Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

bought a couple pairs of the bandages goldhawk mentioned for resistance rey. here they are compared to the boots bandages. boots on the bottom (edit: on the right).
IMG_2327.JPG

@ Galacticat, I made mine like an 'M' and stiched through the middle of it. I believe that I made the ribs a 1/2 inch apart. To make the sleeve the right size, I used my template for the non-ribbed sleeve as a base and added in the amount of fabric in inches that the ribs would take up; i.e. non-ribbed sleeve measures 5" when folded in half and measured down the 'spine' and each of the double ribs takes an inch of fabric. 5 ribs takes five inches, so add five inches to the original sleeve, resize the base pattern to the new dimensions, and you have the base pattern for the ribbed sleeve. (Those are not the actual measurements, just an example.)

I strongly suggest making the sleeve with the actual ribs in the knit fabric running in the direction the ribs you will make will go, if that makes sense.

To make the ribs I measured 3/4" from where the top of the sleeve would be and marked a line across the entire width of the sleeve at that point with tailor's chalk. I then folded the fabric at that line and ironed it with a steamy iron. I then measured 1/4" from the fold and repeated the process twice and pressed the whole thing flat. I then ran a straight stich down the center of the pleats. I then marked out the distance from the first rib to where I wanted to start the second and did the whole process again until I had as many ribs as I needed. (I believe there are 5)
I then folded the sleeve in half the way it would lie when attached to the shirt and laid my pattern for the non-ribbed sleeve over it. (I can post a pic of my sleeve patterns if that would help.) I centered the pattern so that I wouldn't accidentally cut the pattern wrong, and cut my ribbed sleeve out of the extra-large ribbed sleeve I made and sewed it on.

Personally, I found it a lot easier than ribbing a big square, because the sleeve was already in the final shape, only a little bigger.

Last edited:
I need to thank everyone who has posted in this thread - a lot of great info that has provided me with incredible guidance!

I was working on a costume for a 10 year old, and not a full cosplay deal, but still wanted to keep it realistic. My daughter made the call to make the draping fabric more brown, and I made a call to make the large fin sections of the staff larger. Overall it worked out great! People actually yelled out how much they liked her costume throughout Halloween night and she's thinking about wearing to C2E2, although she's also thinking about an Arwen or Jaylah costume for that.

rey2.jpg

Attachments

• rey.jpg
    rey.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Headwrap
Material: Hand-woven natural fabric 55”
http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/cotton/handwoven-natural-fabric-55-inch.html
Amount: 6 yards
Goggle base: Vaccum Formed TK faceplate
Lenses: Green acrylic stormtrooper lenses
Add. Materials: Grey wool Army blanket, white pigskin leather, Alice clips

I'm in the process of getting fabrics for a Rey costume, and I was looking at this forum on what everyone was suggesting for fabrics...There are a lot of fabric's listed that are no longer available for the links listed, does anyone have any links for sites that have the fabrics in stock.

Also the head wrap listing stats "6 yards", is that correct?...18 ft of fabric that is 55" wide seems like a huge amount of fabric just for the head wrap? Could you please explain or advise?

Thank you in advance...

Is the dharma headwrap fabric no longer avail?

i think that 6 yard figure came from Kristen and it's alot, I could prob make 3 from that much, but i think she may have cut hers out different than I did and body sizes vary.

we used the 55 as the length and i folded it in half to create the front and back, so one side has no seam and the selvage becomes the face opening. So i think you only need approx your shoulder width x2 plus a couple feet for sleeves and 20% more for shrinkage.

The Dharma fabric is still available; I just bought it from them a couple of weeks ago. Granted, I had to wait till they got some more in stock, but I was willing to do that, and I'm really glad I did!
I actually got 7 yards, in case of sewing mistakes, and it does shrink a lot, especially depending on how hot a wash you put it in.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure if the color is right, but I saw these goggles at American Science and Surplus when I was buying a pouch. They are definitely the right shape.

The lenses look too round too me, but it's hard to tell from that picture.
Maybe Kristen will say for sure? She should know if anyone does!

- - - Updated - - -

Headwrap
Material: Hand-woven natural fabric 55”
http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/cotton/handwoven-natural-fabric-55-inch.html
Amount: 6 yards
Goggle base: Vaccum Formed TK faceplate
Lenses: Green acrylic stormtrooper lenses
Add. Materials: Grey wool Army blanket, white pigskin leather, Alice clips

I'm in the process of getting fabrics for a Rey costume, and I was looking at this forum on what everyone was suggesting for fabrics...There are a lot of fabric's listed that are no longer available for the links listed, does anyone have any links for sites that have the fabrics in stock.

Also the head wrap listing stats "6 yards", is that correct?...18 ft of fabric that is 55" wide seems like a huge amount of fabric just for the head wrap? Could you please explain or advise?

Thank you in advance...

I just checked your link for the headwrap fabric, and it is still in stock. Not sure where you're getting discontinued from....

Thank you in advance...

Yes, that figure did come from me, and yes there was some left over but not very much....perhaps a yard at most.

The primary reason for the excessive yardage is thta this fabric shrinks ALOT when washed...and it must be washed and dried before you make the headwrap. That 55" width doesn't stay anywhere near that width after washing and drying, believe me.

