Blade Runner 2049, old and new blasters!

Michelle
I think you have some facts wrong.
I havn't been working with Tomenosuke form the start. But for the runs I do have, your number just doesn't add up.
And yes, Tomenosuke has released several runs, all in limited numbers. But also factor in that most of these was in some way different form each other, moreso than just my artwork on the boxes.
The finished versions was colored differently. And som years ago the blaster was retooled to be more accurate.
Therefore it isn't just a mass produced item.

I think someone is salty about someone else's more successful business model. . .:rolleyes

I don’t think we talking about envy from one to other. I read every post and something made me think a lot about mass production. From the moment I start this “work/hobby” I learned many thing that a collector or a buyer can’t know if not start to produce something himself.
I know Michelle in person, I know his work side very well and I could say for sure that he is one of the most expert prop maker I ever know. If he said this for mass production, plastic injection and works with zama, he know what he said.
Just my two cent but believe me, analyze everything before talk of envy for people that don’t know what envy mean.
Thanks

I don’t think we talking about envy from one to other. I read every post and something made me think a lot about mass production. From the moment I start this “work/hobby” I learned many thing that a collector or a buyer can’t know if not start to produce something himself.
I know Michelle in person, I know his work side very well and I could say for sure that he is one of the most expert prop maker I ever know. If he said this for mass production, plastic injection and works with zama, he know what he said.
Just my two cent but believe me, analyze everything before talk of envy for people that don’t know what envy mean.
Thanks

Meh, edited.

Last edited:
I remember reading that Dan (owner of original prop) offered his blaster as reference for the new film. He was turned down, no doubt because of insurance costs, etc. and that they knew they could just use the Tomenosuke one. If this has been posted before - apologies, I just rifled through the posts on this thread.

To sum up, that prop "master", is an ash hole.

Portion - Translated version from Tomenosuke site: "In the video of VICE "Inside the Making of Blade Runner 2049", at around 05:30, the property master has has the Blaster in his hand, proudly explaining that he made it himself based on the real one. But as it is clearly obvious
We have been profoundly disturbed knowing this distorted information, and still unable to to screw up in the barrel and the cylinder, in the barrel and the cylinder. get our mind straight. We thought that a professional involved in creation like a property master, would understand the high standards we devoted to it, but it apparently turned out to be untrue actually. ---- Aside from that, the staff members who negotiated with "STUDIO ART" through Mune, (Hollywood Collectors Gallery), and who weathered the Tomenosuke Blaster for shooting, will reproduce a screen used version with the exact same weathering technique for sale in limited number at the Tomenosuke booth during Tokyo Comic Con, but did not the property master heard of this? Anyways, if he ever sees this article, the project may also be canceled."

http://tenshu53.exblog.jp/237784788/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hold a second please. i thought the original hero prop was used. for close study and pictures. now i'm just confused...

All I know FOR SURE is what they are showing as the 2049 movie blaster prop EXACTLY matches the Tomenosuke (larger grip is the dead giveaway) and NOT the original blaster prop owned by Dan Lanigan. They may have studied his for some weathering reference, but that's it. Either Doug Harlocker does not know what went on in his own department, or he's just lying because it sounds better to say they made an exact duplicate from scratch based on the original prop, than "well, we just used these really good replicas from some company in Japan."

