Deep Space 9

Wait we got next gen in hd blu ray so why couldnt they release the others? When they were all shot on the same medium as next gen???

Wait we got next gen in hd blu ray so why couldnt they release the others? When they were all shot on the same medium as next gen???

They were all shot on film, no problem there. But the effects for DS9 and VOY relied much more on CGI which was done at SD resolution. TNG had model elements shot on film that just needed new HD CGI backgrounds, but most of the shots in the others will need to be redone from scratch. That's a lot more work and expense for shows that are not as popular.

I admire your optomism, but seriously, that will be a few years from now IF ever.

"Never put off today......

I'm not going to read any of the past comments in this thread--lest I read spoilers that I would regret in the event you convince me to keep watching this series. So far, that's the first 6 episodes completed in season 1, I'm bored. Really bored. I find this show a total snooze fest. I wanna like it! I love TOS. I like Next Gen (except for Riker). I liked Enterprise very much. And I loved Voyager. But this series?? Through six episodes, these are my impressions:

* The show seems downright amateurish--borderline fan film quality--in its writing, acting, direction and cinematography.
* I don't find any of the characters remotely interesting. At first, I was intrigued by Sisko. But while he's still likable enough, he's so stiff I now think he's boring.
* Dax, although a drop-dead beauty, is played by a horrible actress. That ditzy voice of hers rattling off techno-jargon is downright cringeworthy.
* The butch red-headed chick's aggressiveness is beyond annoying. Also a terrible actress.
* Quark is okay, I guess. But quite honestly, those Ferengi are very difficult to look at, and I think are better seen less frequently--not in the featured role he seems to have.
* The doctor is completely unremarkable. But if I had to remark on him, I'd say his accent bugs.
* The shape-shifting chief of security is about the only semi-interesting character on the show. But that's not nearly enough, with all its other deficits.

I've only struggled through it this long, because I know a bunch of people love the show, and I wanted to give it a fair chance. But how big of a sample size do I really need, to know whether or not I will ever begin to like this series? Are the half-dozen episodes I've watched enough? Do I throw in the towel now? Or does this show, like some other series, take a while longer to find their stride? Does the series get appreciably better?

Thanks.

The Wook

ps~There is one interesting character to me, but she's barely in the show. She's an extra on the bridge, who wears the same peach-colored uniform as the butch chick. Well, I know I'm not alone in loving getting glimpses of her, because whoever directs these episodes puts her extraordinarily hot fanny in the background of so many shots. lol In fact, in the one episode where Quark opened up his gambling room, the director had her butt squarely facing the camera in the background and then lean over a gambling table. lmao It was so obvious, he positioned her that way and instructed her to do that. In the brief moments we've seen her slightly out-of-focus face, she looks very pretty--and as stated--has a derriere to die for. Sadly, through six eps, she's not even come close to uttering a line. If I knew her role was expanded in later eps, I'd surely keep watching. ;)

@The Wook : Please don't give up. :) The first season (aside from the pilot movie) is a bit of a drag, true. Babylon 5 had much better scripts and more dynamics. That's why the show was seen as the "stepchild" of "space station shows" at that time. However, DS9 is developing. Season 2 has two awesome episodes ("The Maquis" and the season finale). Season 3 gives the show more drive with the introduction of the "Defiant" which is one of the most beautiful ship designs in SciFi history. The stories get better and better, even the Ferengi get their moments. Once you have gone through all the cheesiness and weaker episodes you will be rewarded by SEASON 4. With that season the show gets awesome - and this is the main reason why it is so cherished by the fans. Seasons 1 - 3 are the prelude, so-to-speak. Seasons 4 - 7 will give you spectacular action (LOTS of it!), fine character moments, exciting and creative stories and a very dramatic finale.

@The Wook : Please don't give up. :) The first season (aside from the pilot movie) is a bit of a drag, true. Babylon 5 had much better scripts and more dynamics. That's why the show was seen as the "stepchild" of "space station shows" at that time. However, DS9 is developing. Season 2 has two awesome episodes ("The Maquis" and the season finale). Season 3 gives the show more drive with the introduction of the "Defiant" which is one of the most beautiful ship designs in SciFi history. The stories get better and better, even the Ferengi get their moments. Once you have gone through all the cheesiness and weaker episodes you will be rewarded by SEASON 4. With that season the show gets awesome - and this is the main reason why it is so cherished by the fans. Seasons 1 - 3 are the prelude, so-to-speak. Seasons 4 - 7 will give you spectacular action (LOTS of it!), fine character moments, exciting and creative stories and a very dramatic finale.

Thanks for the feedback, Galactican. So, did I miss the "pilot movie" you mentioned? I'm watching the series on Netflix, and started at Season 1, Episode. To date, I've completed the first six episodes. What's the pilot movie? Was that separate, or is that like the first two episodes?

The Wook

ds9.jpg

In the true counting of the show's episodes, the premiere, broadcast as a two-hour event, counts as two episodes, and was later syndicated as such.
Netflix has it at its original full length as a single episode, "Emissary Parts 1 & 2", but it's the first thing listed in the season, so I'm sure you didn't miss it.

