The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread

Anyone have better shots of the gloves (in the 'backpack'-lookin' scene)? They look really cool, was maybe wanting to try my hand at making 'em!

Trying to quickly wrap up my Vol. 1 build as well, still need the bag..! Can anyone speak to the quality of the bag from ThinkGeek? It's pretty cheap and looks okay (a bit light), just needs to get a bit tattered and darkened I guess! :) (tried using the search-thread function to look if anyone already mentioned this, undeadmith apparently got one a year ago if I'm not mistaken!)

Also wanted to share my cheap orb! I don't have a 3D printer and it's expensive to get the materials here in Belgium, so I can't make that sort of investment, so I decided to try my hand at making the orb myself :) It cost 6€ to make, 5,50€ for the magnets (YEP that's expensive) and 50 cents for the styrofoam ball x) ! Sure it's not movie-quality prop but it's fine for a 'con mini prop I can pose with! I still have to assemble inside, though! Just thought I'd share :)

View attachment 705791View attachment 705792View attachment 705793
Hye!

You are from Belgium too where ya from?

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Anyone have better shots of the gloves (in the 'backpack'-lookin' scene)? They look really cool, was maybe wanting to try my hand at making 'em!

Trying to quickly wrap up my Vol. 1 build as well, still need the bag..! Can anyone speak to the quality of the bag from ThinkGeek? It's pretty cheap and looks okay (a bit light), just needs to get a bit tattered and darkened I guess! :) (tried using the search-thread function to look if anyone already mentioned this, undeadmith apparently got one a year ago if I'm not mistaken!)

Also wanted to share my cheap orb! I don't have a 3D printer and it's expensive to get the materials here in Belgium, so I can't make that sort of investment, so I decided to try my hand at making the orb myself :) It cost 6€ to make, 5,50€ for the magnets (YEP that's expensive) and 50 cents for the styrofoam ball x) ! Sure it's not movie-quality prop but it's fine for a 'con mini prop I can pose with! I still have to assemble inside, though! Just thought I'd share :)

I have the ThinkGeek bag. It's pretty legit. I still need to dirty it up a bit to make it more SA, but the bag is functional and looks great. I tore a little hole in the interior lining with my laptop/overpacking, but that's my own fault. It's worth the price and saves the hassle from printing on vinyl and assembling yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also meant to add, your orb looks awesome! I went the same route with the styrofoam ball and sanding with a Dremel. Your paint job is better. Guess I need to revisit mine... hahaha!

So RDJ just did a Facebook live update with Chris Pratt in full costume. Star Lord in Avengers: Infinity War will be sporting the new Vol. 2 look, (short jacket) however, the rocket controls and ankle boosters are back!! (On the vol. 2 boots and pants) ....sooo some of you may want to consider when constructing your Vol. 2, or allow for modifications to be made later.

Last edited:
Just got the first prototype for my new run of spats! Will be changing the leather for more accurate one and adding the additional seaming, you can still be part of the first run on my thread and get them on time for the movie premiere!

9d3f318012203db056e00394e32e6244.jpg

Also meant to add, your orb looks awesome! I went the same route with the styrofoam ball and sanding with a Dremel. Your paint job is better. Guess I need to revisit mine... hahaha!

Ah thank you ^^ Yeah I tried usin' the dremel for the inside, but it got messy and it looked like I'd been out in the snow for a while xD So I got a pyrography pen (basically a softer soldering iron).. Just nearing the hot tip just carved instantly.. the only problem is that with the heat it's not possible to do small tiny details. The paint is straight up matte-ish black with Gamesworkshop Gunmetal Grey on top.. or whatever it's called now, it'll always be gunmetal grey to me XD

Last edited:
Updated:

View attachment Design Front 4.jpg

Any input on things I've got wrong?

There's still stuff to add like all the studs and stitching and the entire collar/back yoke piece, and the straps on the sleeve cuffs... and more, I'm sure. I'm not looking for what's been left off, just for anything incorrect.

I want to make the long coat but I'm having trouble actually finding material for it. As real leather costs an arm and a leg, I'm looking for a good faux leather. I haven't had much luck. Does anyone know where I could order some online?

I made a CW Flash costume a while back with faux leather from Big Z Fabrics. Which sucked. I wore the suit once for a charity event, put it in the closet, had another event to go to a couple days later, put it on, and it tore like crazy. The vinyl de-laminated from the nylon backing and ripped like tissue paper. So, I won't be using theirs again.

14658415_10202410667144953_337777572_n.jpg14686452_10202410667064951_404219082_n.jpg

I want to make the long coat but I'm having trouble actually finding material for it. As real leather costs an arm and a leg, I'm looking for a good faux leather. I haven't had much luck. Does anyone know where I could order some online?

I made a CW Flash costume a while back with faux leather from Big Z Fabrics. Which sucked. I wore the suit once for a charity event, put it in the closet, had another event to go to a couple days later, put it on, and it tore like crazy. The vinyl de-laminated from the nylon backing and ripped like tissue paper. So, I won't be using theirs again.

You're better off just coughing up the money for real leather. Pleather is nearly as expensive and doesn't last as long. It also has no resale value. Hide House has good prices. Look for lambskin. Runs about $35 a hide. You'll need several of course.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back