Star Wars Rebels Ghost Model

Hey, excellent idea! If you start if, I'll contribute so we can vacate without intruding on this thread any further.

R/ Robert

Hello, guys.
For the moment I'm not working on this project.
A lot of work in the office, a lot to do on the my new house (I just moved).

So... for those of you working on a Ghost I'm sharing my blueprints with you.

Here is the link, it's an Illustrator 10 file.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3W6C6scnsgNSGtuNUdnTVF0eWM

Hope you make something cool, and please share it here so I can check it.

Best!

Last edited:
Hello, guys.
For the moment I'm not working on this project.
A lot of work in the office, a lot to do on the my new house (I just moved).

So... for those of you working on a Ghost I'm sharing my blueprints with you.

Here is the link, it's an Illustrator 10 file.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3W6C6scnsgNSGtuNUdnTVF0eWM

Hope you make something cool, and please share it here so I can check it.

Best!

Thanks so much for sharing! We all know how other projects come up, I know I have a motorcycle I have been building for 11 years, lol.

Tbody, thank you so much for access to your drawings! I see we share pretty much the same determinations regarding the detailed layout of the Ghost. In fact, it is rather 'spooky' how close together we are overall - which encourages me we are on the 'right track'.

TBODY_RBEACH84_extract_compare.jpg

If I may, I'd like to comment on some points where we differ. as a form of peer review. My notes are intended as constructive and in no way to detract from what is an excellent rendition. I suspect you started from much less than I did, since I boot-strapped by tracing the rather tiny (and grainy) 3-views included on Disney's 'fact sheet' poster (which may have been distorted somewhat since my drawings don't fit all the 'official' dimensions exactly.) But on cursory examination, I can offer these points:

- The top & bottom symmetry of the wing centerline: On your drawing, the horizontal plane that passes from front to rear through the docking ports does not share a centerline on the fuselage side wedges (the ones that the cockpit cover sets on & end in the 'headlight' cutouts...) However, they should share the same horizontal centerline as the 'wing' volumes. The visual seems offset because the upper forward 'wing' is not replicated underneath, making the intersection joint line of different heights. But this is an optical illusion. (Note: I have drawn in the supplementary hold volume under the front 'wing', as depicted in the 1/355 cake-topper Ghost model.)

- The front face of the fuselage 'spine' is angled, perpendicular to the top surface of the fuselage 'wedge'. This is evident if you look at the panel line details which are also perpendicular.

- The main cargo hatch door, which you've not depicted as of yet, is angled (top forward) closer to verical and protrudes 'proud' of the main hold face. However, looking back through my source material, I see that this is probably a season 2 change, like the cut-offs of the fuselage wedge lower surface and the aft cargo hold face. So, I guess I am working up a bit of a mixed bag... it would certainly be easier to draw it per season 1!

TBODY_extract_01.jpg RBEACH84_extract_01.jpg

Looking at the top turret bubble, I think I like the smaller one better. I was trying to match the various images next to the characters, which has Kanan looking pretty small when seated in it.

As became apparent as I developed the drawings, there is a high degree of upper & lower symmetry, as least in the forward fuselage and the wings. The aft fuselage turned out to be much more complex. So, the docking port & tunnel volumes, and the fuselage 'wedges', share not only a left-right symmetry but also a top-bottom symmetry. But symmetry is missing from many features such as the nose gunner's station, which is not on the horizontal centerline but centered below it. The 'bubble' is also elliptical, not circular in cross section (as you found also) and has a straight (vertical) base vs a dished intersection.

Once again, collaboration via RPF is proving most satisfying & helpful in getting things 'right'.

Kind Regards,
Robert

Revisiting the top turret, I feel like I've actually got it pretty close. I used a six foot tall dimensional figure to gauge the bubble size, per this picture (extracted from series screen cap.) Note how Kannan's waist is essentially level with the bubble's race, with plenty of head room:
source_topturret.jpg

With my CAD figure in place, it looks close, perhaps about 5% oversized? Let me know what you think...

topturret_figure compare.jpg

R/ Robert

Great notes, Robert!
You will have to forgive me, I'm a little bit rusty on the Ghost thing.
It's been six months since I left the project stand by.
Checking my files I found the 3d model, wich I think it's a little bit more complete (at least in some areas) than the blueprints.
If you can open OBJ files I will be more than glad to share it with you.

The back of the ship was always my main concern, because it's not show that much on the show.
But I think I'm close to it on the 3d model.

Best!

Esteban

Great notes, Robert!
Checking my files I found the 3d model, wich I think it's a little bit more complete (at least in some areas) than the blueprints.

The back of the ship was always my main concern, because it's not show that much on the show.

Best!

Esteban

Bueno Esteban, but unfortunately I don't have any way to work with 3D at this time. I am using my mundane draftsman skills (and the ol' Mk.1 eyeball) to work up 2D plans (using a 2D version of AutoCAD.) If you can produce a render series of isometric 'walkaround' images, I could use them to check against my own plans. It is useful to do this in any case because you can then compare to screen caps from the show (sort of like what Firefox3D has done with his Firefox aircraft project), assuming you can get close with the viewpoint settings.

Last night, I finished up with the shuttle docking bay and now am using that to help map out the Phantom itself. I must have worked through ten iterations before I was 'happy' with the cross section... that is a weird area, especially when an unknown amount of perspective distortion is being applied to the animation. The 'doghouse' above the docking bay seems to change proportions from one view to the next. Click to open PDF of shuttle draft:

View attachment Phantom_draft.pdf

Regards, Robert

Last edited:
Great notes, Robert!

