The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread

I went ahead and went for the circle punch/xacto method and it's coming out pretty good. Have resharpen the blade a LOT, but I'm liking the result. Thanks for the help!

Got my Jacket from Indy Magnoli today :) here are couple quick pictures i took.
20150911_144313.jpg20150911_144323.jpg20150911_144518.jpg

Hey, guys, this thread has been so much fun to read. I bought a different variant myself, one that I haven't yet seen, but I'm highly optimistic about it.
The flash obscures the actual color, but I'm sure the color itself is actually very nice, as is the design, but most of all, the price! Just 120 total!

9_131.jpg2_254.jpg7_217.jpg
Obviously needs some modding, but the design is far better than the others I've seen.

Anyway, I was wowed upon finding the Waldes zipper links, and I must have those zippers. That's the coolest part of the jacket, as far I'm concerned, but, the link provided:
http://www.waldes.co.jp/classic2.html
You know, this one; has left me a tad confused.

I can't for the life of me find out how to actually order. People have bought them in this topic, so, any knowledge on how to actually do so will be much appreciated. I even emailed them, with no response back. I'm stuck with literally no clue.

Also, I'd rather not wait for my jacket to come first THEN have to wait on zippers, but I want to get the appropriate length of zipper. This one I ordered is a standard medium, so, can anyone give me a good estimate on the length of zipper I need for it, then I can buy it and have both the jacket and zipper at the same time?

That's all! Thanks for all the info! I hope you can help me out as well!

Last edited:
Had to chime back in:
been following this thread since last summer and it's been awesome to watch it grow. I based my helmet design off Helegak's 3D files but checked back for reference photos and tips constantly.

Finally debuted my Star Lord outfit last week at Dragon Con 2015 and thought I'd share here (since it was an integral part of making the outfit come together). Everything but the jacket/pants/walkman are homemade (the bag custom made by rtsstudios on twitter/IG, not here)

20150905_160037.jpg20150905_160253.jpgCNxX4rqUkAA_VI3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, guys, this thread has been so much fun to read. I bought a different variant myself, one that I haven't yet seen, but I'm highly optimistic about it.
The flash obscures the actual color, but I'm sure the color itself is actually very nice, as is the design, but most of all, the price! Just 120 total!

View attachment 527652View attachment 527653View attachment 527654
Obviously needs some modding, but the design is far better than the others I've seen.

Anyway, I was wowed upon finding the Waldes zipper links, and I must have those zippers. That's the coolest part of the jacket, as far I'm concerned, but, the link provided:
http://www.waldes.co.jp/classic2.html
You know, this one.

I can't for the life of me find out how to actually order though. People have bought them in this topic, so, any knowledge on how to actually do so will be much appreciated. I even emailed them, with no response back. I have no clue.

Also, I'd rather not wait for my jacket to come first THEN have to wait on zippers, but I want to get the appropriate length of zipper. This one I ordered is a standard medium, so, can anyone give me a good estimate on the length of zipper I need for it, then I can buy it and have both the jacket and zipper at the same time?

That's all! Thanks for all the info! I hope you can help me out as well!

That looks like the cosplaysky jacket or a clone.

http://cosplaysky.com/guardians-of-...-quill-red-jacket-costume-cosplay-outfit.html

That was one of the earliest jackets for sale that had a reasonably accurate appearance.

As far as zipper size, you should contact whoever you bought it from and ask them. And lots of people try and don't get contact back from those zipper companies, it's not just you.

That looks like the cosplaysky jacket or a clone.

http://cosplaysky.com/guardians-of-...-quill-red-jacket-costume-cosplay-outfit.html

That was one of the earliest jackets for sale that had a reasonably accurate appearance.

As far as zipper size, you should contact whoever you bought it from and ask them. And lots of people try and don't get contact back from those zipper companies, it's not just you.

I actually found that one while browsing, but, I think that red is just... wrong. After a lot of research, I'm fairly certain there are two variants of the same design, so I opted for the dark maroon one, which is not only what I want, but I think suits this design a lot better.
The overall quality between jackets looks virtually identical, so I'd prefer the darker shade, especially since it's all faux leather anyway; very hard to change.

