Klingon Headpiece

Picard102

Sr Member
For halloween me and my girlfriend are dressing up as hipster Klingons. This will be my first time casting or sculpting anything, so it should be interesting. She has a bit of experience sculpting and casting Warhammer figures.

Today we attempted to cast our heads. Ended up needing to do it twice each to get it right.

Her makeup came along with her impression.

Attachments

• IMG_4693.JPG
    IMG_4693.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 124
  • IMG_4739.JPG
    IMG_4739.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_4734.JPG
    IMG_4734.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 142
  • IMG_4720.JPG
    IMG_4720.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 136
  • IMG_4709.JPG
    IMG_4709.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_4701.JPG
    IMG_4701.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 116
Quick question. We poured our Ultracal 30 into the moulds, but didn't really have as much as we should have.
Will Ultracal bond to itself if we went and got more in the morning and filled the rest of it, or would it just come apart at the seam?

Quick question. We poured our Ultracal 30 into the moulds, but didn't really have as much as we should have.
Will Ultracal bond to itself if we went and got more in the morning and filled the rest of it, or would it just come apart at the seam?

You will be faced with a couple of problems. 1, alginate shrinks as it cures.. and stone sucks the moisture out of everything. You should get it under a few saturated towels to elongate the life of the alginate if at all possible, but over night may be too long.

2, while the ultracal should stick to itself, I'd suggest an acrylic binder like Acryl60 to make the odds a bit better.

3, for future reference, straws in the nose and mouth are absolutely not recommended in any way shape or form. It is a hazard and should be avoided at all cost... Not only does it cause distortions in the life cast, but I've heard many horror stories of people knocking the straws and a downpour of blood making it very hard to breath...Next time do the life cast sitting up and just be very careful leaving the nostrils open.

...Next time do the life cast sitting up and just be very careful leaving the nostrils open.

Or that could easily turn into an unintended Death Mask... :O
Picard102 Hipster Klingons. Hmmm. THIS I have to see. Has this been approved by the High Council? ;)
"chaq DIr wej tlhap yejquv." - (May the High Council not take your skin.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't end up needing to add more Ultracal. Faces came out pretty good. Did some rough sanding to remove any imperfections.

Attachments

• IMG_1767.JPG
    IMG_1767.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1848.JPG
    IMG_1848.JPG
    841.2 KB · Views: 95
So I'm 90% done with the clay modelling process, just need to refine the nose.
Girlfriend is done her's.

A bit confused as to what the next step is. Do we make a cast of this with Ultracal (and if so, how do we prevent it from bonding to the stone?), or cast it with the alginate?

Attachments

• IMG_0419.JPG
    IMG_0419.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0422.JPG
    IMG_0422.JPG
    878.2 KB · Views: 80
So I'm finished sculpting and planning on casting this up and pulling latex prosthetics out.

The first idea I had was to cast via alginate and then pull latex copies out quickly before it shrank, but I fear the alginate might be too fragile to hold up to cleaning the clay out and multiple latex castings. Another thought was to cast it in ultracal but I'd worried that it will bond to the existing face made of ultracal.

Is there any efficient way to do this that I've missed?

I'm pretty new to this too, and this is my first post here, but I've been working on my first facial prosthetic and I am getting very acceptable results using a gelatine mixture for the negative mould of my sculpt.

I use the recipe and method from this web page: http://www.instructables.com/id/Using-gelatin-for-moulds-and-prosthetics/?ALLSTEPS

It works VERY well. The material ends up being very much like RTV rubber, and you'll be able to get many pieces from the mould. Best of all, it's cheap and reusable!

So casting in Ultracal didn't work out very well. I was way to hard to get the sculpt out of it. Ended up having to destroy the outer shell.

Tried using the alginate. Shrank up too quickly I think, but we pulled five pieces out of it in RD-407 latex. Going to try either ultracal again or the gelatin material mentioned above for the second mask.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back