Planet of the Apes 50th anniversary

CessnaDriver

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
For you kiddies, Apes franchise had a damn good run with tons of toys, was
quite the "Star Wars" of it's time in that regard.

Last edited by a moderator:
They're on Earth the whole time!!! Only in the future!!! They're not on another planet!!! They find the Statue of Liberty buried in the sand at the end!!!!

You can spot the Jupiter II and POTAs spacecraft in the studio lot during Roddy's helicopter ride......

Last edited by a moderator:
They're on Earth the whole time!!! Only in the future!!! They're not on another planet!!! They find the Statue of Liberty buried in the sand at the end!!!!

Troy McClure:

I hate every ape I see
From chimpan-a to chimpan-z,
No, you'll never make a monkey out of me.

Oh, my God, I was wrong,
It was Earth all along.
You finally made a monkey...

Apes:

Yes we finally made a monkey...

Troy and Apes:

Yes, you finally made a monkey out of me!

Was it really that big of a reveal? The first time I saw the movie it never even entered my mind that they weren't on Earth. Seemed so obvious. They're riding horses, growing corn fields, got trees, baby dolls, rifles. People always talk like this was some big "Sixth Sense" type plot twist at the end. How could you not know it was Earth of the future or at least an alternate reality?

Was it really that big of a reveal? The first time I saw the movie it never even entered my mind that they weren't on Earth. Seemed so obvious. They're riding horses, growing corn fields, got trees, baby dolls, rifles. People always talk like this was some big "Sixth Sense" type plot twist at the end. How could you not know it was Earth of the future or at least an alternate reality?

It was 1968, man. Very little had been done in film about future or alternate realities, up to that time. It's not surprising at all that the average American movie-goer was blown away by this surprise ending.

You're talking like a kid who was raised in the 70s and 80s.

The Wook

Last edited:
Yesss....before Star Wars...there was.....PLANET OF THE APES!!!

Had all the action figures and cards back in the day.

Sadly, I know longer know where they are. Figures are probably buried somewhere in the garden of my childhood home. Gardens made a great backdrop for jungle scenes. lol

It was 1968, man. Very little had been done in film about future or alternate realities, up to that time. It's not surprising at all that the average American movie-goer was blown away by this surprise ending.

Your'e talking like a kid who was raised in the 70s and 80s.

The Wook

I’m on your side but.. cough-cough (The Twilight Zone 1959-1964) cough.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back