Alien / Nostromo Uniforms

So now I embark on the dyeing process! Given the colour (its as accurate as I could get on my camera), what kind of proportions of grey to blue dye would you all recommend? And also (This probably is a silly question) should I stitch up the hole in the arm before or after dyeing, and if before, does the thread have to be a shade darker/lighter due to different amounts of penetration into the fabric?

Do you need to sew the sleeve? Will the lacing not cover it? If not I would sew it first and then if it ends up going weird after dying, unpick it and try to find some thread closer to the final colour.

I'm about to dye mine soon. I think I'm going to go for 3 parts pearl grey to 1 part lilac Procion dye as has been suggested earlier in this thread. Just glued the first arm of lacing together this evening after being crazy busy for the last month or so. Now need to get some foliage green thread to stitch it all together.

Hi all! I saw this thread and i am looking to make a repro Dallas jacket from the movie Alien for Comic-Con when its hits Montreal...I've been looking for the RAF MK 3 jacket for some time (size 8) but i cant seem to find anything. Does anybody know where I can acquire one ( i tried ebay, not much selection)? like from a website or surplus store for a decent and not over expensive price?
Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion! they don't have the size im looking for and for the ones that are my size they are super expensive...any other suggestions, websites/army surplus sites?

Thought I'd share some pics of my finished shirt. I made the whole thing from scratch, so I could use the fabric I wanted. First time I made a shirt from scratch, so I'm pretty pleased with how it came out. It looks white in the pictures, but it's really a creamy off-white color. I tried to warm up one of the pictures to give a better idea. I hand-embroidered the wings. They aren't perfect, but I kind of like the imperfections. I'll be making the pants from scratch next. I feel like they will be the biggest challenge yet.
2015-06-23 21.43.28.jpg20150623_213049.jpg20150623_213113.jpg

Really nice job on these! I like the fabric. And the wings look used as well. How does it look on? Can't wait to see the pants.

Hi all! I saw this thread and i am looking to make a repro Dallas jacket from the movie Alien for Comic-Con when its hits Montreal...I've been looking for the RAF MK 3 jacket for some time (size 8) but i cant seem to find anything. Does anybody know where I can acquire one ( i tried ebay, not much selection)? like from a website or surplus store for a decent and not over expensive price?
Thanks
I built one. The jacket your looking for is VERY hard to find if your going for the EXACT color. MK 3 RAF Cold Weather Jacket (Your actually looking for the Marine version as it is the light gray color)

Ebay in the UK is the only place that lists these with any frequency. Just be patient and snag one. I got lucky and scored a size 8, Never worn, Marine version made in 2008 (Puffy pen holders, this one does NOT have black buttons..too bad that's an ULTRA rare jacket or custom, most have green like mine). Be prepared to spend at least $60 USD along with a $20+ USD shipping cost if going to the USA.

Because I have little to no sewing skills I had to piece mine out to Randy (SG-RB) in San Diego for the arm lacing and the front pockets (He swears he'll never do that again, but he did such an awesome job! I'm actually thinking about begging him to do my Nostromo pants and shirt...but that's another story. hehehehe) I got my patches to be as official looking as possible from Merliner who had them custom made screen accurate as possible. Then I got the back lettering from Interceptor6 in which you have to match the color by mixing some paints with the color sample. Lacing is available at: paracordgalaxy I suggest the 1.8mm as other paracords can be too thick looking they come in all sorts of colors and is inexpensive. The piping is white from a local craft store and dyed using hot pink dye for a VERY short amount of time (took 3 tries to get it the right "anti-Barbie" color). I must have looked at these threads a million times as a reference.

Take all that and I hired a seamstress to put it all together, one that knows costuming on a larger scale (sewingbysylvia.com)

Let me know if you have any questions, I'll try and help. The guys here are a GREAT resource as most have done work. Some have even touched and examined the jackets that were on the film set. The color samples can be found in this thread somewhere (man, it got huge!) I'm currently working on my Kane jacket so I'm still in the loop sorta. BTW total jacket cost for a Dallas ran me: $500-ish, but I put in very minimal labor as stated I do not sew at all. I am however eternally thankful for the support I got here getting my dream project done.

Good Luck!

Bring on the new Alien film! I'm so ready!

gavlsPO.jpg

Last edited:
I built one. The jacket your looking for is VERY hard to find if your going for the EXACT color. MK 3 RAF Cold Weather Jacket (Your actually looking for the Marine version as it is the light gray color)

Ebay in the UK is the only place that lists these with any frequency. Just be patient and snag one. I got lucky and scored a size 8, Never worn, Marine version made in 2008 (Puffy pen holders, this one does NOT have black buttons..too bad that's an ULTRA rare jacket or custom, most have green like mine). Be prepared to spend at least $60 USD along with a $20+ USD shipping cost if going to the USA.

Because I have little to no sewing skills I had to piece mine out to Randy (SG-RB) in San Diego for the arm lacing and the front pockets (He swears he'll never do that again, but he did such an awesome job! I'm actually thinking about begging him to do my Nostromo pants and shirt...but that's another story. hehehehe) I got my patches to be as official looking as possible from Merliner who had them custom made screen accurate as possible. Then I got the back lettering from Interceptor6 in which you have to match the color by mixing some paints with the color sample. Lacing is available at: paracordgalaxy I suggest the 1.8mm as other paracords can be too thick looking they come in all sorts of colors and is inexpensive. The piping is white from a local craft store and dyed using hot pink dye for a VERY short amount of time (took 3 tries to get it the right "anti-Barbie" color). I must have looked at these threads a million times as a reference.

