WWII X-wing pilot for star wars CVII Finished.

ChaseKiefer

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey everybdy,

Haven't posted in forever (due to joining the military), but I'm back. I've always loved the aesthetic of WWII pilots with the nose art painted on their jackets. So I'm adjusting that look to fit Luke's X-wing pilot uniform. So I'll have a orange dress hat, and dress pants (going to bleach and re-dye found items). White dress shirt. Find a Leather bomber jacket with fur collar, and paint rogue squadron logo's/ pinup girl. Also, get rebel pilot wings pin (gracious found by MaraJadesFather) and nametape for front of jacket. I also found some vintage military headphones to wear around my neck.

Here's a couple concepts for a squadron patch, and pinup art for the back of the jacket.
IMG_1174.JPG

A concept sketch of what I want the finished costume to look like. Plus kill list of all the imperial vehicles that Luke shoots down (the death star, AT-AT, and 3 TIE)
IMG_1177.JPG

a picture with the jacket I found on ebay, and first painting of Luke's kill list. Also have my shades and dress cover to get an idea of what i'll look like.
IMG_1180.JPG

A layout of what I want the back of the jacket to look like.
IMG_1183.JPG

Thanks for reading. Any thoughts? I'm thinking about entering this into the costume contest under the jedi & rebel category.

Last edited:
Re: WWII X-wing pilot for star wars celebration.

Cool idea.

Traditionally the mission markers / kills would be on the back.
Icons are normally used with no title (ie. kill list)
Keeping in galaxy any writing would be in Aurebesh (galactic standard)

Last edited:

Here's some examples of what I mean with the mission markers.
link
If you Google ww2 bombers jackets a few show up with the markers on the front right side.

In WW2 many of the pin ups where copies of inspired by Varga Girls in Esquire Magazine painted by Alberto Vargas.
I put a Varga girl on the back of my Aliens Colonial Marine armor and used the Dark Horse Comics logo as mission / kill marks on my helmet.

division 6- Putting the markers on the sleeve was my choice (I've stared at just about every jacket pic that google can provide). I wanted there to be something to look at from all angles. Also, I felt if I had put them on the bottom of the back they wouldn't make any sense since there are so few ships that Luke shoots down. I might switch the title to Aurebesh, but the nametape I ordered is in english. Either way that's something I can change easily.

dajoquim-Thanks, It's nice to be back & working on a project.

Looking good. I like it. I've had thoughts about something like this but different concept/vision.

i dp do have a question? If this Luke's jacket as a pilot? Why Rogue Squadron? There is no cannon reference to Rogue Squadron.

in non-canon/eu terms, Rogue Squadron did not exist till years later as part of the New Republic. I don't believe Luke was ever associated with it.

Last edited:

You forgot Jabba's sail barge, Wompa and Vader's arms.:p
Forgot to add the Rancor as well.

Last edited:

Looking good. I like it. I've had thoughts about something like this but different concept/vision.

i dp do have a question? If this Luke's jacket as a pilot? Why Rogue Squadron? There is no cannon reference to Rogue Squadron.

in non-canon/eu terms, Rogue Squadron did not exist till years later as part of the New Republic. I don't believe Luke was ever associated with it.

Isn't Luke called Rogue Leader during the snowspeeder vs. AT-AT battle on Hoth? In one of the canon films, the Empire Strikes Back?

Alex

Very true. I had to associate him with some kind of unit or squadron, as most WWII pilot jackets had their individual fighter squadron's mascot or symbol. and rogue squadron was the obvious choice. With this costume I'm taking details from star wars, and trying to apply them to fit the aesthetic of WWII pilots. So there are some gaps that I'm trying to fill. Rogue squadron being one of them.

Actually, Rogue Squadron did exist during the Galactic Civil War. What you're thinking of is Wedge's relaunch of the squadron detailed in the Fantastic X-wing novels by Michael A. Stackpole. For example, Rogue Squadron played a part in the Shadows of the Empire multimedia event. Furthermore, there was Rogue Group present at the battle of Hoth. For the Rogues, Luke would actually have been Rogue Leader.

Also, I don't care what anyone says, the Real EU is more canon than Rebels, A New Dawn, Tarkin, and even The Force Awakens.

Source: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rogue_Squadron

Very true. I had to associate him with some kind of unit or squadron, as most WWII pilot jackets had their individual fighter squadron's mascot or symbol. and rogue squadron was the obvious choice. With this costume I'm taking details from star wars, and trying to apply them to fit the aesthetic of WWII pilots. So there are some gaps that I'm trying to fill. Rogue squadron being one of them.

I get where you're coming from, but I wouldn't mix Rogue and Red Squadrons if I were you; just pick one era of Luke and go with it. So if you want Rogue Squadron, go with Rogue Leader, if not, go with Red Squadron and Red 5.

Why not Red Squadron?

BTW: I am a big fan of blood chits on the back of WWII jackets. Ever thought of doing a rebel version with aurebesh font?

I should also mention I really like the ideas for the patches and that you are doing paint application to the leather. I made up some patch designs in the past; one for a commemorative patch for the Battle of Yavin and another one that was an X-Wing version of the F-14 aircraft patch.

