Help needed repairing cracked Don Post X-Wing pilot helmet :(

Obi Fun

Hi!

I'm new here & looking for some help or advice.

I have a somewhat large crack in my X-Wing pilot helmet :(
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
The branding on the Helmet says

Don Post Mask
Lucasfilm 1997
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
Although the box says 2002

What would the best way to repair the helmet be? Are there any glues that are suitable? I've had one suggestion that the edges might have to be melted to bond them together (like a weld for plastic).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Hope you can help - thank you :)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a recycling mark with a number inside the helmet? I believe some Don Post helmets were PVC but not sure if all were. Knowing what that recycling code is would help pick a proper adhesive.

Is there a recycling mark with a number inside the helmet? I believe some Don Post helmets were PVC but not sure if all were. Knowing what that recycling code is would help pick a proper adhesive.
Thanks kindly for your reply! Can't see a recycling symbol on the helmet, just on the box (& I guess that could mean the the cardboard box is recyclable.

UPDATE: I was advised by a maintainance man that superglue would be suitable.

It's actually bonded it together so far
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Surprisingly, superglue is holding it, but I want to glue something to the under surface across the crack to hold it together firmly and permanently.

Does anyone have any tips as to what will bond the helmet plastic to another plastic permanently to secure the crack.

Thanks kindly :)

I don't know what is on the underside but there is a fiberglass product that you can paint on that will harden up and should keep it together forever. :)

Yeah fiberglasing the inside is probably the best bet, just sand the inside surface to ruff it up first.

Thank you karmajay and mmhnc for your advice

The inside of the helmet looks like this
image.jpeg
There is a soft foam lining that I think I can easily remove and under that is just the plastic
image.jpegimage.jpeg
So you think the fibreglass will adhere to the plastic? I've never done fiberglassing before. Is it difficult/expensive? What does the process involve? I presume that the sanding gives the fibreglass a better surface to adhere to?
As an alternative, can an apoxy resin/glue be applied over the crack on the inside (perhaps a few layers)? If this was an option, would I still sand the surface?

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that would work as well. Typically light sanding gives a better surface for things to adhere to.

Yes remove the foam so you just have the plastic, you can buy a fiberglass repair kit that has everything you need at any home improvement or automotive store. It's only like $15. So here are the steps.

Before you start cut a piece of fiberglass cloth to the proper size, a bit bigger than the cracked area
1. Sand area to be repaired
2. In a paper cup or plastic paint mixing cup mix about 3oz of resin and hardener
3. With a disposable brush (I like the cheap bristled kind) brush resin in area (on the inside)
4. Place fiberglass cloth over the crack
5. Brush more resin over cloth until it is covered
6. Allow to dry in a warm well ventilated area

Wpuldnt the resin warp the pvc because of the exothermic reaction? Maybe glueing a strip of pvc flooring might work as well? I ask because I have that very same problem with my DP x-wing helmet.

Not in my experience but that is why I would recommend against any kind of solvent like PVC cement. You could cut a strip of hips or styrene or abs and super glue that on the inside. I am not familiar with PVC flooring.

I would personally use a 2 part epoxy on a few strips of plastic on the inside. If the crack is still showing, you may need to do some body filler and a repaint.

If you don't want to screw with nasty resins, I can recommend FiberFix, which you can get at Home Depot or equivalent. It's essentially a fiber tape that you dunk in water and then apply. The more layers the stronger it is. Caveats: Once you open the package you have to use it all, and once it's wet it needs to be used within a few minutes so I'd cut it into strips first.

But it'll harden just like fiberglass and you're not committing to a big container of resin. Still scuff up the inside of the helmet first.

-Rog

I would use epoxy adhesive and a strip of fibreglass weave. You won't need much. There should be inexpensive strips of fibreglass weave among other supplies for automotive repairs. Apply epoxy, then the strip and then dab it with a disposable brush down so that it gets completely wet. Be sure to get the edges down. It can get a bit messy but keep at it at dabbing down. You could perhaps use a little bit of water to avoid getting the brush stuck.

It could be difficult to use a piece of plastic on a curved surface.
Polyester resin - which is what is commonly used for laying fibreglass - is not a good adhesive on plastics. (other than itself)
Puttys are usually brittle, unless it is one that is reinforced with short strands of fibreglass or microfibres. Puttys' adhesive properties are also diminished because of all the fillers in them. Auto body fillers (such as Bondo) are based on polyester resin.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back