Rogue Troopers

I love the classic ANH Stormtrooper and hope to have a great quality replica helmet someday.

I think this new version is also fantastic! Watching the original film in 1977, much of what I thought was detail turns out to be stickers, decals or paint which is a bit disappointing for me.
I know how you feel, for years as a child I thought the tube stripes were concave. Only to find that they were stickers when "reading" the visual dictionary. "Heck! They were stickers (painted detail) this whole time?" It was even more amusing when the dictionary gave the stickers functions.

It appears the people that like the new suits like them because of the additional detail and the people that don't like them don't like the general shapes. We are focusing on different aspects.

Even if Lucasfilm no longer has complete OT suits, I find it hard to believe that they can't get access to whatever RS Props and Anovos used.

It appears the people that like the new suits like them because of the additional detail and the people that don't like them don't like the general shapes. We are focusing on different aspects.

Even if Lucasfilm no longer has complete OT suits, I find it hard to believe that they can't get access to whatever RS Props and Anovos used.

No kidding, if i was Anovos, i'd have been falling all over myself to make my stuff available to them. I'd give to them at cost or less. Think of sales pitch to the public - same suits LFL is using on R1 from the same molds, etc.

I find this attitude annoying.
I'm with HDPE. They should have done a better job on the sculpts. I'm not so much a purist that I think they should have kept every lump and warp from the original ANH suits, but I wish the shapes and details were handled with care. They were not.
There is a difference between a fan whose eye has been trained to see what separates the beauty of the original sculpts from the clunky, repulsive fan made suits that have been around since the 90's, and a fan who has not trained their eyes to tell the difference.
There is an air of the FX suit about the new R1 sculpt and although many fans are used to seeing those horrible fan suits and like them, there are those of us who cringe every time we see one in an official publication.
Just because you can't see why us old sticklers don't care for the new version does not mean we don't have a very valid grievance and well aimed criticism.

There's just a flaw in that argument. Seems the ONLY reason anyone can state is that the R1 suits should look identical the ANH suits based on timeline. And that argument has shown to not have a whole lot of validity. Just compare the duty suits used in Iraq vs, say, Alaska. They're different suits worn by the same army in the exact same time period.

The 'valid grievance and well aimed criticism' isn't really valid without knowing WHY they're different. It might turn out to be valid and they may have tried but it didn't hold up for a variety of reasons. But, without that information, you can claim validity. You can claim a right to your opinion, but you can't turn it into irrefutable fact.

I said before, maybe they're not SUPPOSED to be the exact same suit seen in ANH. It might supposed to be a bit different. And that very may well prove to be wrong as well. I'm just willing to wait for a final product before making a final decision.

I mean, not using a graflex didn't ruin E3 for me (other things did, but not that :) ). Neither did using a non grenade based Obi saber. They've done this stuff repeatedly.

No kidding, if i was Anovos, i'd have been falling all over myself to make my stuff available to them. I'd give to them at cost or less. Think of sales pitch to the public - same suits LFL is using on R1 from the same molds, etc.

May I just say how glad I am that LFL didn't ask Anovos for their final molds. :lol

RS owns their own set of armor: so I would think LFL could have asked, but RS wouldn't have to provide.

Hey Craigjohn, I've read you post on the Prop Den, you seem to be a genuinely good guy all around. Please read post #86 for my clarification concerning that particular point.:):thumbsup

I try to be a genuinely good guy all around. ...and reasonably fair.... :behave

So regarding the Hero vs. Stunt helmets you wrote: ...background helmets incorrectly ended being used in close up scenes, that's not what they were meant for. That 's a continuity error as well. Never said ANH was continuity errors free.

I'm inclined to believe the Hero Helmets were strictly for Luke and Han; whereas everywhere else in the film, they were just blended into the scene as a Stormtrooper - nothing more.

Part of the reason being - the principal photography likely happened so quickly because of time constraints (aka, shortage of money), and the fact they had 50+ suits of stunt armor vs 6 suits of hero armor, it was easy for Lucas and the set staff to get crossed up - or simply not really care either way for the majority of the scenes. Heck, even the production and film crew completely missed Mr. No Stripes who plays a major role in one scene (She'll be alright. Inform lord Vader we have a prisoner). So not only was Mr. No Stripes not a Hero helmet, he was missing significant helmet details. LOL

No. Lucas wasn't THAT much of a stickler for details. ...not even in his story writing "Luke kissing his sister" being a big one.

It's without question Star Wars was rather loosey-goosey (good lord, look at Vader's Helmet fitting throughout the movie), but they did tighten up quite a bit more on Empire Strikes Back. ...aside from ST stickers as decals. But even then, those are barely noticeable unless you know what to look for and/or pause the movie - which never happened in the theaters. Regardless, the overall production of ESB just feels infinitely better than ANH. (Yay IK).

FTR, much like you, the stunt helmet is my preference as well - I've always wanted one. In fact, I'll go so far as to say I'm not a fan of the hero helmet.

...Back to the Den I go to check for PM's.