The brighter red version is only on Cosplay Sky, but the darker one is in a lot of places, from Ebay, Aliexpress, and the like.

And thanks for the zipper recommendations... hope I can find those posts again.

Last edited:
Waldes is not the correct zipper. You can get the right one through an ongoing run here on the forum, or if he isn't still selling them, shoot me a pm because I've got an extra.

Waldes is not the correct zipper. You can get the right one through an ongoing run here on the forum, or if he isn't still selling them, shoot me a pm because I've got an extra.

To not have to then deal with this site? How can I say no to that??? :D

Shot you an email already.

Just in case, can you link me to the actual topic, though? I wouldn't know where to find it otherwise.

I actually found that one while browsing, but, I think that red is just... wrong. After a lot of research, I'm fairly certain there are two variants of the same design, so I opted for the dark maroon one, which is not only what I want, but I think suits this design a lot better.
The overall quality between jackets looks virtually identical, so I'd prefer the darker shade, especially since it's all faux leather anyway; very hard to change.

The brighter red version is only on Cosplay Sky, but the darker one is in a lot of places, from Ebay, Aliexpress, and the like.

And thanks for the zipper recommendations... hope I can find those posts again.

Yeah, cosplaysky's red is why I passed it up. The other clone is on ebay, very dark...almost pure brown, and it has a thing on the right arm that is supposed to be the valve.

If you see any Star-Lord jacket on ebay tagged "slim fit" that is the variant I bought.

Yeah, cosplaysky's red is why I passed it up. The other clone is on ebay, very dark...almost pure brown, and it has a thing on the right arm that is supposed to be the valve.

If you see any Star-Lord jacket on ebay tagged "slim fit" that is the variant I bought.

Oh, man, don't say that. You mean it's so dark, it's nearly brown...?

Yikes, that's the one color I don't want. I asked another guy who sent me a jacket like that, and I passed it up for that reason too.
Hopefully not like this, right?

$_12.JPG

Yeesh, I might have to cancel if it's going to be this. Is there any way to change it, since it's artificial?

EDIT: Wait, I think THIS is the jacket you're talking about. This is not the same as the one I bought. If you look at the back, it's got a slightly differing pattern. Cosplay Sky and the one I sent are exact clones, this one is slightly different, nor does mine have the valve thing, and this one is also missing the left patch.
I hope I can be a bit more relaxed. I really don't think this is the color of mine.7_217.jpgback.JPG

Last edited:
Oh, man, don't say that. You mean it's so dark, it's nearly brown...?

Yikes, that's the one color I don't want. I asked another guy who sent me a jacket like that, and I passed it up for that reason too.
Hopefully not like this, right?

View attachment 527711

Yeesh, I might have to cancel if it's going to be this. Is there any way to change it, since it's artificial?

EDIT: Wait, I think THIS is the jacket you're talking about. This is not the same as the one I bought. If you look at the back, it's got a slightly differing pattern. Cosplay Sky and the one I sent are exact clones, this one is slightly different, nor does mine have the valve thing, and this one is also missing the left patch.
I hope I can be a bit more relaxed. I really don't think this is the color of mine.View attachment 527717View attachment 527718

I think that your color will not be "brown" like that, since it is a different maker. Should be okay. Although, I might ask them not to include that badge/patch on the upper left arm. You can buy better here, paint it, and attach it.

Also, you sure you don't want to try and spring for real leather? The "slim fit" jackets are under $150 real leather. You should be able to ask them not to use perforated leather to avoid the holes on the front.

Copy+paste this into ebay and check it out.

Guardians Of The Galaxy, Peter Quill, Star Lord Chris Pratt Slim Fit jacket BNWT

Last edited:
I think that your color will not be "brown" like that, since it is a different maker. Should be okay. Although, I might ask them not to include that badge/patch on the upper left arm. You can buy better here, paint it, and attach it.

Yeah, relief.

I was going to, but I think deviating from the set design at all costs too much extra, and, I can probably just remove it myself,. Not worth it to me.

