My Mk. 42 build, new STL files for upper arm section

Re: My Mk. 42 build (complete forearm at pg.6)

Awesome!!! How much material did you spend on one arm? Because I have a 3d printer also and I thought about print some parts instead of making of pepakura files. How much material did it get? 500gr an entire arm?

Abb its been a while since we spoke last but keep up the great work! this is fantastic! looking forward to your models...

also if you are looking to get the left side printed let me know I can print it for you if you're going to mold it... let me know!

Hi again Abb!
I'm on the last piece that I need to print now, the main 'forearm' section. However, my printer is JUST too small to print the piece upwards (otherwise it would take 60 hours :cry). Do you by any chance have the forearm piece cut into separate pieces as an STL file?
Thanks again,
John
I did have the pieces cut up for printing, but I can't remember where I put them :p I'll have antoher look
Have you tried slicing the pieces you split? The surface could just be a graphical error..

Your paint scheme is absolutely gorgeous ! Did you use any special method for the Volvo gold and Mica red ? I've never had such a glossy and nice finish with rattle cans from my autoshop ! Also, after seeing the slideshow MK42 bust revealed today (Iron Man Mark 42 | Sideshow Collectibles), would you say the titanium gold alclad is a gold as the shiny parts on the bust ? Or more silverish ? The bust gold seems a bit too gold on the pics compared to the pics in the gallery here, your forearm looks much more closer to the gallery pics and the movie, but it's hard to say given lightning conditions seem to impact the color a lot.
Thanks!

I sand and polish the clear coat using regular car polish. I too was surprised by the result considering how cheap the paints are. If you are using rattle cans I would recommend waiting around a week before polishing to ensure the coat is fully cured.

The chromed/brushed metals where the hardest paint to decide imo. And yes, the Sideshow bust seems a lot more golden than the full-sized armor, or the golden titanium Aclad.
Funny thing is every version of the suit differs in colors. Hot Toys for example has the same golden metallic as the previous suits instead of the more champagne toned one.
I decided to go for a hybrid design between the "gallery suit" and the concept models: http://s.cghub.com/files/Image/526001-527000/526231/836_max.jpg
I guess there is no definitive version, just personal preference. I do like the titanium gold though. It's like steel with just a hint of gold in it and it gives a nice contrast to the other colors.

Sorry, I've got another question! :$
How did you power the repulsor lights, and where did you store the electronics for it? I've looked at AA batteries, or a few lithium ion button cells to run the LEDs from, but I'm not sure how well it'll work...
Thanks (yet again)!
For now all of the glove electronics and batteries are housed inside the glove with a tiny switch inside the tip of the thumb, works rather well. The batteries used are three 3V lithium buttons around 2cm in diameter.

Abb its been a while since we spoke last but keep up the great work! this is fantastic! looking forward to your models...

also if you are looking to get the left side printed let me know I can print it for you if you're going to mold it... let me know!
It sure was. How are things coming along?
I have started working on the upper arm, and may start on the left arm soon.

Upper arm files added in first post. This time all pieces are split and have support structures included which means no extra support needed.
Enjoy (privately)!

It sure was. How are things coming along?
I have started working on the upper arm, and may start on the left arm soon.

things are going well... we still haven't been able to improve your finger design, but I have gotten some help from Ryan Brooks on the mechatronics! and the helmet so that is a plus! the fingers you made are by far and away the best out there. I need to go through your tutorial on how to connect the elastic. I think I may add some material to the inside of the joint and then pop rivet the pieces together and see if that works. but dealing with PLA is not as easy as ABS! lesson learned I guess.

also if you take what you generate a plane on the inside of the right arm and mirror the whole thing about that plane to he left you'll have the exact copy of the right arm for the left. which would save you so much time... let me know if you need help with printing the parts to make the molds.

Upper arm files added in first post. This time all pieces are split and have support structures included which means no extra support needed.
Enjoy (privately)!

Hey Abb, just a quick question is the innerpart4 and innerpart1 supposed to be the same thing? im going through the files now and I noticed that those two are the same. is that supposed to be that way?

Ah perfect! thanks Abb! I noticed you have small alignment holes, do you use tooth picks in those or is there something in particular that you use when mating those up?
Yep, toothpicks work fine. You may have to clear the holes with a drill bit or something to make it easier.

Re: My Mk. 42 build

Great to see you back in action! It is awful nice of you to serve us the bicep already in cut portions :) would it be possible to get the model in its raw form though? I would like to cut it according to my build volume... When my printer finally arrives :D

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the tips ! Hope I can achieve results as good as yours ! Although Alclad is not very cooperative with me...

Great to see you back in action! It is awful nice of you to serve us the bicep already in cut portions :) would it be possible to get the model in its raw form though? I would like to cut it according to my build volume... When my printer finally arrives :D

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk 2
I cut the model the way I did to minimize the need of support, even if most (and my own) printers can handle larger pieces.
But I could export the raw ones later this weekend if you still want them.

Thanks for the tips ! Hope I can achieve results as good as yours ! Although Alclad is not very cooperative with me...
I never had any luck with their black gloss base. I always have to re-polish it when dry. I've never had any issues with the metals themselves though. they seem to work best at very low pressure.

This is awesome stuff!!!!

Thank you so much for sharing this hard work!!!!(y)D
Happy you enjoy it :)

I cut the model the way I did to minimize the need of support, even if most (and my own) printers can handle larger pieces.
But I could export the raw ones later this weekend if you still want them.

I never had any luck with their black gloss base. I always have to re-polish it when dry. I've never had any issues with the metals themselves though. they seem to work best at very low pressure.

Happy you enjoy it :)

Thank you, that would be great!

Your work is awesome!, You do the shoulder coming? and you will create the full armor?

This weekend start printing your files, I will first hand, because fingers have some facts.

I'm excited to the quality I've seen them, you've given some treatment to parts after printing? just sanding or anything else?

Really many thanks for all your hard work and for sharing it free for all, if you need help to print something and my printer has my help, I'll be happy to help.

Your work is awesome!, You do the shoulder coming? and you will create the full armor?

This weekend start printing your files, I will first hand, because fingers have some facts.

I'm excited to the quality I've seen them, you've given some treatment to parts after printing? just sanding or anything else?

Really many thanks for all your hard work and for sharing it free for all, if you need help to print something and my printer has my help, I'll be happy to help.

Thank you!

I plan on doing the shoulders when get the time, and probably the chest for scaling reference.

Usually, the finishing steps after printing looks like:

• Sanding
  • Filler
  • Sanding
  • Spray filler
  • Sanding
  • Second coat of Spray filler
  • Sanding
  • Spot putty
  • Sanding
  • Primer
  • Filling + sanding of micro pores if necessary
  • Color
  • Clear coat
  • Polish

Quite a few steps but I feel like it's worth it for a good finish.

Talking about finish, here are most of the pieces painted.
IMG_20140401_200549.jpg
Just the inner structure left.

Thank you!

I plan on doing the shoulders when get the time, and probably the chest for scaling reference.

Usually, the finishing steps after printing looks like:

• Sanding
  • Filler
  • Sanding
  • Spray filler
  • Sanding
  • Second coat of Spray filler
  • Sanding
  • Spot putty
  • Sanding
  • Primer
  • Filling + sanding of micro pores if necessary
  • Color
  • Clear coat
  • Polish

Quite a few steps but I feel like it's worth it for a good finish.

:wacko wow very hard work for all parts, but the result is awesome

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back