Best!

Esteban
I think I have the ability to open object files, can definitely open step files. I would be pretty happy to get to look at what you have so far. I wouldn't share it without permission.

Here is a sneak peek of the shuttle drawings so far:

shuttle draft extract.jpg

As is evident, I am tweaking the views concurrently to maintain consistency. With this many moving parts, that gets tough. But it is going well, with the shuttle docking in the drafted bay perfectly. Only major issue is do I have the nose section at the correct length - it looks short to me but I have limited views of it from the side so this is tricky with no reference dimensions. I'm pretty sure I shorted it when doing the ol' proportional analysis due to not normalizing the horizontal reference plane front to rear. So, expect there to be another revision of this... fortunately, it won't impact the rest of the drawings other than deepening the internal bay a bit.

Cheers!

Robert

Last edited:
Perhaps this will help stir the potions a bit:
View attachment 652356
View attachment 652357

I've found I can directly copy my AutoCAD drawing components into an OpenOffice.Org DRAW file, then convert to a PDF and it will retain the 'image' data as vector data, so when zoomed, it stays as crisp as the original (though I have to take care and REGEN the data before selecting it for COPY.)

I was wondering how I would get my drawings into an easily transportable format. Guess that answers the question...

Regards, Robert

Sorry to quote myself... anyway, I found that one issue with the afore mentioned procedure is that the images Paste into the DRAW document distorted. There is probably something in my settings that causes this to happen, so I'll keep working on it. If I use preset boundaries of set proportions, I may be able to adjust the pasted data to be correct before converting into a PDF.

Here is a sample of the cross sections of the shuttle I've worked up. Notice how the circular features have become ovals...

One is the PDF version, the other is a clickable JPG like most attachments:

shuttle cross sections.jpgView attachment shuttle cross sections.pdf

Although the JPG screen capture shows proper relationships re: X,Y , it is relatively low rez compared to the PDF data. The admittedly cluttered side view shows the interior envelope using blue; magenta shows 'hidden' profiles. The side view will be cleaned up and further interior details added to aid with modeling any desired internal features (since you can see the length of the inside from the front canopy...) I found the shuttle top & bottom view just fit onto a sheet of 8.5 x 11 inch paper, at a 1/4" = 1 foot plot.

During the time I've put into these plans, I've been considering how to best share them with anyone who is interested. One idea is to actually print out copies and mail them out upon request. Reimbursement for the print & mailing costs would be necessary, but it would allow for high quality output without any technical gyrations, plus I could print to a specified scale, at least up to 36" wide (which I believe is the max my local printing offices can accomodate.) Would love to hear other ideas on this issue.

Regards, Robert

Last edited:
Interesting stuff! Though the 3D turnaround images are a bit small. The top 3-view is pretty good except for a few minor points; certainly clearer than the grainy 3-view from the Disney 'fact sheet' I started my plans with... helps to validate my depiction.

So, any other ideas to distribute my plans? Basically, I am using AutoCAD Light (AutoCAD 2000) to draft my drawings; it has limited capability for file formats, basically just AC DWG files, plus the 'hack' I've used a couple of times which is producing distorted results.

Thanks again for the help, guys.

Regards, Robert

LRZ very interesting, thanks for contributing
rbeach84 how about a PDF printer, like free PDF xp or something, you can use it just like a printer including setting up paper size

Last edited by a moderator:
Mmhc, I'm investigating that possibility, but I have to figure out how to get it to install in the XP emulator. I was thinking of MS XPS document writer might be an option.

Good idea.

R/ Robert

Yeah a post script righter especially the native MS XPS should create a viewable document just like if you printed a PDF. Let me know if you want someone to try to open it.

Well, another fine quality product from Microsuck. I was able to get the XPS document "printer" installed. And it works -to a point. Regardless of the size paper I specify, the XPS file saves with only what fits on a letter sized paper. So, it keeps 'truncating' the print data... I've delved into this and apparently, the XPS Printer, being virtual, is getting the 'available paper' (aka paper tray available) size from somewhere without any controls to allow it to be changed. Just plain sloppy programming. And the best discussion on MS Support ends with the tech basically saying "well it works for me" without ever getting into possible sources for the problem.

So, short story, XPS Printer ain't going to do it...

Foxit PDF Reader was my next choice, but apparently the 32-bit version install I have that will load on the XP VM doesn't include the Foxit Printer utility that is available in the host Win7 client, so it is a fail as well since the XP VM client cannot share spooling across the VM boundary (yes, more wonderful MS products that works seamlessly...)

So the search continues...

Regards, Robert

Interesting stuff! Though the 3D turnaround images are a bit small. The top 3-view is pretty good except for a few minor points; certainly clearer than the grainy 3-view from the Disney 'fact sheet' I started my plans with... helps to validate my depiction.

So, any other ideas to distribute my plans? Basically, I am using AutoCAD Light (AutoCAD 2000) to draft my drawings; it has limited capability for file formats, basically just AC DWG files, plus the 'hack' I've used a couple of times which is producing distorted results.

Thanks again for the help, guys.

Regards, Robert
You can get the educational version of Autocad for free. That's what I use professionally because the drawings I produce are all internal. The only difference is the "educational version" watermarked on the edge

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

And I gotta say, that spoiler is pretty exciting.

However, I kind of hope they save it for another series. Perhaps a straight to DVD film

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back