Hello guys, I don't post so much arround the forums, but i like read the posts. A lot of you probably know who I am, if not I am the one that made the sidkit blaster for siderio.Just for knowledge, starting from 2007 (with Siderio), I sold more blaster kits than the others competirors on the market and I am continuing to sell it. I don't need to go on the forum for pubblicity, the sidkit blaster sell itself.Today I sold the number 1,256 blaster kit.I personally don't like Richard Colyle, but I have to be honest, it was a landmark for all Blaster collectors, without Coyle and his little "Venture" the sidkit blaster couldn't happen and the tomenosuke too.We would have to remember others guys that made blasters, you just know who they are.Seems that all people forget the credits. The first credits would be for Steyr and charter arms, probably the movie production can't say officially that Tomenosuke works for them. How tomenosuke are selling an officially blaster with marks that are trademarks of others? I never read Tomenosuk's steyr and charter arms credits! As Siderio said: "The blade runner blaster is a property of everyone" and we thank you steyr and charter arms, for the other blaster parts that compose this fantastic gun you can make them with not so much efforts. Do you understand that Tomenosuke made a Toy! Great, Amazing non functional toy and not a propmaster original piece. A sidkit blaster cost three time less than a Tomenosuke but I don't really understand why the Tomenosuke toy continue to cost so much?It is a mass produced toy! However, I hope my words didn't upset or offended anyone, it just the true.
Michelle Possanza
I can appreciate most everything you are saying, but to call the Tomenosuke blaster a "toy" seems a bit of a stretch and doesn't do the actual product any justice. Not quite sure it qualifies as mass-produced either.

Hold a second please. i thought the original hero prop was used. for close study and pictures. now i'm just confused...

I remember reading that Dan (owner of original prop) offered his blaster as reference for the new film. He was turned down, no doubt because of insurance costs, etc. and that they knew they could just use the Tomenosuke one. If this has been posted before - apologies, I just rifled through the posts on this thread.

To sum up, that prop "master", is an ash hole.

No, sean the original hero wasn't used, as SkullDroid quoted in my discussions with Dan, the studio prop team came and studied, photographed and measured his original extensively for the upcoming production and while the idea of them using the original prop came up very briefly, the idea was quickly dismissed.

Regards,
MARK

Last edited by a moderator:
Sir, you probably have no Idea about a die-cast and plastic injection production costs. Do you really think that Tomenosuke make every time 100 or 50 casting??? Do you have any idea what the cost are to start up and set-up the machines to made the plastic injection parts and overall die-cast zama parts and plus alluminium parts???? Do you think Tomenosuke made the plastic and metal parts manually? Probably you didn't understand that Tomenosuke First and unique starting production were based on a minimum of 500/1000 blasters.Tokyo marui do and did the same so he can sold an high quality airsoft gun for $180, and THE TOMENOSUKE KIT WOULD HAVE TO COST MAXIMUM $350 seen it isn't an airsoft gun. Tomenosuke sold them time to time in limited edition of 50 or 100 or moret but the parts are just stored and he will be really tired to see the blaster parts everywere on his appartment firm. I also read a post where said he promise this will be the last run'etc... And yes you was very lucky to buy the kit for $600 because seems that every time he sell a new blaster (the same blaster with same stock parts) the sold out is near the corner under 7 days or so. I don't think that the people that sell on ebay or yahoo auction japan lists the kit for the price you mentioned. Strange but probably you are unaware about the selling price on the most known auction websites. I think you don't know the game of the three carts, but if yes, you know what I mean.I think that Tomenosuke, when he started his adventure, thought that on propsummit and rpf there were thousands of collector ready to buy thousands of blaster.I sold mine '1256' in 10 years of busyness, he probably will sell his blasters within 10 years more. I never promise to the people I will sold 100 blaster only, than other 50, then other 100, than I promise these rae the last 50 and without publicity I sold everyday, still mark has a sidkit and thanks to generosity of Tomenosuke now he has got a Tom Blaster too. I was silent for years, but it's unvelievable the people really think that are buying a Tomenosuke to make a sort of benefaction.I bought last week my airsoft aliens pulse rifle on japan for $699, it is a big airsoft with electronics sci-fi rifle and it cost just a few more than a tomenosuke blaster.The limited edition is only a excuse. Now he have the rights and mark said probably also the steyr and charter arms approval? he did all in the rightg way so he can officially sold 'the blaster' the same publicized like the one used on the new movie, it is NOT. I think this is the problem and not the credits. The propmaster made his own version that differ fro a Tomenosuche blaster also if probably used his blaster.Seen Tomenosuke has the rights why don't sell 500 of them, give enjoy to all collectors and ask $369 for a built up? Because there are not 500 collectors ready to buy them. He continue sell to the "áffecionados" and the new collector entry with fresh monbey. I think you are a young guy, otherwise you would know that me and siderio started a revolution, al lot of here and on propsummit know that. When a blade runne made totally in resin costed $1,200 we started to sell our kit for $369.00 and it was made in metal. Stay sure I ma not me the speculator as you presumend.

