Making a Murderer on Netflix

I live 30 minutes from the Avery's and have a close friend that is Theresa's cousin. My wife also has to make visits to private property sites in that county as part of her job so it all hits a little too close to home to watch.

this is ironic! the I'm remodeling a kitchen at night right now, the home owner has been talking to me about this show for the last couple of days!

I have yet to see it but she keeps telling me it's very scary

I'm gonna have to check it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live 30 minutes from the Avery's and have a close friend that is Theresa's cousin. My wife also has to make visits to private property sites in that county as part of her job so it all hits a little too close to home to watch.

I finished it over the holidays. I'd love to hear your take with it being local to you.

Man, the kid's original defense lawyer is such an unbelievable d-bag :facepalm

Weirdly, he really reminded me of William H Macey's character in Fargo....

Last edited:
I remember when this was going on. Unfortunately the production left out a TON of information that would make Avery look extemely guilty

I remember when this was going on. Unfortunately the production left out a TON of information that would make Avery look extemely guilty
Ive heard alot about "leaving a ton out..." but yet to hear any of what was left out. Did a search and really only found small things left out that wounldnt make or brake the case. His attorney even came out to say nothing really big was left out. can you help clear the air on whats missing?

A lot of interesting stuff here: http://stevenaverycase.com/#sthash.b58JnrVd.dpbs

The site has a pro-prosecution leaning, but it does a lot of stuff not included in the documentary or in Krantz's list of evidence the doc omitted.

Ive heard alot about "leaving a ton out..." but yet to hear any of what was left out. Did a search and really only found small things left out that wounldnt make or brake the case. His attorney even came out to say nothing really big was left out. can you help clear the air on whats missing?

Yeah there is a lot more to the story than the documentary is showing
http://stevenaverycase.com/what-making-a-murderer-didnt-tell-you/#sthash.DW0YKiUt.dpbs

he called at a few time using *67 to mask his number, but then calling again once afterwards not using *67 to help set up an "alibi" of sorts.
He had specifically asked for the same girl to be sent out. She had mentioned to coworkers how she was kind of scared of him

Her phone, camera, and PDA were in a burn barrel on his property. He was seen by witnesses at that burn barrel not long after she was last heard from

The bullet was found in his garage on the first search

The bullet with her DNA was linked to Avery's own gun not just that model of gun

his blood found in her car, his sweat found under the hood of her car

The evidence seal on the blood vials was broken in a meeting with Avery's own lawyers

Last edited:
I finished it over the holidays. I'd love to hear your take with it being local to you.

I hesitate to speculate because I don't know anymore or less than anyone else sitting behind a keyboard....Ultimately, I think it's possible (and very likely) that Steven Avery is guilty AND just as likely that investigators/prosecutors that were out of their depth tipped the scales in their favor to assure that he he didn't walk on a technicality.

The whole scenario is tragic: Avery going to prison the first time. Brendan's manipulation by his Uncle and the investigators. Theresa's horrific last days on earth...all of it is just awful.

My problem with the way our justice system is now is the beyond a reasonable doubt part has completely disappeared . you are now required to prove your innocence .

The rational off our system originally was that we would rather let a dozen guilty people go free then convict one inoccent person.

Its unfortunate that he was unjustly incarcerated for all those years but you have to think, that could have saved someone from the same fate.

My problem with the way our justice system is now is the beyond a reasonable doubt part has completely disappeared . you are now required to prove your innocence .

The rational off our system originally was that we would rather let a dozen guilty people go free then convict one inoccent person.

I kinda think that was the overall message of the series, rather than the 'who-dunnit' aspects that everyone has (understandably) picked up on.

Further, the conviction of and continued imprisonment of Brendon Dassey is a testament to legal system's prriority of getting a successful prosecution rather than getting to the truth of the matter. The behaviour of Kachinski and Krantz ensured Dassey had zero chance of getting a fair trial, both acted in quite astonishly unethical ways to get Brendan convicted by public opinion long before his trial.

Its unfortunate that he was unjustly incarcerated for all those years but you have to think, that could have saved someone from the same fate.

This somewhat disregards the horrible crimes comitted by Greg Allen following Avery's arrest and conviction.

I hesitate to speculate because I don't know anymore or less than anyone else sitting behind a keyboard....Ultimately, I think it's possible (and very likely) that Steven Avery is guilty AND just as likely that investigators/prosecutors that were out of their depth tipped the scales in their favor to assure that he he didn't walk on a technicality.

Just finished watching last night and I agree with you. From what I gathered it seems likely that both are guilty but that the police are also guilty of "massaging" evidence. Not having all of the evidence available to us as viewers that the jury had, however, we cannot and should not make concrete assessments.

I also believe, that had the trials of Avery and his nephew taken place in a place like Los Angeles, the results would have been quite different. I was surprised that it wasn't at least a hung jury based on what we were shown on the show.

A few years ago, I was a juror in a murder trial in the Los Angeles area that went on for about 6 weeks. There was compelling evidence of guilt on the count of murder in the first degree and conspiracy to commit murder. The defendant was a Hispanic woman accused of bludgeoning her husband in his bed with a piece of steel pipe. He was then carried out into his truck (by co-conspirators, allegedly) and shot dead and abandoned under a freeway overpass. The prosecution's main witness was a Fillipino guy, neighbor across the street, who testified that he saw who he believed was the wife (it was nighttime) along with another person, load the body onto the victims pick-up truck. Partly due to the language barrier and largely because he kept changing his story, his testimony proved not credible. Without getting into more details, even though there was blood spatters on the defendant's jeans with her husband's DNA on it, we could not reach a unanimous verdict after 5 days of deliberating. We had 3 votes for guilty and 9 votes for not guilty on the mureder charge. On the conspiracy charge we were more evely split at 5 to 7, I believe. On the morning of the verdict, one lady wanted to change her vote on the murder charge to guilty but she never approached the Bailiff with that switch, and it was academic, anyway. The deliberating process was one of the worst experiences of my life. The whole thing became very personal and ugly.

Last edited:

i don't agree. If anything it's the other way around: it's harder to convict today. But I think reality is somewhere in the middle. I think for the most part the system works as well as humanly possible. For the most part... barring fiascos like the OJ trial.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back