Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

I've never used it, but it's the paint recommended by Steve Dymszo & DeAgostini for the 32" replica build,....most reports say is it's too light for the 32", I usually mix my own Vallejo white & Deck Tan 50/50.....but for my DeAgo I've ordered the Archive X 'Grime' from Guy

I know he will have the perfect shade for the Bandai 72

Yeah. If Mr Dymszo got a cut from every can of AS20 sold to buy a Falcon, he'd be a millionaire. :)

That custom paint from Archive X looks intriguing, but I'm really apprehensive about using anything oil-based. Yes, such paints evaporate quickly and often leave a very fine finish, but I'd be really leery about relying entirely on a solid primer coat to protect the Bandai plastics from cracking. It's one thing for a cheap "Vehicle" palm model; it's another thing for the ludicrously expensive Bandai 72!

Yeah. If Mr Dymszo got a cut from every can of AS20 sold to buy a Falcon, he'd be a millionaire. :)

That custom paint from Archive X looks intriguing, but I'm really apprehensive about using anything oil-based. Yes, such paints evaporate quickly and often leave a very fine finish, but I'd be really leery about relying entirely on a solid primer coat to protect the Bandai plastics from cracking. It's one thing for a cheap "Vehicle" palm model; it's another thing for the ludicrously expensive Bandai 72!

Guy is going to test it on Bandai kits,....as will I......I really am not worried

J

For me, there's a risk of overthinking this paint stuff. I could use paint from the exact same cans ILM used in 1976 to paint the original (if some magically showed up still usable) and how it looked would still depend heavily on the lighting where I display it, my subsequent weathering efforts, etc. What I know for sure at this point is that this Falcon (as opposed to my Fine Molds version) will start out close to white as a base. The magic will be in what happens after that.

When I'm done, I hope to have this.
1979mpc falcon boxlid.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I need advise.

I have the Bandai 1/72 MF on order with GundamUSA. It occurs to me that I should learn how to build and paint models again after my 40 year long hiatus. And I should experiment using relatively inexpensive model(s) constructed using similar materials and methods.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

@Fusion, I would buy one of Bandai's X-Wings 1/72, that way you'll get the feel for the clever way these kits are constructed,....(they push & snap together like lego),....& practice your painting,..& at the end of it you will have an X-Wing in scale with your Falcon

banswxwing101.jpg

J

I need advise.

I have the Bandai 1/72 MF on order with GundamUSA. It occurs to me that I should learn how to build and paint models again after my 40 year long hiatus. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I second Jaitea's suggestion. In fact, try any smaller Bandai Star Wars kit. If you've been out of modelmaking for 40 years, they're nothing like the kits you remember. J is correct -- they build like Legos. Actually, better than Legos because once together there's rarely a seam to see. The only difficult thing about them is the internal engineering of the pieces makes it a challenge to add custom lighting or modifications. Luckily, most of the time mods aren't needed. These kits are the first Star Wars kits that look great (and accurate) out of the box. The only wrinkle is that Bandai's plastic doesn't always react well to solvent-based paints and washes. Stick to water-based primers and paints and you won't have any problems or else follow other builds carefully to see what the masters are doing.

Hmmm. I bought some AS-20 a while ago as it seemed to be the thing that all the kids were doing. But having used it on another model, I'm not sure I really want to use it on my Falcons. It feels too dark and too tan-coloured!

For one thing, I prefer the look of the light coloured Falcon from the ANH effects shots. The 32" definitely has rougher and less refined paintwork, especially the use of bright yellow, and I don't want to go for that look. For another, colours scale - smaller models should have less colour saturation and contrast. That's why I'm toying with dropping the AS-20 and just mixing and airbrushing acrylics. But then you lose the advantage of a more impermeable base layer. Hmmmm...
AS-20 is definately not too dark. If anything it's too light.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Right, but once you weather the AS-20, as the Falcon is, it's toned down a lot.

SB
Yeah, I primed in black and then used AS-20 (I vented it so I could use an airbrush) and it was a cool white colour. Then the weathering brought it to a perfect ANH falcon colour

I'm just worried that the Bandai 1:72 is going to seem anti-climactic when it's all done...

Not me. I'm looking forward to closing the modeling book on the ANH Falcon dream. I've been chasing this tiger (er... Falcon) for 40 years. Through multiple MPC disasters, the cutaway fiasco, a scratch-built failure, the Fine Molds major resculpt, and even the Hasbro mystery plastic conundrum... I've just wanted a model of the ship I saw and fell in love with in 1977. This will be that model. I'm going to take my time, do it right, savor every moment, and then display it next to my 3D TV until the kids come to put me in a home (and even then, it's coming with me). Next year, I'm building a 2001 Discovery and chipping away at my backlog of Bandai and stash kits. I've got plenty to do, but the only tears I'll be shedding when this Falcon is done are tears of relief.

Last edited:

How about the alcoholic thinner used in and with the TAMIYA-Acrylics? Is the Bandai-plastic-material compatible with them?

Not me. I'm looking forward to closing the modeling book on the ANH Falcon dream. I've been chasing this tiger (er... Falcon) for 40 years. Through multiple MPC disasters, the cutaway fiasco, a scratch-built failure, the Fine Molds major resculpt, and even the Hasbro mystery plastic conundrum... I've just wanted a model of the ship I saw and fell in love with in 1977. This will be that model. I'm going to take my time, do it right, savor every moment, and then display it next to my 3D TV until the kids come to put me in a home (and even then, it's coming with me). Next year, I'm building a 2001 Discovery and chipping away at my backlog of Bandai and stash kits. I've got plenty to do, but the only tears I'll be shedding when this Falcon is done are tears of relief.
"mystery plastic conundrum" LMAO! You are never done my friend. There will be something else that comes along. There always is.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

When my wife gave her blessing for me to buy this, it was unstated, but heavily implied, that any further Falcon purchases were grounds for divorce. :$

Indeed. I think I have to choose between the DeAgostini and Bandai 1:72 models. The Bandai is vastly superior and plays into my childhood memories better. But the DeAgostini is a crappier kit and therefore more fun to modify and improve. But I don't really need both!

I'm gonna sell my DeAgo when I'm finished.....I don't think I'll look at her again when I have my hands on the Bandai

J

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back