Last edited:

Actually, Rogue Squadron did exist during the Galactic Civil War. What you're thinking of is Wedge's relaunch of the squadron detailed in the Fantastic X-wing novels by Michael A. Stackpole. For example, Rogue Squadron played a part in the Shadows of the Empire multimedia event. Furthermore, there was Rogue Group present at the battle of Hoth. For the Rogues, Luke would actually have been Rogue Leader.

Also, I don't care what anyone says, the Real EU is more canon than Rebels, A New Dawn, Tarkin, and even The Force Awakens.

Source: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rogue_Squadron

I get where you're coming from, but I wouldn't mix Rogue and Red Squadrons if I were you; just pick one era of Luke and go with it. So if you want Rogue Squadron, go with Rogue Leader, if not, go with Red Squadron and Red 5.

A group is not a squadron. It would seem it was the designation for their air patrol on Hoth and not a squadron. For all we know, they select a new name for ever base they establish.

Even though I am a huge Mara Jade fan, the old EU sucks bantha butt. I am glad it's gone.

BTW: I named my dog Rogue in reference to Rogue Group. We were watching ESB the day after we got our new puppy.

I think I'm going to keep Red 5 since I've already painted it on the jacket. And I'm doing this for fun, I do have plans on doing more variations of these jackets (millenium falcon, imperial tie fighter pilot, all aurebesh version) So I can hone the accuracy as I go along.

Are you going to put any devices on the hat and/or shirt collar. The gold rebel symbols are readily available.

How about a blaster in a shoulder holster?

Looks great so far but being "star-warsy", shouldn't the pin up girl be a twi'lek?

But at least it's not Leia in the gold bikini:lol

Can't wait to see the finished product!

Are you going to put any devices on the hat and/or shirt collar. The gold rebel symbols are readily available.

How about a blaster in a shoulder holster?

Yes, I found a vintage pin it's a round brass pin with the rebel insignia in the center and "x-wing fighter pilot" on the border. Probably won't go with anything on the shirt collar as the jacket will be covering. I did want to do a snub nose version of the DL-44, but since one of my main goals with this costume is having it fit into a carry on bag, I figured it would be safer to not have a gun-like object in my bag. Maybe down the road.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks great so far but being "star-warsy", shouldn't the pin up girl be a twi'lek?

But at least it's not Leia in the gold bikini:lol

Can't wait to see the finished product!

Having the pinup be a twi'lek hadn't occurred to me. I might change it as painting hair is a little more difficult than 2 lekku.

Having the pinup be a twi'lek hadn't occurred to me. I might change it as painting hair is a little more difficult than 2 lekku.

The twi'lek as pin up/ nose art is pretty cliché these days. I'm sure you can do a great job but just so you know, you're not going to be breaking new ground. It's been done by fans and even in canon on the Clone Wars. Heck, you can even find it on one of the lego sets. I actually figured you made a conscious effort to stay away from it. If you want it to have another galaxy feel, you can simply just change skin and hair color.

FYI: For the sake of sharing, here is my group's pin up girl. I put a logo over the butt to make it a little more workplace acceptable since i had utilized it for the group's Facebook page.

pinup banner.png

However I myself have not been able to resist the lure of the twi'lek. Here is a Squadron Logo for Angel Squadron from our groups' fan fic which i did about 15 years ago.

archangellogo.jpg

This was based off of one of the Flying Tiger Squadron (3rd AVG) logos.

AVG-3PS-0A.jpg

Last edited:

I did want to do a snub nose version of the DL-44, but since one of my main goals with this costume is having it fit into a carry on bag, I figured it would be safer to not have a gun-like object in my bag. Maybe down the road.

I did a custom Corellian influenced X-Wing pilot over 10 years ago. I utilized a standard US .45 holster, soaked it in water and stretched the hell out of it to wet form to my custom blaster. I was influenced by one of my favorite shows, Blacksheep Squadron. Made since that if a pilot needed a blaster if he bailed out, it would be better in shoulder holster than wearing a hip rig while strapped into your ship.

View attachment 429378

I have 22 years and growing in Naval Aviation. I am often influenced in current and historical aspects of military aviation when thinking about Star Wars related pilot costumes. I assume you are the same way. That is the main reason I created the rebel and imperial flight wings.

The twi'lek as pin up/ nose art is pretty cliché these days. I'm sure you can do a great job but just so you know, you're not going to be breaking new ground. It's been done by fans and even in canon on the Clone Wars. Heck, you can even find it on one of the lego sets. I actually figured you made a conscious effort to stay away from it. If you want it to have another galaxy feel, you can simply just change skin and hair color.

FYI: For the sake of sharing, here is my group's pin up girl. I put a logo over the butt to make it a little more workplace acceptable since i had utilized it for the group's Facebook page.

View attachment 429367

Agreed. It is true that the twilek pinup is overdone. I was using vintage pinup art as inspiration, and simply adding x-wing pilot details (tall black boots, orange pants, white corset with chestbox). I didn't do a lot of star wars pinup searching as I didn't want to copy anything.

OT but I got the rebel wings pin today. It's perfect, and will help complete the overall look. I'll post pictures over the weekend of some of my progress on the jacket.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back