What I did was wash and dry it, then lay it out on the floor and folded it in half along it's length. After washing, that six yard length was reduced to about 3-1/2 to four yards. So I had one 3-1/2 to 4 yard length, folded in half lengthwise...so the width was about 22 to 26 inches and the length was about 3-1/2 to 4 yards.

I had made a back and front template for my headwrap tunic, so i placed one of those each on the fold, so that there would be a side seam on each side of the finished garment. I used the leftover fabric from the side opposite the fold to make the (VERY long) sleeves, and ended up with less than a yard of excess.

also, as I had mentioned a bit ago, I did find an alternative to the Dharma Hand Woven Natural fabric. I found it at Joann...it's part of the YaYa Han collection:

14462865_10210191318355749_2771139467085344161_n.jpg14479619_10210191318155744_3365264129209258288_n.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, that figure did come from me, and yes there was some left over but not very much....perhaps a yard at most.

The primary reason for the excessive yardage is thta this fabric shrinks ALOT when washed...and it must be washed and dried before you make the headwrap. That 55" width doesn't stay anywhere near that width after washing and drying, believe me.

What I did was wash and dry it, then lay it out on the floor and folded it in half along it's length. After washing, that six yard length was reduced to about 3-1/2 to four yards. So I had one 3-1/2 to 4 yard length, folded in half lengthwise...so the width was about 22 to 26 inches and the length was about 3-1/2 to 4 yards.

I had made a back and front template for my headwrap tunic, so i placed one of those each on the fold, so that there would be a side seam on each side of the finished garment. I used the leftover fabric from the side opposite the fold to make the (VERY long) sleeves, and ended up with less than a yard of excess.

also, as I had mentioned a bit ago, I did find an alternative to the Dharma Hand Woven Natural fabric. I found it at Joann...it's part of the YaYa Han collection:

View attachment 680261View attachment 680262

I used the YaYa Han fabric from Joanns. Worked like a charm and didn't shrink much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also purchased the JoAnn gauze for the headwrap. I'm about to sew it together, so we'll see how it does!

I'm determined to get lots and lots of work done on Rey this weekend - as close to finished as possible. I finally got the ribbed sleeve made and added (thanks for all the help!), so the shirt is basically done, aside from the hem if that's needed - RL says to hem it, but I thought it was just raw? I've yet to see a photo that shows stitching on it. This wouldn't be the first time I've found a mistake in the CRL...

The new wrap fabric is dyed, so now I'm working on sewing the wrap. Yay progress!

XRvILSVl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I also purchased the JoAnn gauze for the headwrap. I'm about to sew it together, so we'll see how it does!

I'm determined to get lots and lots of work done on Rey this weekend - as close to finished as possible. I finally got the ribbed sleeve made and added (thanks for all the help!), so the shirt is basically done, aside from the hem if that's needed - RL says to hem it, but I thought it was just raw? I've yet to see a photo that shows stitching on it. This wouldn't be the first time I've found a mistake in the CRL...

The new wrap fabric is dyed, so now I'm working on sewing the wrap. Yay progress!

http://i.imgur.com/XRvILSVl.jpg

Everything is looking perfect! :D

- - - Updated - - -

This is where I bought my Green Stormtrooper lenses from, for Rey's goggles...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-S...693941?hash=item1c6ac9cb35:g:e2EAAOSwaNBUgIft

Here are a few photos of the ones I received. Thermo Formed Bubble Lens Set
View attachment 680422View attachment 680423View attachment 680424View attachment 680425

VaderPainter is THE best place to buy them! I've used them in building all 50 pairs of my goggles.

http://i.imgur.com/XRvILSVl.jpg

Your sleeve looks great! Can't wait to see this finished!
I haven't seen any hem either . All my references pics show raw edge as far as I can tell

Thank you all, for all your feed back thus far...When I mentioned earlier about some of the fabric's listed being out of stock, I wasn't referring to head wrap I was actually referring to two other fabrics. I apologize for not listing them earlier. If any one would have any other options or suggestions I would appreciate it. I currently live in a small city, so it's a 45 min to 1.25 hour drive to the city where a Joann fabrics is located. Thanks so much...

Here are the two fabrics that are currently listed on the main page, that are now out of stock by the linked sites listed:

Undershirt
Colour: Off-white
Material: Hemp-jersey cotton
http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/...av=fabric.html
Amount: 3-5 yards

Wrap Dress
Colour: Taupe
Material: Viscose (officially). Best match found thus far is a Crinkle Viscose
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRINKLE-VISC.../141904622207?
Amount: 3-4 meters

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all, for all your feed back thus far...When I mentioned earlier about some of the fabric's listed being out of stock, I wasn't referring to head wrap I was actually referring to two other fabrics.

I believe Dharma quit selling the natural colored hemp jersey. I got the white and dyed it with Taupe RIT. I'm not sure if others did the same, but it's quite thin so I doubled it up. http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/55-Hemp-45-Cotton-Jersey-61.html

Here's the current link for the UK crinkle viscose: http://www.ebay.com/itm/131829657205. 3 meters was plenty for me, at 5'5".

As for my progress... I just finished modding my Signals satchel! Minus the Alice clip. My fingers are killing me. :cry Sooo glad it's done, though. All I have left is putting together the staff kit and weathering! And making the backpack, too, eventually...

6uj2H8kl.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back