Blade Runner Blaster (?) in new death note movie

veektohr

I'm in PA. I have a buddy in Japan and I had him modify injection molds to make me a specific revolver I use a lot. So, he did a run of them for me. Molds are long shot. Scrapped them. I use these when we film danger close.

I'm chatting with some "guys" now about doing a small in depth video on this gun just for you guys. So, stay tuned. We're going to shoot it in a couple days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't wait! Wish we could see what would have been for your BR 2049 design. I love how thought-out your designs are. Wish I still lived on the east coast so I could talk you into letting me sweep the shop floors :). Looking forward to your video! :cheers

@veektohr

I'm in PA. I have a buddy in Japan and I had him modify injection molds to make me a specific revolver I use a lot. So, he did a run of them for me. Molds are long shot. Scrapped them. I use these when we film danger close.

I'm chatting with some "guys" now about doing a small in depth video on this gun just for you guys. So, stay tuned. We're going to shoot it in a couple days.

Lol... I wish I had a quarter every time someone asked to sweep my floors. I would happily if there was a good worker that could take direction and only do what I need them to do. Not, do things their way. Sadly, I have yet to find guys or gals that would fit the bill. Another prop buddy of mine are kicking around some ideas about internships. We actually have one really good idea. We have been scoping out properties.

Yup.... one of mine too. Lol Yes, we're all blade runner fans. I built this gun before the new blade runner guns were being designed. We beat them to the punch... so to speak.

- - - Updated - - -
@sean

Because Netflix let me build for them and after years of being in contact with Alcon, the studio decided to run with someone else. Lol

Watching the movie now, the gun is gorgeous, must have...

I've been pursuing the Dekkard Blade Runner Blaster design aesthetic for a very long time.... my first public attempt was Spooner's gun in iROBOT.

The homage was first suggested by the director with another interesting suggestion by the prop master and there is an homage to my late mom there too.... but you'll never see it until you see it.

This is one of my all time favourite attempts at a Dekkard Blaster aesthetic .... and Kenney did a wonderful job in bringing it to life. Go Kenney.

:)

Last edited:
Hi Ray,

Good to see you here. Yes, we're doing a film on the gun tomorrow and we're posting a link here. I was going to add you in the discussion. I didn't want to talk about it here too much until we did the short film. As for your Rhino meshes you do.... yes they aid in seeing different angles when I need a top view or side view etc. But you failed to mention the hours I put in to recreate a usable solid model of all the parts... create clearances, joints, cavities, design around a real gun and not a trace mock up off a picture, machine, print, fit, paint, coat, plate, electronics, blank fire mods, molds, cast parts, etc etc.

A lot of times a prop master gives us a mesh art, which is great for visual effects guys, but then thinks we can just run with that. We can't. It's not usable. Then they argue with us because we charge for our CAD models because they think they're were giving us a CAD to start when they're not. And yes there was BR homage. I knew that from the start. Again, I was going to put that all in the video short we were doing tomorrow. But, you weren't the only one on the BR wagon. I had mutual communication going on for years with Alcon Entertainment. A part time agent of mine had discussions in play with Ford Productions. Ultimately, it didn't happen. For the record, though, about 85 to 90 percent of all my builds... I was the designer as well as the fabricator.

That is true I did fail to mention that...... and the phone calls back and forth. Always a delight working out design issues with you Kenney as I learn a little more each time. That never happens with anybody else.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the film for what it was, and it's always interesting to me when the props outclass the film so drastically. They stand out. The last film I can remember seeing it to this degree was Showtime with Eddie Murphy. Thankfully that shotgun was retooled and used in Firefly so it got the love it deserved.

I really dig this pistol design, and I do like how it worked into the story. It would have been nice to see more of it in the film. :)

The death note book itself was interesting too. Might have to make myself one of those.

Looking forward to the video!

Good afternoon, folks. I run the largest Blade Runner fan group, on Facebook, and this blaster has caught our eye in a big way. Is it okay to post a link to this discussion, as I believe our members would be very interested? Especially in your work, Kenney and Ray!!

Please let me know. Beautiful work here. Just gorgeous. A real collector's piece that would look amazing next to the Tomenosuke...

Scoots3567

I don't have a problem with the link but I don't think it's up to me. I guess that's a question for one of the moderators here.

On another note, we were unable to do our short because one gentleman is away at his cottage until Friday (very bad reception) and the other gentleman is in the U.K. So, needless to say... coordination is challenging since I'm extremely busy with X-Men and the new Dwayne Johnson film Skyscraper. So I think the video will need to wait but I'll start posting pics here for now. Should we just keep the thread going or should I start another? Whatever you guys want to do.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. if there is interest, I'll do a run. I will be willing to pull some of my film designated "internal gun" stash for a run.

A run you say?...

INTERESTED!!!!!
;)

-B89!

@Scoots3567

I don't have a problem with the link but I don't think it's up to me. I guess that's a question for one of the moderators here.

On another note, we were unable to do our short because one gentleman is away at his cottage until Friday (very bad reception) and the other gentleman is in the U.K. So, needless to say... coordination is challenging since I'm extremely busy with X-Men and the new Dwayne Johnson film Skyscraper. So I think the video will need to wait but I'll start posting pics here for now. Should we just keep the thread going or should I start another? Whatever you guys want to do.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. if there is interest, I'll do a run. I will be willing to pull some of my film designated "internal gun" stash for a run.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back