Yes, I meant the first two eps, "Emissary". I recommend watching the feature-length version. The two-part version is missing a short sequence at the beginning of part 2 (at least here in Germany): O'Brien is trying to beam Odo back on the bridge. After his first attempts have failed he kicks the console - and Odo finally appears. The Runabout takes off and heads for the worm hole. :)

View attachment 713874

In the true counting of the show's episodes, the premiere, broadcast as a two-hour event, counts as two episodes, and was later syndicated as such.
Netflix has it at its original full length as a single episode, "Emissary Parts 1 & 2", but it's the first thing listed in the season, so I'm sure you didn't miss it.

Thanks, Treadwell. Then I did, indeed, see it/them.

Which, TBH, @Galactican, has me wondering if you and I have the same tastes, given that you indicated the pilot movie was not a drag. I found it to be very much of a drag. So, when you say the series gets good later on, I'm wondering if I'll agree.

I dunno. I'll wait to see what advice anyone else might offer up. Because, my God, these are long-ass seasons, and you're telling me that by the end of Season 2, the series will have had 2 awesome episodes, 2 that are not a drag, and the rest are a bit of a drag. That's 41 out of 45 episodes to that point that are a bit of a drag, to use your description. Not sure I can suffer through 41 hours of boredom, to get to a Season 3 which only begins to get more drive, and that the show doesn't really take off until Season 4. Ooof.

Hopefully some other folks will chime in.

Thanks,

The Wook

This really is the best of the spin offs, and I think you'll see some improvement in just a few more episodes. And I take umbrage with your assessment of the two leading ladies, especially the "butch" one. These two in particular, but the whole cast really have quite an arc over the course of the show.

TNG took three seasons to get it's footing. DS9 was pretty solid after a dozen or so episodes, and bested TNG in my opinion.

never. i found ds9 boring on first watch. it took continous viewing to appreciate it.

TNG always wins out in my book.

lots to like in the first few seasons, i think. where as ds9 seemed more about religion and borings..er, barjorans..

The Wook I don't know bro the show might not be your cup of Tea.

All I can say is you should watch the whole Series, you have watched all the other incarnations.

Maybe you should watch one of my favorite Episode, "In The Pale Moonlight" Garak was rocking that episode!

Last edited by a moderator:
Deep Space Nine took some time to get used to for me. As an enthusiastic TNG -fan the whole look and lighting of the new show really stood out at first, but then after a while I began to appreciate it. This was not your shiny Starfleet ship with its morally evolved crew, but a crossroad mixing pot of all sorts of characters, many of them involved in personal agendas, be they monetary, religious or political.

There are many good episodes in the first two seasons, as stated above, but also some where you wonder 'What were they thinking?' For me, episodes like 1x10 'Move Along Home' and 1x16 'If Wishes were Horses' are hard to watch, bordering on the edge of silliness. But then there's shows like 1x15 'Progress' and 1x18 'Duet' which are basically two-man pieces that could have played in an old school theater. Don't skip these two!
Also, nearly every episode in the beginning adds a piece about life under cardassian occupation which shaped all non-Starfleet personnel there on the station. I didn't like the Bajoran religious stuff at first when the show aired, but *shrug*, well, I got used to it, and the focus shifts with the Dominion conflict.

I am not a convinced fan of the big space battles in later seasons, although they admittetly look great... it just goes against my understanding of TNG's idea of Starfleet as a force of peaceful exploration and discovery (which I prefer). But I get the idea, that the writers wanted to make this show the 'grown up' version of Roddenberry's utopia.

I am currently re-watching TNG (remastered HD) with my girlfriend, she was unfamiliar with any Trek. We're halfway through season 3, when we get to season 6 later I plan to begin DS9 as well. Guess it helps that O'Brien is already a familiar face.

Another vote for giving it more time. I also remember how tough it was getting through the first season especially, but ultimately nearly all of DS9 revolves around firstly, the Wormhole, and secondly, the Prophets/Sisko. At this point in your viewing that may sound excruciating, but a lot of the story they are telling now about the Prophets and Sisko, the Bajorans and the Cardassians, etc. is background info that will be helpful going forward. Don't get me wrong, the show is never so complicated that you couldn't figure things out if you skipped forward, but you may find yourself somewhat confused later on at times.

In addition to the writing getting better as Season 3 begins, a new cast of recurring characters emerge as well. In addition to some new, interesting aliens and a few familiar faces too. Most of which are more enjoyable than the starring cast IMO (Weyoun, Garak, Martok). As the show pushes forward it does challenge to an extent what we have come to know as Starfleet/The Federation from TNG which I liked.

Apollo's suggestion above (In the Pale Moonlight) might be a good idea if you don't mind spoiling a little bit of future storylines. It's a pretty significant jump forward from where you are right now (S6:E19) but it doesn't really give away too much "big picture" wise and focuses solely on one particular event. If that episode doesn't at least pique your interest then yeah, maybe the show just isn't your thing.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back