Marvel Legends Series Iron Man helmet respray. Battle damaged

itsgreg

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Painted this up yesterday. Thought the helmet was pretty good & couldn't do too much to improve it so I thought I'd go the other way!
ae0394807a7c52a4c6ae6c76b76c9bf5.jpg
2ae301b9d2d346a94d5a2f0022829708.jpg
368d7cbc3e25ecac325bb5f5b523c1fd.jpg
6ffbc7bcc000ad5888a56753d2e32c25.jpg
a9e904fed90ea9e845017890aeeeb027.jpg
c4f72d42980823c99c6f61ee35fc94f4.jpg
ed22e3d3f51f53d533640a9cae48521c.jpg
38d9e41de535fe5d08399d1da416ea7d.jpg

Last edited:
Tremendous repaint. It gives the piece a completely new dimension. :thumbsup

Thanks! I was going to dremel in some scars for a bit of depth but I didn't want to spend more than a couple of hours on it plus I don't think it needs it.

really great work here, the repaint looks amazing! :)

Im quite interested in your painting techniques since I found it extremely difficult to paint my Iron Man suit in a realistic way.

Would be great if you could share some infos.

thanks,

Cri7e

really great work here, the repaint looks amazing! :)

Im quite interested in your painting techniques since I found it extremely difficult to paint my Iron Man suit in a realistic way.

Would be great if you could share some infos.

thanks,

Cri7e

Thanks
I got lucky painting this as the red on the helmet already had a silver base coat (great for making red pop & saving paint) so I could do the small chips by carefully scraping the paint back. However I'll give some pointers for painting from scratch.
So start off by spraying it silver.
Then use either a masking fluid (I prefer humbrol) or use salt masking (works well but I'm too impatient to wait for it to dry) to dab where you want small chips (less is more, it's easy to overdo this stage.
Once the masking fluid is dry you can paint on your red & gold.
For weathering you want to use a different paint type from whatever you used for the main paint (one that has a different thinning material) I'd use cellulose for the main paint & water based for the weathering so you can wipe away the waterbased with water or isopropyl without taking any of the main colours with it.
Mix up some thin black & start spraying it around edges/recesses to give definition & add depth. You want to build it up lightly, once again easy to overdo it.
Getting a brush with the thinner material for the weathering paint & lightly dragging it down the black will create streaks like you see on the front on my helmet.
For the worn paint rub & buff is great. Put a small amount on your finger, rub most of it off on a bit of cloth/kitchen roll then start rubbing your finger on where you want wear.
For the blast marks I sprayed on black then lightly brushed on some rub n buff with a fine brush.
Dabbing on some watery burnt sienna & yellow ochre then wiping most of it away is a good way of adding grime.
When you're happy with it, coat it in clear lacquer to protect the finish. Giving a dry coat of lacquer (low material /high pressure) to the blaster marks to kill the shine on those spots adds to the realism & adds depth but not totally necessary.
Hope this helps but it really just takes a bit of practice. I've been doing this for a living for 20 years & pretty much do it on autopilot so hope I haven't missed anything out! Best tip I can give is do less weathering than you think as it's the easiest bit to overdo & ruin the look of something. You can always add more later after living with it for a bit.

Godly work. I'd pay to have mine get the same treatment.
Cheers! To be honest it's not that difficult, only about 2 hours work tops. Rub n buff is your friend when it comes to weathering!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Fantastic work :)
Your posts here made me buy one. Turned up yesterday and I am seriously impressed by this for the money. The electronics are the iron icing on an iron cake.

About half an hours work and I'm well on the way to sorting mine out too even though I won't be going so far as your awesome effort.

Just wondering if anyone has info on the size, it seems, well, a little big even on my massive head.....
Even with that reservation I have already ordered a second one to paint up as a Mk II/war machine hybrid.

What with the black series and now this, hasbro has my love.
I heart hasbro.

Fantastic work :)
Your posts here made me buy one. Turned up yesterday and I am seriously impressed by this for the money. The electronics are the iron icing on an iron cake.

About half an hours work and I'm well on the way to sorting mine out too even though I won't be going so far as your awesome effort.

Just wondering if anyone has info on the size, it seems, well, a little big even on my massive head.....
Even with that reservation I have already ordered a second one to paint up as a Mk II/war machine hybrid.

What with the black series and now this, hasbro has my love.
I heart hasbro.
Sorry, only just saw this post! Yeah it is a bit big. Doesn't look too bad on me but I'm a pretty big guy.
Yours looks amazing! makes me wish I didn't go quite as heavy with the blaster marks..

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back