Thanks for your post.

cat.jpg

Hey, I have a quick question about the new 2049 blaster, it is made to match the one used in the new movie correct? It doesn't match the one used in the original?

I'm looking in to buying one and I'd rather have a replica that matches the original.

Thanks!

Hey, I have a quick question about the new 2049 blaster, it is made to match the one used in the new movie correct? It doesn't match the one used in the original?

I'm looking in to buying one and I'd rather have a replica that matches the original.

Thanks!

It is about as close as you are going to get, with the exception of the weathering and the finish on the receiver.

Thanks!

Your First Queston:
Probably. Depends what you mean by the word "match". Ask Tomenosuke directly and send an email to HCG asking same. They will likely assist you on this. It looks a lot like the one in the new Blade Runner 2049 movie.
Your Second Question: Depends what you mean by the word "match". It looks a lot like the one in the new movie and a lot like the one in the 1982 original movie, and of course the Tomenosuke Blaster is very similar to both movie's blasters, and not exactly the same in every respect. Never will and was never intended to be exactly the same, if that is what you mean by match. Close enough is good enough in the real world of prop replicas and prop collecting. You want an exact match...be prepared to spend tens of thousands of dollars on buying one or thousands of hours and headaches trying to build one. Again, best to ask Tomenosuke for a more informative answer on this matter.
:ninja

PS: Win7ermute's answer in the above post, is a more concise and excellent answer to your questions.

Michelle
I think you have some facts wrong.
I havn't been working with Tomenosuke form the start. But for the runs I do have, your number just doesn't add up.
And yes, Tomenosuke has released several runs, all in limited numbers. But also factor in that most of these was in some way different form each other, moreso than just my artwork on the boxes.
The finished versions was colored differently. And som years ago the blaster was retooled to be more accurate.
Therefore it isn't just a mass produced item.

Sir, I love the grphics work you did for Tomenosuke's boxes. i think you added a value to Tomenosuke's Blaster. Sincerly, Works of art are works of art, CHAPEAU!

Michelle

- - - Updated - - -

I can appreciate most everything you are saying, but to call the Tomenosuke blaster a "toy" seems a bit of a stretch and doesn't do the actual product any justice. Not quite sure it qualifies as mass-produced either.

