Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

I had just started my D'Agostini subscription when the pre-order for this came out - which I jumped on, through The Gundam USA store.

Always wanted to get back into model building again. The D'Ago seemed a cool enough project to get me to start building the infrastructure toward the day I can relax and have time again for such pastimes...

But, I wonder, do I really need two? The D'Ago is a chunk of change in total. Will I be happy I did them both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
My 2 cents. If you can afford both then absolutely! I love my Deag Falcon. The sky is the limit on how accurate you can get it. When painted up nicely, its size is impressive and a thing of beauty. I couldn't pass up this the Bandai either. The first time EVER the 5ft Falcon has been accurately recreated. I love both the 32 inch and 5ft equally! The Deag is studio scale which is a perk and since I won't be getting a studio scale 5ft Falcon anytime soon the Bandai is the next best thing.

So does anyone know of a way to get one of these from Japan to the United States now? I'll buy one if I can find it.

But, I wonder, do I really need two? The D'Ago is a chunk of change in total. Will I be happy I did them both?

As for me, the Deagostini and the Bandai both provide unique "awe" for the Falcon, as well as different building enjoyment, so yes, I am happy building both. In some ways, they are complementary to each other. The Deagostini provides a studio-scale model of the 32inch prop. The size gives the model a very powerful "prop-ness." The Bandai, on the other hand, in comparison with the Deagostini model, made me realize that the 32inch prop, which does have a charm of its own, is inevitably a "reduced version" based on the original 5foot prop.

This will be a day long remembered.

It has seen the shipping of the Bandai 1:72 Falcon, and the release of Adywan's Empire Strikes Back: Revisited.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/star-wars-revisited-the-saga/esbr-is-now-available/1790581897624051/

Downloaded it last night and looked at a few random segments. Looks friggin' fantastic!

- - - Updated - - -

So does anyone know of a way to get one of these from Japan to the United States now? I'll buy one if I can find it.

Try

tokyomodeldetective.com

Last edited by a moderator:

How much are kidneys and testicles worth? I could probably part with one of them.....

Kidneys are much more valuable then Rocky Mountain Oysters.

That being said :facepalm, if you had started selling your plasma when this was announced, you might have enough cash already.

I'm surprised the greeblies on the rear deck are molded on. Very un-Bandai-like? As I've posted before, attaching all those was my favorite part of the FM build.

I'm surprised the greeblies on the rear deck are molded on. Very un-Bandai-like? As I've posted before, attaching all those was my favorite part of the FM build.

Theres less detail on the FM & it was tedious.....they can mould all that detail on the deck,...saves all the runner sprues,...& the cutting & cleaning,....saves us from doing that,.....but Bandai are going into more detail assemblies in other areas that are plain on the FM

J

Maybe I'm blind, but I don't see it on his website.

Most likely you'll have to message him privately. But he's charging $450 USD before shipping, and won't get any stock until October. At that point you'll be better off ordering from Amazon for $400 and get free shipping.

Ah, the newest pics of the parts revealed, that there also alternate parts for the people, that prefer glasses in the window-openings... :) (no, im not lamenting about the fact, that they are "one-pieces" instead of separated frame and window :-( )...

If you order from the Gundam USA Store they will begin shipping to US customers in October. I confirmed this with Gundam (they are the most reliable source, with great customer service and quick shipping). What day in October, I don't know, they just said they are getting their allocation in October and would begin shipping when they arrive. I pre-ordered when the kit was first announced. I don't know whether they are shipping on a first ordered, first shipped basis or not. I may have to invest in a case of Depends because I might wet my pants waiting for this jewel to arrive!:cry

Cultman is the cheapest.

And for the record, I couldn't stand the greeblies on the fine molds falcon.

But the WORST thing about the fine molds falcon? The feeling in my stomach when I opened the box and saw the mandibles

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Cultman is the cheapest.

"But the WORST thing about the fine molds falcon? The feeling in my stomach when I opened the box and saw the mandibles"

For that reason, I gave my 2 boxes away. Now happy for my DeAgostini. Only 10 issues left to finish this version. And I'm just saving for this new Bandai version.

Too bad it doesn't include reference photos of the filming model for painting/weathering.

I don't think we need to be too worried about that. There's no shortage of excellent photos available online, like https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=B9FE0AEBDC25FDBC&id=B9FE0AEBDC25FDBC!2981
If there's a centimeter of the ship anyone has a question about or needs to see, a quick post on one of these threads and I'm sure several people will come to the rescue.

Theres less detail on the FM & it was tedious.....they can mould all that detail on the deck,...saves all the runner sprues,...& the cutting & cleaning,....saves us from doing that,.....but Bandai are going into more detail assemblies in other areas that are plain on the FM

J

I know...it's a sickness, but....I like attaching greeblies! I could do it all day.

If I recall, the fine molds falcon was 900 pieces and this has 600.

I'll take it!

I think the Bandai is a nice compromise between having plenty to do but not so much it becomes a chore. On a slightly related note, this discussion brings back bad memories of getting the Cylon basestar model when I was in junior high. I still remember opening the box and laughing with my older brother about how the kit "assembly" involved mostly just putting the four saucer pieces together. That was the extreme in the opposite direction: no detail whatsoever to build.

I'm surprised the greeblies on the rear deck are molded on. Very un-Bandai-like?

There are actually plenty of parts to attach over the ones which are molded on. It was the Finemold's concept to replicate the "experience" of attaching all the greeblies to the "barebone" as was done when building the filming miniature. Bandai's approach is more technical and classic, so to say, and separates the parts to optimize the accuracy of the "mold," while challenging to simplify the assembly where ever technically possible without sacrificing the mold accuracy. Their difference in approach is apparent in the hull panels where Bandai have separated to pursue the crispness of the mold, while Finemold molded them in one piece.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back