop. Oh well.

Nothing to choose from...for me the accurate one is the one being used in the movie;) Seems that everything on that prop has been scratch built.

According to the Adam Savage video, most of the custom props are digital designs grown and custom painted. These guys are very clever. All the props I've seen are awesome.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171102/e82b703f76b4d7e27bc947f93fb89dd9.jpeg
The text circled poorly in green is pretty close along with the small nub next to it. The two buttons look like a match to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great find.

Bear in mind though that although similar elements seem to have been used on the practical prop, the main pic you are referencing is a CG mockup not the hero prop Adam featured in the Tested video.

Thanks for sharing!

Decided to play around in tinkercad. It's a start. Lots of detail to work on, and wish I had better measurements. I guess I'll just have to watch the movie over and over. :lol

I'll start adding buttons and other little details later this week. Gonna need to tweak some measurements too. This will be my little 3D modeling side project.

Memory Orb.PNG

In the video Adam Savage made with this (https://youtu.be/1fAk0CObPE4?t=6m30s) Doug Harlocker goes into how the actor was able to make the different rings spin with the different buttons & speed and whatnot. How would something like that be done? I would assume a motor fixed to an internal framework for each ring and an arduino or something to control it all.

Also the numbers on the outer ring seem to be in a completely random order. 00-18-28?-35-...-220-255-280-300 with the numbers being added bewteen each step being (00+)18+10+7+...+35+25+20. The step between 10&7 and 35&25 are about a multiplication of 1.4. maybe just rounded from a wave function? I don't have a clue!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back