Thing is, I'm not actually buying this for cosplay. I just wanted a badass, unique red jacket, and, there's not much cooler than this one. I'm still going to tweak it and add more touches from the film jacket I love (like the zipper), but I'm going to put my own pattern on it and just use it for myself in everyday wear. It's not Quill's jacket, it'll be mine. Thus, I won't even have badges on it at all.

Thought I'd share some of my own progress. I'm calling this my prototype jacket. I should have taken some of me wearing it, because it looks super boxy on this mannequin, which it isn't.

The pattern is drafted from scratch. Did a body block and broke it down into the individual parts.The body of the jacket is custom silkscreened cotton twill, dyed to get the right colors. There are a few pattern details I want to work out and the screening was a learning process, and I know now what I need to do to get it perfect. The color on the ink came out a little dark, and it needs to be clearer and heavier. A couple of the scraps used to block off the exposed areas on the platen came out absolutely perfect.

Super big thanks to Mike and Caitlin over at Contagious Costuming and Contagious Media Productions for hosting me in their living room for a weekend long crash course in screen printing. Also for essentially redoing my print pattern that was a little off.
Note: I don't take commissions, but they do.

11057864_759692504135018_2853478067816649899_n.jpg

Thought I'd share some of my own progress. I'm calling this my prototype jacket. I should have taken some of me wearing it, because it looks super boxy on this mannequin, which it isn't.

The pattern is drafted from scratch. Did a body block and broke it down into the individual parts.The body of the jacket is custom silkscreened cotton twill, dyed to get the right colors. There are a few pattern details I want to work out and the screening was a learning process, and I know now what I need to do to get it perfect. The color on the ink came out a little dark, and it needs to be clearer and heavier. A couple of the scraps used to block off the exposed areas on the platen came out absolutely perfect.

Super big thanks to Mike and Caitlin over at Contagious Costuming and Contagious Media Productions for hosting me in their living room for a weekend long crash course in screen printing. Also for essentially redoing my print pattern that was a little off.
Note: I don't take commissions, but they do.

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=bb92af6f9bd485683d2efe2e09c30cbc&oe=566D88AD

Really awesome. Yeah, definitely take some of you wearing it, and without a flash. Red is so hard to photograph because of flashes.

I'm curious too, what jacket did you use as your base? It doesn't look like the expensive one on Ebay, which indicates to me a lot was done solely on your own.

You do seem to be missing four/two gold buttons/snaps on the back, at the bottom, though, if you wanted to also add those.

Great job overall! How long did it take you, all-in-all, as well?

Really awesome. Yeah, definitely take some of you wearing it, and without a flash. Red is so hard to photograph because of flashes.

I'm curious too, what jacket did you use as your base? It doesn't look like the expensive one on Ebay, which indicates to me a lot was done solely on your own.

You do seem to be missing four/two gold buttons/snaps on the back, at the bottom, though, if you wanted to also add those.

Great job overall! How long did it take you, all-in-all, as well?

Ah yes. I completely forgot those snaps. Going to have to fix that poste haste.

The jacket is completely from scratch. I drafted a basic jacket body to my measurements. I'm actually a tailor by occupation as well.

All of these photos are sans flash. I had some lighting up to balance.

Absolutely beautiful jacket @Darth Mule

Thank you sir!

Wow, great job! :thumbsup Do you mind me if I ask where you got the leather and cotton twill? I'd love to hear more about how you drafted the pattern, too.

The twill I got from Carr Textiles. They have a range of colors. I actually started with wine and bleached, color removed, redyed... Might start in a different place next time as this was a trial and error process. They sell their full range through this retailer
http://www.sellfabric.com/store/c/81-Chino-Twills-8-oz.aspx
Though if you have a business, you can go direct through them for much cheaper.

Leather is from https://hidehouse.com/products/index.html?Category=GL&Product_ID=1418
I used Raspberry.

The jacket draft was based on the instructions from the Kawashima book, though you could use any basic jacket draft. If you don't have experience with that, you may be better off finding a basic jacket pattern (Burda has a few), mocking it up and drawing in all your lines.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back