Harry Dean Stanton R.I.P.

He lived a long good life and appeared in a great many films. I never understood the glorification or admiration of him but I can give him that much.

He lived a long good life and appeared in a great many films. I never understood the glorification or admiration of him but I can give him that much.

I think all the glorification and admiration came from the fact that he was just phenomenally cool, which is a somewhat undefinable quality but instantly recognizable. Some people have it, some people don’t – and he definitely had it.

M

I suppose so for some but I never understood what was "cool" about him. He was a fine character actor, whatever that may mean, but beyond that, I don't know what he ever did that made him "cool".

I suppose so for some but I never understood what was "cool" about him. He was a fine character actor, whatever that may mean, but beyond that, I don't know what he ever did that made him "cool".

Like I said, it is in the eye of the beholder. But to me, many things, from the indefinable aura, to the IDGAFbrenegade attitude, to his quiet dignity and intellect, to his artistic spirit as reflected in the variety of his work not only in film but in other media, including music, to the longevity of his career, to the fact that he was still rocking out with his own band in public performances in his late 80s. Many of the same ways that Keith Richards is cool, whether you particularly like his music or not. But again, in the eye of the beholder and, in my opinion, a great loss.

M

From Godfather II to Red Dawn to Pretty in Pink to Hostages and so, so many more. Always enjoyed his performances. His was a life well lived. He definitely left his mark.

IMG_9075.PNG

Cheers Bud!

DAMN!!!!!!!!!! :(

Where to begin, I don't know but I can tell you this, if you run everything he has appeared in you will be watching his work for months

A true Legend who left us so many great performances

Gotta agree with PoopaPapaPalps on this one. My take exactly.

But perhaps I missed his best work. Just off the top of my head, I never saw Repo Man or Pretty in Pink.

Either way, kudos on such a prolific career doing what you loved, and Rest in Peace, Mr. Stanton.

The Wook

I can forgive you for Pretty in Pink but Repo Man?

Cult Classic and some say best movie from 1984.

Ya gotta watch it and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do

I skipped it all these years as I am not an Emilio Estevez fan. But, I've added it to my queue.

You are aware The Terminator came out in 1984, aren't you?

The Wook

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back