I am pleased you agree with me for some of my point of views. This will be a loong post, but understand...seems I am a cat in a big arena. A toy is a toy and Tomenosuke made a good toy blaster, he did something better than Mattel, Sideshow or factory enterteinment. Probably if master replicas never stopped the business, today, I would not be here to talk about a toy!?! Now I'm not explaining my point of view but the facts. Japan is: "The cradle of toy guns"I mean Airsoft or caps guns. Then there are blank firing (for a strange act after WWII the japan could not make blank firing gun) , However, blank firing guns are made almost in steel, so the blank firings can't be called toys, but replica fire arms. Tomenosuke didn't make a replica fire arms either an airsoft replica or a caps firing gun.I understand that a lot of people payied a lot of bucks for a tomenosuke blaster and they would like all people say it is a work of art, "an highly technological hand made props". Someone, lucky collectors, bought a blaster pro kit for few dollars, this said eethan; I was unlucky! I payeid mine $690 plus shipping plus tax for a total of $920.So, in the most of cases, be a owner of a tomenosuke blaster (kit or build up) is an investment, well done, I don't say Tomenosuke Blaster is crap, it is the best toy blaster ever made...for now.I like show to my friends the Tomenosuke's blaster near my Sidkit Blaster. I think that all people here know the words: "Die-cast". The metal parts of a tomenosuke are die-cast.What does it mean? You sure bought a model car, metal model car, the scale may vary, 1/43, 1/24, 1/25, 1/18 they are all made by zama or zamak the name of the inventor of the alloy. Zama is used to made a lot of things ;we use it every day. You probably unkorked a beer with a zama's made bottle opener, and how many times you opened a door with zama's knob handle?But the zama is used, overall, to made toys, for mass production. The upper barrel of the tomenosuke' gun is made of zama die-cast process. also the trigger, hammer and so on......Also the injection plastic machine is used to made plastic toy parts too....and what say about electronics, I received my kit with a well done printed circuit board to light up the five red leds located on the ammo clip, but the side view with two green leds has not wiring, this would includes a guy that do that. At the end... there are a lot of talented (with minor visibility) workshops, in japan, that made a great replica toy guns. One of this toy gun customizer is www.mule.co.jp they made a fantastic charter arms buldog, with plastic, metal parts and wood grips, really an exact replica, it is a caps firing gun, I bought it times ago, I spent $200 if they will make a blaster would cost about $600-$700, built and with firing caps too.But the surprise is that mule buldog is made in the same way the tomenosuke blaster buldog parts are conceived, the same cilynder with round washer at the end, an the steel metal blockage on the main barell......but....Tomenosuke didn't make caps firing bullets. Why? he could made it, believe he could easily make it. As I wrote on precedent post, he tought to sell hundreds of Blaster instanctly and the most them shipped out of japan, so a caps gun firing could be a problem for other countries, better something declared as a toy. If you think I am wrong, show me another popular japanese toy gun maker that sold an accurated gun replica that can't shot bb's or firing caps. I am not pratical of rpf but I will try to include images. About the credits, I worked for a lot companies, in europe, they all asked me to make prototypes. My contracts every time report:" You agree that we will do what we want with your model". So, you are making a crusade for Tomenosuke. The solution is very easy. Ask Tomenosuke scan his contract and show it on the forum, if in the contract is wrote clearely the studios promise the credits, I will stay in front of you for lapidation.

Michelle

pip2.jpgpip.jpgIMG_20170929_001022.jpgIMG_20170929_000939.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, what I mean by match is good enough, both look really good, but I'm wondering which looks more like the one from the 1st film. Based off the image and videos the new 2049 one seem to have a darker tint on the barrel. Like it's almost black.

But it's hard to tell off video and promo pictures what it really looks like.

I know if I get the pro one I'm gonna be spending quite a bit more then the new one.

But I'm trying to figure which one looks more like the original movie and which one is better quality. Is it worth spending double to get the first one.

In my opinion again based off video and pictures the pro looks more worn and more like the original film. But again it hard to say via photos.

Also my worry about the 2049 one in quality, I saw a video comparing the two and he said the 2049 on has more plastic parts, is this true?

Last edited:
In my opinion again based off video and pictures the pro looks more worn and more like the original film. But again it hard to say via photos.

Also my worry about the 2049 one in quality, I saw a video comparing the two and he said the 2049 on has more plastic parts, is this true?

There are very minor differences . Packaging, receiver finish, rounds are a little different and not engraved. No change in materials at all. If you feel you need the blued finish and its worth the price difference then go for it. Neither model is "worn", all Tomenosukes ship "as new".

Thank you! That's what I needed to know, no the blue tint is not really worth the price that much. If it was worn and looked screen used then yes. If the new one is made the same way then that's the one I'm getting. Thanks for all the help. I'm still new to this place and everyone here is super helpful.

I know people have said that the 2049's bolt action is a little loose. Anyone have any tips on fixing that?

Thank you! That's what I needed to know, no the blue tint is not really worth the price that much. If it was worn and looked screen used then yes. If the new one is made the same way then that's the one I'm getting. Thanks for all the help. I'm still new to this place and everyone here is super helpful.

I know people have said that the 2049's bolt action is a little loose. Anyone have any tips on fixing that?

Most people fix it with a little rubber washer or o-ring between between the end cap and the bolt assembly, I think.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back