Cheers,

:D

Last edited:
It would be funny if only the stormtroopers on the palm tree planet have the new look and we see others with the old look. I'm not expecting that to happen, but it would be funny.

May I just say how glad I am that LFL didn't ask Anovos for their final molds. :lol

RS owns their own set of armor: so I would think LFL could have asked, but RS wouldn't have to provide.

Anovos said their design was based on scans from multiple sources. I would think those sources still exist.

I'd be surprised if someone who owns original props would refuse to let Lucasfilm have access, especially someone who is selling copies of the prop. A collector would have more to brag about. A seller would be taking a risk pissing off Lucasfilm.

I doubt they asked anyone because they wanted to redo the design. Even if they had access to no original props, they could redesign something pretty close. Apparently they chose to not do that.

Anovos said their design was based on scans from multiple sources. I would think those sources still exist.

I'd be surprised if someone who owns original props would refuse to let Lucasfilm have access, especially someone who is selling copies of the prop. A collector would have more to brag about. A seller would be taking a risk pissing off Lucasfilm.

I doubt they asked anyone because they wanted to redo the design. Even if they had access to no original props, they could redesign something pretty close. Apparently they chose to not do that.

The odds of RS saying no would have been about a billion to 1. I mean, it's right up there with putting a gun to someone's head and asking them what to do. There's only one answer, really.

I didn't say RS (or anyone who owns an original full suit of armor) wouldn't - I only suggested "they wouldn't have to", as LFL no longer owns the rights to the physical pieces.

If LFL started from scratch, they did a pretty bang-up job with the helmet. The rest of the armor? The only ones who can enlighten us as to why the changes were made would be the costume design and production crew.

I've watched the movie countless times - I'm very aware the hero helmets were used throughout the movie - as both the hero, and in the background. ...which is why I'm most certain Lucas wasn't that picky over those helmets unless they were worn by Luke and Han. It's too random otherwise.

What method do you think would be used to make cheaper versions of these like the Anovos Standard line or efx PCR? I would think injection molding but a seam would most likely be needed like the efx PCR. Would vacuform work for the recessed details?

What's so funny bout peace love and understanding....

Yes, this is the Replica Prop Forum, we post one page of pictures showing screen used armour, (so we can make Replica Props using this Forum) and have three pages of arguing, sorry opinions...
Yes we do all notice the differences

I wasn't keen on the ep 3 Vader but if someone wants to research and start a thread about their ideas for making one I only need to say it's not my cup of tea once, surely, because It's pointless to keep saying I don't like it over and over in a thread I'm not interested in.

But, I can get in the spirit if I try, this helmet looks nothing like an FX helmet. I mean at all.
The FX looks like no stormtrooper helmet with its odd squared off top and massively oversized features. The Rogue helmet has none of that. The armour has a much smaller breast plate than the FX, the forearms are nothing like an FX or OT for that matter.

Like I said before I'm not saying it's perfect I'm not definitely not saying it's better, I love the "real" stormtrooper a lot more, but if you are interested in thread with some hi def reference, here it is and I would like anyone who is interested to please keep posting new and hi def pictures as they become available :) Thank you.

Sorry Space Bob:).

When I first clicked your thread I thought it was about the 2000 AD character but then I remembered this was the SW sub forum.

I genuinely thought this was a discussion / research thread on the new stormtrooper design.

A general discussion.

I didn't realize this was only meant for those who like and wish to replicate the new design.

Maybe the discussion I was looking for would be more suited in the original prop screen used section then.

The only reason I kept coming back to it, is that people have been quoting me and I felt I had to respond (and I think I've done a little bit more than just saying I don't like it.)

I could point out all the similarities I see with FX suit armour and a few from slightly more accurate helmets, which leads me to believe that

they based the new designs on fan made suits reference in addition to lucasfilm stuff, but that would be completely pointless and off topic apparently .

I'm inclined to believe the Hero Helmets were strictly for Luke and Han; whereas everywhere else in the film, they were just blended into the scene as a Stormtrooper - nothing more.

This is a possibility but I'm more inclined to believe that was just a poor job done from the assistant director, scrip supervisor and prop handlers, a crew that didn't believe in the film they were making (black suited guy with Bristol accent and space monkey). I don't think they were strictly for Han and Luke, but for close ups and extreme close ups..

Last edited:
Man I don't see people bashing this hard on the ROTJ helmet despite it being far less close to the other helmets.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Because ROTJ is set many years after ANH and the evolution of the suit and helmet is more plausible. (Even if that's not the true reason behind the changes.... prop wise).

No probs HDPE
Perhaps I should change the title to "rogue one stormtrooper research thread" no one minds healthy discussion so I might start a different thread now if I start modding my armour to the new design :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The way I'm seeing this debate is that even if they decided to try and make the suits as closely to the original ANH suits, there would still be people complaining about it "because XY and Z is WRONG!"

People need to get over it. They have the ability to make this into something more true to what a real suit would look like, that's all. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing their re-done TIE fighter pilot helmet/armor after seeing this

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back