Snowtrooper Ab/ Han's Hoth communicator DIsk **Mint Thermostat Found 04/06/21**

Re: Snowtrooper Ab/ Han's Hoth communicator DIsk research***ON HAND!!!***

Don't know if this is of any value, but if some say that it was initially part of a packaging, but don't know which product, maybe this might lead to a track:
The arrangement of the three discs reminds me of the Setup of Philips Shavers:

wAWWjdD.jpgh0SHJyz.jpg

Maybe it was part of the packaging of 80s models of those.
But I'm surely not far into the matter as the rest, so no idea if this leads anywhere.

Edit: Aaaargh! Just now read the very first post, where Philips razors were already mentioned at the end of the list. Sorry for bothering you!

I hope you saved the original South African junk store image as part of your documentation. I'd really like to see the picture(s) that ended your quest.

I hope you saved the original South African junk store image as part of your documentation. I'd really like to see the picture(s) that ended your quest.

I can share those later on. I've been so busy with finishing the girlfriend's birthday gift this week that I've not really had much time to post more about this. I *did* do a quick search again the ther night for a few minutes but I haven't really learned a whole lot more. I do believe that this is of Italian origin per the backside markings though.

Apparently RS Prop Masters has one now.

I'm gonna be ordering some silicone this week. Gonna make molds. Once they're out in the public domain, I can't prevent recasting...

I'm not confident that I can find more original pieces at this time.

I'm gonna be ordering some silicone this week. Gonna make molds. Once they're out in the public domain, I can't prevent recasting...

I'm not confident that I can find more original pieces at this time.
It's good of you to share with the community. It's amazing that you were able to track them down after all this time.

I bet a metal forming company could make exact copies out of sheet metal. You could do a run. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

It's good of you to share with the community. It's amazing that you were able to track them down after all this time.

I bet a metal forming company could make exact copies out of sheet metal. You could do a run. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yea as much as I would like to, I don't really have the time or money to really invest into such a project at the moment. I know RS plans to eventually produce stamped metal versions from them, but can't say when that will be. In the meantime, I can easily produce cold cast resin ones and would be pretty cheap.

Congratulations. So exciting when you make a discovery and then find it.

Many of have been curious about this piece for years.

I looked through the thread and my apologies if I missed the description. So what exactly is It?

Yea as much as I would like to, I don't really have the time or money to really invest into such a project at the moment.

Maybe ask Chris/Fieldmarshall if he might be interested o team up with you on this?

Congratulations. So exciting when you make a discovery and then find it.

Many of have been curious about this piece for years.

I looked through the thread and my apologies if I missed the description. So what exactly is It?
Exactly this. What is it?

It's an appliance thermostat, also called a therm-o-disc. The problem is this is a weird one with 3 contacts and it's one of those things that's impossible to search for online as the keywords bring up way too many bad hits.

It's an appliance thermostat, also called a therm-o-disc. The problem is this is a weird one with 3 contacts and it's one of those things that's impossible to search for online as the keywords bring up way too many bad hits.

Yeah, pretty much. Finding these was a one in a million shot. BTW, I'm from Norristown too.

I'll be posting more about it this week. Last week and this weekend was incredibly busy for me. I've also not had proper computer access during the week which limits me to my phone

Alright well, here's what I know.

I still don't know what appliance/machine it's used for. It's likely for something large, like a boiler or large dryer, and some signs pointing towards even an oven. All I do know is that it's some type of thermostat piece. There's a multitude of these things out there, but these are obviously unique by it's triple-dot design AND it's size. This may also be referred to as a "klixon." While Klixon IS a brand, it's also seemingly used as a generic term- like the use of 'band-aide," so my usual search terms included at least the combination of "thermostat" and "klixon"

The ones I found in South Africa was through a listing on "BidorBuy," which is best described as SA's version of Ebay, with one of the 2 nearly identical listings looking like this.

bidorbuy listing.jpg

So there were 2 separate listings, with at least 2 of the desired pieces in each lot, totaling 4. These are clearly older or have been through a lot of use. While the metal portion is easy to clean, the rear plastic portions are quite dirty. I am pretty certain that the white portion on the rear is actually a ceramic material. RS Cracked one open and this possible ceramic portion was formed into the inside of the metal disc portion.

20180611_212653-1.jpg

Here, you can read the markings. It's a 2a 250V part. The portion that is not clear is the "Vebe-SpA-ITALIA." Of course, the "ITALIA" leads me to believe this particular piece was of Italian origin. "Vebe" appears to be an actual company producing some type of testing equipment. "SpA" doesn't give me any results other than resort listings. Of course, there's the patent number- 123946, which has not yielded any significant results when searching patent databases

20180611_212708-1.jpg

Also something to note, the sequence of stamped letters (from the inside) are different. They are each:

EV1500 NA 40 60 2/73
EV1500 NA 34 60 9/74

While it's just my speculation, I feel the final series of numbers are the actual manufacture date, so the first one being made in February 1973 and the 2nd being September 1974, and if so, would put these at 45 years old!

20180611_212821-1.jpg

20180611_212840-1 (1).jpg

I do want to add this, as I did another search, and came across THIS Ebay sale

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Eaton-9160...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

No, I didn't buy it, but perhaps someone here did ;) It looks that way as the seller had re-listed this very thing multiple times...and was just sold on June 6th. But what's different here is that this seems to be made much more recently. The company "Eaton" appears to prominently produce electric components in the 80s. I haven't done a deep dive yet, but this at least confirms there's been at least 2 manufacturers of this piece at 2 different points in time, which means it may still be possible to locate more. That one in the ebay listing is clearly unused and in perfect shape. The other thing to note here is that according to the listing, this had a patent number of "123948" where the ones we have are "123946," which again, indicates to me that the ebay one is much newer.

So yea, there it is. Goodluck finding them if you can. I will be molding mine regardless to offer up to the community, and I'll post when I do

-TC

Last edited:
Re: Snowtrooper Ab/ Han's Hoth communicator DIsk **Discovered Info on Page 5, post 11

Thank you for sharing this info! I was a wee afraid that it would stay "secret" like he Tie Pilot helmet pill/needle box. I understand the need to get ones grubbies on the item first.

In doing some digging I keep seeing these thermostats. Anyone else seeing the Biker Scout blaster greeblie? This one isn't an exact match, but it seems like a good possibility.

Attachments

• IMG_4008.JPG
    IMG_4008.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 101
Re: Snowtrooper Ab/ Han's Hoth communicator DIsk **Discovered Info on Page 5, post 11

Thank you for sharing this info! I was a wee afraid that it would stay "secret" like he Tie Pilot helmet pill/needle box. I understand the need to get ones grubbies on the item first.

In doing some digging I keep seeing these thermostats. Anyone else seeing the Biker Scout blaster greeblie? This one isn't an exact match, but it seems like a good possibility.

I think the Scout blaster greeblie is a TO-3 style power transistor.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

I bet the poor seller on Ebay doesn't know whats hit him. He has probably has woken up this morning to hundreds messages asking him 'what where when how' questions and doesn't realise that what went last week for £9.99 would go for ten times that amount this week!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back