Jedi Comlink WIP - Part Identification and Build

Recently I started working on a (generic) Jedi costume for the Rebel Legion. I have food capsules and an A99 and I'm working on a droid caller from a vintage Kobold (so happy I found one!). The comlink is one of those things that rarely pops up on its own so I've decided to make two of them. Still deciding on the final versions. I need to get screen caps from the movies (thank goodness for Blu-Ray) so I can make a final call on that. Still, I'm going to work to identify all of the parts for the variants before making that call. Assuming the.rebel.agent or someone else that has built one doesn't mind, I may offer kits down the road once everything is worked out.

I have to give a ton of credit here to the.rebel.agent and many others for the hard work done in previous threads. I'm hoping to enlist the help of all again to get this going with the correct parts. I want to shoot for a "screen used" version along with the EP1 blood sampler so there's a lot to do here.

If I don't have any luck getting the original laser cutting sheets from the.rebel.agent (I've contacted him to see if he can find them) I'll have to recreate them to make a new one :cry

If anyone has the files with the measurements loaded so we can actually get orders in, please contact me!!

So far, the only part I have in my possession is the Gillette Sensor Excel razor. I managed to get two of them on eBay for way more than they are really worth :angry

Based on the few threads that exist and some discussions I've held over PMs, it looks like I'll need to track down the following items. If anyone can help identify missing parts or provide sources for things I can't find (like solder tabs) please post in the thread or shoot me a PM! I have reviewed the site of the person that supplied many of the parts but I can't find anything useful to buy off his site now: http://www.bobsbits.tv

Parts:

SOLDER LUG - closest anyone seems to have found is the 5403 from Seastrom ( Seastrom Manufacturing - Solder lugs in brass with tin plating ) BUT they have an MOQ of 100 pieces and none on hand. Not really looking to invest $120 on six lugs

sodrlug.jpg

MATRIX PINS - antennae for the comlinks, part number M39029/5-115. Trying to get a deal on them on eBay.

matpin.jpg

ACORN NUTS - seen on the back of one of the variants, part number DIN 1587 M3. EDIT: Bought 50 of them on eBay ( 50pcs Lot DIN1587 M3 Stainless Steel A2 Acorn Dome Head Hex Nuts | eBay )

9mm TRI-STARS - in the past others have used tri-beads to make these and I may go that route if I can't work out the laser cutting sheet. Here's a set on eBay of the beads: 150 Pink Blue Purple Plastic Tri Beads 9mm Great for Easter Baskets | eBay

TRIANGULAR HEAD BOLT - two of these can be seen on the center/back portion of the comlink on Parts of SW. Best thing I can find is 3D printed from the.rebel.agent's store: Jedi Comlink Prop Replica Triangular Head Bolt by the.rebel.agent on Shapeways

220x165_198195_247016_1338415904.jpg

TOP LEVER PART B - credit to the.rebel.agent: Jedi Comlink Prop Replica Top Lever Like Part B by the.rebel.agent on Shapeways

220x165_198517_247141_1338415907.jpg

TOP LEVER PART A - credit to the.rebel.agent: Jedi Comlink Prop Replica Top Lever Like Part A by the.rebel.agent on Shapeways

220x165_198525_247145_1338415907.jpg

MICROPHONE PART - credit to the.rebel.agent: Jedi Comlink Prop Replica Voice Microphone Part by the.rebel.agent on Shapeways

220x165_198182_247009_1338415904.jpg

POSITIVE LOCK PART - credit to the.rebel.agent: Jedi Comlink Prop Replica Positive Lock Part by the.rebel.agent on Shapeways - Looks like the real-world part number is something like M85731/1-14C but I can't find it on any site I can buy it from :facepalm

220x165_209422_251827_1338415967.jpg

TRUNCATED CONE - this is from the back of the Parts of SW version. Credit to the.rebel.agent: Jedi Comlink Prop Replica Truncated Cone Part by the.rebel.agent on Shapeways

220x165_198184_247011_1338415904.jpg

TRI SCREW - this has been identified as a #4 tri-wing bolt. I'll probably order some brass ones from eBay like these: 3 16? Tri Wing Bolts NAS4403 4 Tri Slot Screw Bolt NAS Aircraft Hardware Screws | eBay . Can also be purchased on Shapeways through the.rebel.agent: Jedi Comlink Prop Replica Tri-Wing Bolt by the.rebel.agent on Shapeways

220x165_209423_251828_1338415967.jpg

ESTIMATED PART MEASUREMENTS (credit to the.rebel.agent)

Estimated measurements: (in mm)
Top View
Lever Angle 76.35 73.1
D Shaped Solder Lug Width 247 11.65
Big Cylinder Diameter 247 11.65 143 6.74
Small Cylinder Diameter 247 11.65 79 3.73
Level Lenght 247 11.65 404 19.06
Small Lever Lenght 247 11.65 114 5.38
Distance 247 11.65 139 6.56
Inner Hole Diameter 247 11.65 85 4.01

Front View
D Shaped Solder Lug Height 217 16.58
D Shaped Solder Thickness 218 17.58 13 1.05
Level Arm Height 217 16.58 65 4.97
Groove Height 217 16.58 6 0.46
End Cap Height 217 16.58 35 2.67
Top Cap Height 217 16.58 25 1.91
Big Cylinder Diameter 217 16.58 87 6.65
Small Cylinder Diameter 217 16.58 48 3.67
Total Height 217 16.58 131 10.01 10.01
Side View
Big Cylinder Diameter 84 6.74
Small Cylinder Diameter 56 4.5

CREDIT FOR BELOW IMAGE: itsalive
JediComlinkParts.jpg

http://www.theforce.com.ar/Downloads/News/JediComlinkPropReplica/Jedi.Comlink.Test.Parts.pdf

REFERENCE IMAGES

jedicommop9.jpg

comlink.jpg

qgjcom2.jpg

comblood.jpg

Jedi+Comlink+2.jpg

comlink.jpg

This one is my favorite! I want to do it just like this!

