Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
Hmm. I like it more than I dislike it. But something I read long ago was for a theme to be memorable, it should be easily hummed or even sung by anyone of any talent, and is unique to that specific show. The moment you hear the first few notes it brings to mind that show. The only portion of this that can be hummed is the original TOS music. As a musician, the entire composition strikes me as something written to be performed, not remembered.

A Star Trek theme should evoke feelings of discovery and adventure, like TOS and TNG did so well.
This one sounds like it's trying too hard to be "epic". Too gloomy and serious. I don't like it.

I personally think that fandom feeling like it owns and gets to dictate on their franchise dejour makes for a lot of bad opinions on something that hasn't even come out yet. I want to give Discovery a shot even if a fair amount of details don't strike my fancy.

As I said several pages back, it's the "prime universe" promise that throws this off. It's just not true. As a Abrams/Kelvin-verse prequel, I think it looks about right. I'll give it a chance.

THAT said, CBS just announced there will be NO advance reviews. Press embargoes aren't always bad, some marketing plans work that way-- but if this is supposed to be the thing that gets people to buy into their streaming service, that's not a good sign at all.

The opening sounds like a pastiche, the midle bit sounds nothing like trek - too moody, dark and action/drama heavy - and the TOS fanfare is like "Better put this in to prove it's Trek"
It's a piece composed by numbers, copying and parodying, rather than invoking a sense of adventure. DS9 and Voyager didn't need to mimic TOS or TNG to create something that was Trek in feel, but still gave a sense of how the overall tone of each spin-off varied.
Now.. if you want a decent modern Trek theme, I've always liked the one from the lesser-known fan-production Intrepid
The audio is from the HQ version they released for download, and the visuals are fan made (but from episode footage)

Last edited by a moderator:
That phase is like The Cage phaser meets the classic TOS saber meets the industrial Trek V/IX phaser...

Translation: it's all the best. I love that thing.

I posted this but it got lost in the page cut...

Sometimes it's normal for a press embargo depending on the marketing plan. Like it's really common for movies trying to build hype. IT held back reviews until a day or two before. So it's not uncommon.

BUT, when you have a flagship product to sell a subscription service and you let no one have an advance reviews? That's a really bad idea and not a good sign. It means they think they'll get more faith/blind subscriptions with no advance reviews. Meaning, if reviews get out, they think it will do harm.

Probably a baseless rumor, but buried in this io9 article was this ditty:

Most conspicuous is that the design of everything in Discovery seems to echo more of what showed up in J.J. Abrams’ alternate universe Star Trek, and the weirdness to the timeline is so intense that there’s been a fairly reasonable rumor going around—one sent to me by a number of fans—that the show takes place in a third timeline, something halfway between the original Prime timeline and the Kelvin timeline of the reboot movies.

This rumor may or may not turn out to be true, but it’s symptomatic of the confusion surrounding Discovery that clouds it even more than the constant delays and production issues. In attempting to please both masters, it’s failing to entice either—not fans who have been dying to get Trek back with all its rich history and universe-building, and certainly not people who may have enjoyed the recent movies, but can only be intimidated by the massive, complicated lore of the original Trek canon.
(bold added for emphasis)

I'm pretty sure they decided to not over think it. Bryan Fuller wanted it to be Primeverse, but after he left I don't think that wish was respected, and they didn't want to cause waves by stating otherwise.

On another forum I got ripped by someone because I dared mention SJWs and hijacking Trek, I see the set up for this a mile a way.
To just go there meant I was some kind of Neanderthal apparently so to speak Nothing against Neanderthals of course. :p
And my point could not be processed further apparently, I became briefly a 1950s throwback to this person.
I became quite perturbed and I held my tongue and eventually the posts were removed to my surprise.

Just want those wimmen and colored folks as supporting cast at the comm and not the center seat you know!
Guess I watched Voyager because I just wanted to be outraged for seven years.

But it's all spilling out now if you ask me with false headlines like that.

See were diverse, were promoting women. blah blah blah like never before Oh did we mention
she was black, yeah she's black. Like us now? Sisko? Who?

Setting up a straw man to knock down for social justice.

Janeway was there TWENTY TWO YEARS AGO! Sisko was there 24 YEARS AGO! and they did so within that evil realm of confining Trek lore.
They're late to the party and no it's not a costume ball, or do they just enjoy wearing clown outfits?

Isn't it great that Star Trek will finally be diverse after all these years? Let's hear it for Star Trek: Diversity!

“We don’t want to make a big deal about it. Its just treated as perfectly normal - which it should be...”
Then quit patting yourselves on the back for it all over the media.

Jason Isaacs, who plays Discovery’s war-mongering Captain Gabriel Lorca...
Well it wouldn't be Starfleet without a war-mongering captain. What?

I played a bisexual high school lacrosse player involved in the beat-down of a high school boy. So much fun...”
Yeah, delightful :unsure

...Martin-Green admits her costume fits way too snugly, a common complaint among all previous female Trek cast.
And the male cast, tight costumes were universal. You might even say they were, diverse.

Maybe she means she's the first chronologically...

She would predate the captain of the USS Saratoga (ST IV) and Tryla Scott of the USS Renegade (TNG: "Conspiracy.")

:rolleyes

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back