The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread

Bildschirmfoto 2017-02-08 um 14.13.26.png

found that reference picture of the pants..its a scene from the vol.2 movie but the pants look like the vol.1 pants just the rocket controls removed from them? What do you all think?

I was looking at those same pics yesterday. Looks like there's a lot of screen-printed twill on this jacket again. I'm having my guy look into whether he can do that.

I've been looking through all the high-res shots and videos I could find (IronManiac, that one is great!) and putting together some pics. These are pretty good for seeing some of the layers and textures of the jacket and coat.

My jacket guy seems pretty interested in making both of these, so over the next days/weeks, I'll be trying to get them all designed out.

I assume I'm right in thinking there have been no clear shots of the back of either one yet? I've got a couple side/blurry shots of the coat, and one terrible, dark, jet-pack covered shot of the jacket.

These same pictures as an imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/vn8aJ

- - - Updated - - -

And the coat images: http://imgur.com/a/z1oJv It won't let me upload them for some reason right now but that's them. Some of them are pretty huge, some are small and fuzzy.

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    842.5 KB · Views: 157
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 157
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 173
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 161
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 128
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 131
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 179
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 202
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 177
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    824.6 KB · Views: 149
The chest armor would be really cool to fabricate, even if it was just made of foam. I'm waiting for a pic of the back so I can see details of the rocket pack.

In other news, I got one of the pendants modeled for printing. Still looking for good pics of the other one.

IMG_2160.PNG

Great images of the jacket Zlurpo! Looks like one screen print texture to work with this time (as opposed to the one with different negative spaces randomly running through it).
I have a guy here that can do that print work. The back of the shoulder looks to be a textured leather. May be harder to source.

Start by searching for perforated vinyl or leather. There are lots of variants of it. Car or boat upholstery suppliers will have some types. Also keep in mind that the lighting and weathering probably make the holes appear larger than they actually are.

Thats actually a good point, car upholstery is heavier weight and comes in all sorts of patterns and materials. They might be ideal for something like a jacket.

Thanks for all the pics being posted. I think Im gonna try my hand at making the scarf. I may have extras if I have excess fabric. Im thinking it looks like a straight up linen with like a 1/4inch of fringed on the ends.

Last edited:
Pretty sure the scarf has some screen printing on it, if you zoom in on it, it has some shiny patterned parts:

scarf.jpg

And for the perforated leather, it's available in some capacities. Here's some on a kill bill jacket:
kb-080-2.jpg

It's not in the same pattern, but it's pretty close to the same idea.

I think that may just be a trick of the light and what looks shiny may just be his shirt showing through the material.

Look on the other side of the scarf, there's the same pattern but it's dark, not shiny. If it were thin parts in the scarf, you would see more red scarf through it, not the light gray shirt. And if you *did* see the shirt through it, it would be much darker, since it has the scarf's shadow on it.

Anyone have better shots of the gloves (in the 'backpack'-lookin' scene)? They look really cool, was maybe wanting to try my hand at making 'em!

Trying to quickly wrap up my Vol. 1 build as well, still need the bag..! Can anyone speak to the quality of the bag from ThinkGeek? It's pretty cheap and looks okay (a bit light), just needs to get a bit tattered and darkened I guess! :) (tried using the search-thread function to look if anyone already mentioned this, undeadmith apparently got one a year ago if I'm not mistaken!)

Also wanted to share my cheap orb! I don't have a 3D printer and it's expensive to get the materials here in Belgium, so I can't make that sort of investment, so I decided to try my hand at making the orb myself :) It cost 6€ to make, 5,50€ for the magnets (YEP that's expensive) and 50 cents for the styrofoam ball x) ! Sure it's not movie-quality prop but it's fine for a 'con mini prop I can pose with! I still have to assemble inside, though! Just thought I'd share :)

16559377_1229209580461831_346718532_n.jpg16650106_1229209587128497_236712643_n.jpg16652662_1229209583795164_955452249_n.jpg

Start by searching for perforated vinyl or leather. There are lots of variants of it. Car or boat upholstery suppliers will have some types. Also keep in mind that the lighting and weathering probably make the holes appear larger than they actually are.

You're right. It could be a regular perforation pattern that just looks squarish due to lighting and weathering.

Thats actually a good point, car upholstery is heavier weight and comes in all sorts of patterns and materials. They might be ideal for something like a jacket.

Actually, no. At least on the heavyweight. With that many layers, you want lighter weight. Like anything heavier than 2oz is going to be a needle buster on the corners and anywhere you have multiple layers of overlap.

And for the perforated leather, it's available in some capacities. Here's some on a kill bill jacket:
View attachment 705764

It's not in the same pattern, but it's pretty close to the same idea.

My regular leather source is hidehouse out of Napa. They do carry perforated in red... It is a standard perf, but that may be all we need.
https://hidehouse.com/products/index.html?Product_ID=1875

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back