7879692922_f9189be569_z.jpg

Last edited:
this is awesome, can't wait to see progress! Didn't know there were two different props, one with levers on top (and a chip in the back) and one without...

Thanks for that bottom pic, I've never seen a closeup of that part!

I haven't read a discussion on this in a while, so I might be wrong, but a while back people thought the solder lugs were custom ordered because we couldn't find a stock part in that size.

Hey IA, this looks great so far! I just threw my comlink together from some bits and bobs I had laying around my parts bin - yours is much more "official" and promises to look fantastic. Also looking forward to seeing your formal costume approval when it's up. If you need help w/ any RL stuff, let me know. The world needs more Jedi! Good luck:thumbsup

Thanks DS!

Ok, you guys aren't going to believe this...I got in touch with the guy that took the last picture and he told me that it is the SCREEN USED PROP! He took the picture at a Start Wars Expo in Canada: Star Wars Identities The Exhibition ? Get to know the characters

No wonder it looks so perfect! That is out of this world. I don't think we've seen any pictures that are this clear of the prop.The Expo is going to be in Ottawa next running from May 10th to September 2nd. If anyone is in Ottawa, PLEASE TAKE MORE PICTURES!!

EDIT: MORE GOOD NEWS!!

I talked to Seastrom today and scored 100 of the solder lugs! They are brass but who cares, right?! This is awesome. Can't wait to get them.

Last edited:
Worked out a deal on eBay last night to get 10 of the matrix pins. I also contacted the seller to see if I could score more. So far I've acquired...

- 2 razors
- 100 solder tabs
- 50 acorn nuts
- 10 matrix pins

Still no word on the laser cutting sheets for the other parts. I might have to start working on layouts on my own. Hopefully I can make some progress on it this weekend

this is effing awesome :D

Thanks DS!

Ok, you guys aren't going to believe this...I got in touch with the guy that took the last picture and he told me that it is the SCREEN USED PROP! He took the picture at a Start Wars Expo in Canada: Star Wars Identities The Exhibition ? Get to know the characters

No wonder it looks so perfect! That is out of this world. I don't think we've seen any pictures that are this clear of the prop.The Expo is going to be in Ottawa next running from May 10th to September 2nd. If anyone is in Ottawa, PLEASE TAKE MORE PICTURES!!

EDIT: MORE GOOD NEWS!!

I talked to Seastrom today and scored 100 of the solder lugs! They are brass but who cares, right?! This is awesome. Can't wait to get them.

I have been hard at work gathering additional parts for the build(s) and have found quite a bit of good stuff. I also have some pictures from the BR SW films that I took this weekend. The first set of shots are the ones we've seen posted quite often of Qui-Gon in TPM. The second sets includes CGI and real-world shots from ROTS. The scenes with R2-D2 holding the comlink are clearly CGI and vary slightly from the real-world prop Obi is using. I did not include the CGI shots of Yoda using one at the end of ROTS as they were not very clear.

I have been in contact with the original prop maker and he may have some of the tri-wing nuts for me. No luck finding real world examples of the locking washer or a couple of other parts. I did order some things from the.rebel.agent's Shapeways store. Once I get them I'll look in to having them machined and getting additional parts laser cut. Things are definitely coming along.

Soon I hope to put one of them completely together and then start working on molds. I'd love to put electronics in it but I don't know if that is going to work. I might borrow Erv's old idea and put the guts from a Bluetooth headset inside one. We'll see

Here's what I've gathered thus far...

Razors

Matrix Pins

Tri Screws

Solder Lugs

Acorn Nuts

TPM Photos

ROTS Photos

CGI

Real World

I haven't found a shot in the movies without it. In fact, I haven't seen any of the other variants in the movies. I have the kid's toy walkie talkie comlinks and they have different parts as well.

I think I'm only going to make the one variant now because that's all I have seen on-screen

My plan is to build one complete comlink in the coming weeks when I'm back from vacation. From there, I'll have to start working on how it will be molded. I actually have zero experience with making molds or casting but I've been watching tutorials and it looks like something I can handle.

As for the USB idea, that is a good one. Rather than making the whole comlink a drive I might just do it with the blood sampler. It looks enough like a flash drive already anyway.

As for the USB idea, that is a good one. Rather than making the whole comlink a drive I might just do it with the blood sampler. It looks enough like a flash drive already anyway.

Yep ... my idea ... exactly ... this will become a nice static prop while functional at the same time :)

-Chaim

My plan is to build one complete comlink in the coming weeks when I'm back from vacation. From there, I'll have to start working on how it will be molded. I actually have zero experience with making molds or casting but I've been watching tutorials and it looks like something I can handle.

Haha that was exactly my thoughts! This will be epic

Thank you, though I'd be interested in getting two of those tri screws for mine.
Also if you ever plan to make a resin casting I'd probably be interested as I do not want to put mine in a jedi pouch and have it wear off/ damaged.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back