My Mk. 42 build, new STL files for upper arm section

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:335607
i found this on thingiverse and ive printed it out and looks great have a look at my build page to see my progress you will just need to scale it to size and slice it up according to your bed size
I've tried printing that one and it's full of errors. I did however watch some blender vids and I converted Helagak's pep file to an stl so i could print it. It looks really good

I've tried printing that one and it's full of errors. I did however watch some blender vids and I converted Helagak's pep file to an stl so i could print it. It looks really good
cool would love to see it and could you point me into the direction of those blender vids

cool would love to see it and could you point me into the direction of those blender vids

thanks I went thru and put together a playlist on youtube on how to convert pep's to stl's. Along with this playlist and some googling if your not that familiar with Blender (like myself at the beginning) you should be able to convert them. I toke me a few tries and a few cross words to get them converted but I finally did it. I'm gonna start a new thread sometime as soon as I start building it because I'm thinking about doing an entire Mark 42 suit.

The playlist is here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcM8tSh8qpDlLT9OAU-NBK4J0NOeku8iA

Re: My go at creating an accurately articulated Iron Man glove (helmet on hold)

There we go!

Finished the last details less than an hour before before I had to go, but it's done :D
View attachment 177536View attachment 177537View attachment 177540View attachment 177541View attachment 177547View attachment 177548View attachment 177550View attachment 177545View attachment 177544View attachment 177543View attachment 177553View attachment 177555View attachment 177556

As for the movie, I liked it. Some unexpected twists as well :)

I'll add the STL-files for the fingers soon if anyone wants to print their own set

i need the hand please !!!! :(

Did you happen to post the palm of the hand as well?

I noticed the other post that has the hand file, but it seems to have a thickness of .23 mm and is unprintable.

Current build starts at pg.2

Ah, the heck with it! I might as well write suit instead of altering the title all the time

For those interested in printing their own pieces (for personal use!!)

View attachment 304732
Fingers: IMFingersbyAbb_eliten.zip

View attachment 304733
Cover plates for the glove (needs update, not good enough): Mk.42_Cover_plates.zip

Forearm armor: Mk.42_Forearm_Armor_by_ A...eliten.zip

View attachment 303985
Upper arm (with pre-made support): Mk.42_upper_arm_by_Abb_eliten.zip
Unsplit parts: Upper_arm_raw_Abb_eliten.zip

View attachment 304726
Elbow Cover: Elbow_cover_by_Abb_eliten.stl

I don't claim movie accuracy on these files. That said, I've done my best to get them as close as possible.

Did you happen to post the palm of the hand as well?

I noticed the other post that has the hand file, but it seems to have a thickness of .23 mm and is unprintable.

Man I wish I had read that a week ago. I just tried 3 different attempts to print the hand and finally concluded it wasn't printable myself.

Love this thread. Im looking for a complete elbow to hand iron man glove. 3d printing is not cheap.

EDIT: The upper arm file will not load into Shapeways

Last edited:
@Deckard1981
Ok, I didn't know that. The big files is caused by the fixes I had to do with Meshmixer, because I had to combine the parts and make them solid. Meshmixer added "some" more surfaces (it took about half an hour of computing) to make the solid piece fit the shape of the original file. I think I'll leave them in my Dropbox then. Has anyone started to print the helmet, really interested in the results. I'm currently not able to finish my helmet, because I want to finnish the glove for the release of Avengers Age of Ultron ( which I will probally see at the end of April ^^)

Thanks for leaving the files up. I did an MK3 helmet and the walls of the helmet were pretty thin, so I had warpage everywhere. The final fit-up was a nightmare. The thicker sections of your files should make this cake. I have a few arm parts that I'm finishing up, then I'll be trying out your files.

I've been working off of the arm files provided and they've been turning out spectacularly. I'll get some progress pics as I go along. Thanks to everyone for posting this amazing stuff!

I made the hand and used a frisbee illuminating LED. They came in 2 packs for about $3, and has a little button battery and clicker button to change from off/fast strobe/strobe/solid on.
Planted it in the palm and added a small piece of HD foam over top so I can press the palm to cycle the light. Printed a disc in 'natural' PLA for the cover plate. It turned out pretty well and I didnt have to wire anything in. Package said 12+ hours of run time with the batteries.

Last edited:

I just wasted 13 hours of printing to find all these errors. Good grief, even after hit them with meshmixer and trying to fix them up. For some reason any edits I did with meshmixer didn't hold up in the actual printing. It threw in solid bodies in places that had no business. 1/4 spool of filament into the trash :(
Looks like I'm going to have to buy pep and start converting stuff on my own. Not to derail this thread, first runs of the arm files turned out great!

IMG_2820.JPGIMG_2821.JPGIMG_2822.JPGIMG_2827.JPG
Now onto the post-printing work. Couldn't resist tossing a first coat on some of the parts. I find it helps to show the flaws as well.

where did you get the printing files for the elbow screw :)?

I just wasted 13 hours of printing to find all these errors. Good grief, even after hit them with meshmixer and trying to fix them up. For some reason any edits I did with meshmixer didn't hold up in the actual printing. It threw in solid bodies in places that had no business. 1/4 spool of filament into the trash :(
Looks like I'm going to have to buy pep and start converting stuff on my own. Not to derail this thread, first runs of the arm files turned out great!

View attachment 495385View attachment 495386View attachment 495387View attachment 495388
Now onto the post-printing work. Couldn't resist tossing a first coat on some of the parts. I find it helps to show the flaws as well.

View attachment 495385View attachment 495386View attachment 495387View attachment 495388

The arm looks great! what do you mean by errors?

Edit: Just dawned on me I didn't quote the comment about the helmet file. That's what I was referencing for the errors!
IMG_2834.JPGIMG_2835.JPGIMG_2837.JPGIMG_2838.JPG
I went back in and carved out a section on the bottom piece, but for some reason when the part printed it filled itself back in. At first I thought it was just a support build error, but it's a solid part. The neck sections did the same thing on the inner contour, I've rebuilt the files a few times and each print preview has it building the same geometry, with or with supports. The faceplate upper and lower section had really thin features at the bottom corner tabs and where it would connect the halves. Same thing, even with bulking them up the printer won't include the modifications. It's honestly baffling!

Last edited:
Hi ubcs86
Which helmet mark are you trying to print?from the jaw piece it looks like the mk42 but from the forhead piece it looks like the mk3-7?
If you are looking for a good mk3-7 helmet print i would suggest mipresidente's helmet on thingiverse...it has really great quality with no errors
If it is a mk42 would you mind sharing the link to the file here or in pm so that i can have a look at it?

Last edited by a moderator:
My original helmet that printed without a problem was the mk7 via mipresidente's files on thingiverse.
This version is the 42. All pics are of the 42 files, the first is the jaw, second is one side of the neck, and the next two are the faceplate (top half is red, bottom half is clear).
I'll have to dig up the files I used and PM you the details, I have a few different sources that I've found.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back