ANH Luke Droid Caller Aluminum Top Cap

HA! Now that teecrooz pointed out the belt clip, I can't unsee it. I guess I was really trying to prove Spoon Theory with a bit too much enthusiasm and not enough enlargement! Which is ironic because I had really zoomed into the image in Photoshop to get the path for my coloring just right.

Don't worry Lichtbringer ! The handle is just bent back under the spoon and is forced down inside the Kobold with a spring-bend (like a money-clip that pushes out instead of holding in) in it to hold it in place. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
HA! Now that @teecrooz pointed out the belt clip, I can't unsee it. I guess I was really trying to prove Spoon Theory with a bit too much enthusiasm and not enough enlargement! Which is ironic because I had really zoomed into the image in Photoshop to get the path for my coloring just right.

Don't worry @Lichtbringer ! The handle is just bent back under the spoon and is forced down inside the Kobold with a spring-bend (like a money-clip that pushes out instead of holding in) in it to hold it in place. ;)

I'm so glad we now have someone who was there on the set of ANH to finally explain exactly how this “spoon” was bent, installed, and held into the Kobold. My friend what else can you tell us? If the handle was bent like a spring, why might it have fallen off? Or did the crew take it off to eat lunch? To be totally accurate we must ascertain the make, model, finish, and name of this spoon....:facepalm

Hey @HB1098S ! I'd be happy to feed you some more information about the spoon! ;)

It was an 'Oneida Hotel Plate Soup Spoon'. They were common throughout hotels worldwide. It was a simple steel spoon with silver plating, so though it looked pretty when new, it would show signs of distress, or patina if you will, and lacked the bounce-back of 1095 spring steel. So, though it was made to look like part of the Star Wars Universe by rubbing it briskly in the sand, it did not possess the strength to hold itself inside the Kobold more fervently.

Once the spoon was bent it was no longer able to be used for its originally intended purpose, but I believe it was used one morning for Sir Alec's tea and crumpets before becoming part of the Droid Caller Prop.

Here are some photos of a spoon of this type...

SPOON - Oneida Hotel Plate Soup - 01.jpg

SPOON - Oneida Hotel Plate Soup - 02.jpg

SPOON - Oneida Hotel Plate Soup - 03.jpg

SPOON - Oneida Hotel Plate Soup - 04.jpg

They should be easy enough to find because of the vast volume of this model that Oneida produced; you might even still find them at older hotels that are a little run down.

Good Luck on your search! And don't forget to have a bowl of Clam Chowder or some Cheerios before bending it for your prop, or even tea and crumpets if that's your preference. They are fantastic spoons after all and it'd be a shame if you didn't get to experience its wonderful mouth-feel beforehand. ;)

p.s. My personal preference is to use my spoon for this...

Star Wars - Cereal Box - Daisy Ridley as Rey - 01.jpeg:D :lol

Last edited:
I'm resurrecting this thread because I've searched all over and haven't seen anyone talk about this.
We know the silver bodied droid caller used by the jawa in the scene where he stops r2, but what about this one?
It's when the jawas first enter the sand crawler. This droid caller version has the black body and does not appear to have the stylus brush base.
It's rounded but still pretty flat. Is there any better reference for this version? Do we know if it has a d-ring or if the clamp has been removed?
Here's a screen-cap:

droidcaller1.png

Last edited:
I love mine too. Is there any chance of offering a machined aluminum test bulb cover? I know there's a decent acrylic one that's been around for a while to allow for the installation of the D-ring (without having to damage the original bulb cover) but even that one isn't as durable as an aluminum one would be. I'd be happy to sacrifice a bit of accuracy if it meant I wouldn't lose my droid caller off my belt while trooping.

I love mine too. Is there any chance of offering a machined aluminum test bulb cover? I know there's a decent acrylic one that's been around for a while to allow for the installation of the D-ring (without having to damage the original bulb cover) but even that one isn't as durable as an aluminum one would be. I'd be happy to sacrifice a bit of accuracy if it meant I wouldn't lose my droid caller off my belt while trooping.

Nathan I’ve been thinking about doing this for awhile now. Let me work on it, thanks!

Any update on this? I'd be interested for sure!
These are available in the JY

For the d-ring you can get a 3/8 to 1/4 tripod adapter
1699936257938.png

and screw it in the place of the bulb cover (thread is maybe not exact match but it screws in very securely)

then screw in it a 1/4 d-ring screw like these:

1699936449416.png

there are many types available some even come with a d-ring. Maybe there are also 3/8 sized ones that will screw directly but I didn't find when I was looking.

It's a very secure way of attaching the d-ring and I think looks pretty accurate too.

1699936209791.png

Last edited:
For the d-ring you can get a 3/8 to 1/4 tripod adapter
View attachment 1761507
and screw it in the place of the bulb cover (thread is maybe not exact match but it screws in very securely)

then screw in it a 1/4 d-ring screw like these:

View attachment 1761508
there are many types available some even come with a d-ring. Maybe there are also 3/8 sized ones that will screw directly but I didn't find when I was looking.

It's a very secure way of attaching the d-ring and I think looks pretty accurate too.

View attachment 1761506

Where did you happen to find these? Thanks!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back