Rogue One concept Rebel binoculars

Hovito loincloth

Looking at Matt Savage's concept page for Rogue One it looks like a lot of the stuff made it into the movie in one form or another. Did these appear at all? Rerun the film a couple of times and haven't seen them but they look like a cool build.
Matt Savage concept.JPG
Original link below

https://www.mattsavconcept.com/star-wars-rogue-one/5g1tc07ewoxc5jb04448dfl07xoo4f

First thing I thought of when I saw the pic was my Dad’s cini camera, this looks like two bodies butted up at the bottoms with there hand grips removed [emoji50]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

s-l300.jpgIt is a version on the Chinon Dart camera series it seems. There is one iteration with the silver front and black rear section as shown in the concept. The details aren't mirrored on the camera's other side though and the silver knurled lens come from another version of the same camera. Still looks kinda neat though and better than the half hearted prop efforts in Last Jedi.

The lenses are from the Chinon Dart 4X

filmadora-super-8-chinon-dart-4x-antiga-md-box-22x20cm-beta-D_NQ_NP_760330-MLB25768077720_072017.jpg

The body seems to be from the Dart Super model and not the Power Zoom model. The Power Zoom model has a weird tele/wide knob on the side of the camera.

I think it's this one

il_570xN.1466961937_8wjv.jpg

So to build this you'll need 4 camera's. Two for the lenses en two to construct the main body.

Last edited:
Possibly although it could be the macro lens element reduced and placed on the actual image.

We'll, the binoculars are CG so it could be anything, really. Also the lenses don't match any of the Chinon lenses; the Dart 4x are close but not exact. And of course the film window and manufacturer markings are mirrored on the right side, which is impossible in real life unless there's a left-handed version of these cameras out there somewhere.

The concept is more of a broad guideline, IMO, rather than something attainable using nothing but off-the-shelf parts.

Did not know the binoculars are CG. I always thought they would just make these and than see weather or not they are good enough to be used in the movie.
But, nevertheless, with some tweeking and customizing it is possible to make one of these . We do the same thing with Luke's binocs. We just need some more info.

Speaking of CG images check out this (CG) image of the quadnoculars and the actual prop. The lenses are the same as on the binoculars

binoculars05.jpg

Rook.jpg

RogueOne_Jyn_Binoculars.png

Anyone know an online store where I an find knobs like this?
They look like pointer/wing knobs with skirt.

View attachment 820806
I think everything on this concept is a resized element from somewhere else. These look like two pronged clamp knobs but they aren't available in this tiny size. Might have to be a 3d printed doodad. Did you source any metal knurled lenses? They seem to be impossible to find on any Chinon darts that I've seen.

Search the bay for GAF Anscomatic ST/87. They're the same as the Chinon camera.
For the body you want the S/84 or S/85. The 85 is the correct body but is nearly impossible to find. You can also use the 84 but you need to drill an extra hole in each body. But that shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:
This knob comes close to what we need but still not correct. The skirt part needs to be painted silver or aluminium.
But it's way too big, 28mm. We need something like 12-15mm.
7177b11fc7dfad8fa2409f53ec3e21f2.jpg

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G903F met Tapatalk

Finally figured out what that light is. It's not the red red button from the graflex flash. It's the lens from the binocs but it's scaled down, a lot. I feel so stupid for not noticing before.
Perhaps someone could make a 3d model of the lens and scale it down to the correct size. That would make things a lot easier I think.
40eea7bf140b473a1083d9a7b4221b93.jpg

Last edited:
You could take a red button from TCSS (or wherever) and replace the button itself with a clear cabochon. 3D printed isn't going to be metal or have a clear lens.

Finally figured out what that light is. It's not the red red button from the graflex flash. It's the lens from the binocs but it's scaled down, a lot. I feel so stupid for not noticing before.
Perhaps someone could make a 3d model of the lens and scale it down to the correct size. That would make things a lot easier I think.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180607/40eea7bf140b473a1083d9a7b4221b93.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180607/e8d7e63fd45c05744fd8d2884ff0ea3a.jpg

I said that already

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back