Take all that and I hired a seamstress to put it all together, one that knows costuming on a larger scale (sewingbysylvia.com)

Let me know if you have any questions, I'll try and help. The guys here are a GREAT resource as most have done work. Some have even touched and examined the jackets that were on the film set. The color samples can be found in this thread somewhere (man, it got huge!) I'm currently working on my Kane jacket so I'm still in the loop sorta. BTW total jacket cost for a Dallas ran me: $500-ish, but I put in very minimal labor as stated I do not sew at all. I am however eternally thankful for the support I got here getting my dream project done.

Good Luck!

Bring on the new Alien film! I'm so ready!

View attachment 500690

Ya I just snagged a jacket off of Ebay on Saturday its a Mk3 size 6 (from what i know size 6 is like a size 8 but shorter cut) for something like 92$. Do you know what the dye is to get it screen accurate, mine is an OD color and where do I get the NOSTROMO back jacket lettering from again and what is the lettering type and its font? I already bought all the patches needed off of ebay, this will be a starter jacket just to see how it goes. I may cut some corners at first but i will finish it as best as i can eventually, Thanks again for your help!

Hello, I've been reading and stalking this thread for quite a while now. Looking for a bit of advice and I thought this would be a good place to go.

I've been working on Ripley's flight suit recently and I had dyeing trouble towards the end. My suit currently looks like this:

IMG_5435.JPG

(Perhaps not as dark but certainly still dark navy, like a denim jacket)

It was originally khaki so took the blue grey dye far too well and became too dark in the process. Have already done one wash but dye seems quite permanent.
I'm thinking of using Rit Dye color remover, to gradually strip dye off so that it becomes more faded. Or if it all goes to pot, just remove the dye completely and redye following Rit's 'Country Blue' instructions.

Any suggestions? Or confirmation that Rit's Country Blue is a similar grey navy to Ripley's suit?

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_5550.JPG
    IMG_5550.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 172
Ya I just snagged a jacket off of Ebay on Saturday its a Mk3 size 6 (from what i know size 6 is like a size 8 but shorter cut) for something like 92$. Do you know what the dye is to get it screen accurate, mine is an OD color and where do I get the NOSTROMO back jacket lettering from again and what is the lettering type and its font? I already bought all the patches needed off of ebay, this will be a starter jacket just to see how it goes. I may cut some corners at first but i will finish it as best as i can eventually, Thanks again for your help!
The sizes are not just shorter the chest is different as is sleeve length. I'm only 5'9" and weigh about 180 lbs. or so. A size 8 fits, my size 7 is cutting it close! I didn't dye my Dallas jacket as the Royal Marines color is perfect gray. My Kane jacket I wont dye because of reports that the colors simply will not stay.

Finally finished my pants, and now my outfit is complete. I am pleased with the results. I estimated around $680 in materials and 156 hours of work all together. Here are some pics. The colors look much better in person - my smartphone is not too smart that way. :p The pants and shirt are a light cream color. I tried to warm up the pics with mixed results. I'm looking forward to wearing this to DragonCon this year. Thanks to all the helpful tips and insight all you guys provided in this thread!
20150719_205139.jpg20150720_204715.jpg20150720_205509.jpg20150720_205838.jpg20150720_210042.jpg

The sizes are not just shorter the chest is different as is sleeve length. I'm only 5'9" and weigh about 180 lbs. or so. A size 8 fits, my size 7 is cutting it close! I didn't dye my Dallas jacket as the Royal Marines color is perfect gray. My Kane jacket I wont dye because of reports that the colors simply will not stay.
From what the seller told me, the sizes on the jacket are meant if you have heavy clothing underneath the jacket to help insulate it. I made my own measurements based on my size and height and although the jacket may be a bit short (going up to my waist) the sleeve length should work and so should the chest size...I'm hoping for the best, the jacket comes in this week.

Really nice job on the entire kit. Makes me want to start on mine as well.

Finally finished my pants, and now my outfit is complete. I am pleased with the results. I estimated around $680 in materials and 156 hours of work all together. Here are some pics. The colors look much better in person - my smartphone is not too smart that way. [emoji14] The pants and shirt are a light cream color. I tried to warm up the pics with mixed results. I'm looking forward to wearing this to DragonCon this year. Thanks to all the helpful tips and insight all you guys provided in this thread!

Very good costume there John...I would've preferred that the paracord be placed on top of the sleeves, just under the patch (careful in an escalator;)). Pro-Job!

Very good costume there John...I would've preferred that the paracord be placed on top of the sleeves, just under the patch (careful in an escalator;)). Pro-Job!
@joberg - thanks! And yeah, I'm thinking about maybe tying up the cords while walking around.- I was just trying to be screen accurate. They actually do exit at the top of the sleeves and then hang all the way down. Not sure why they left them dangling that far.

@joberg - thanks! And yeah, I'm thinking about maybe tying up the cords while walking around.- I was just trying to be screen accurate. They actually do exit at the top of the sleeves and then hang all the way down. Not sure why they left them dangling that far.
It's funny, I see that Dallas had ties on both sleeve end laces and so does Kane. I saw where Dallas' front laces are dangling almost half way down his leg. (When the crew is trying to decipher the warning transmission initially in a wide shot of him leaning on a console and again at the landing decision) However, crawling through the vents the front laces are significantly shorter, probably for safety reasons. Flamethrower and tight spaces.

Depends on which scene...

j4ji3MX.jpgFdsw3el.jpgHe418W7.jpg7XMtfu8.jpg

Link to Photos: http://imgur.com/1MhMcmY,j4ji3MX,Fdsw3el,He418W7,dpILlTF,7XMtfu8#0

Last edited:
Finally finished my pants, and now my outfit is complete. I am pleased with the results. I estimated around $680 in materials and 156 hours of work all together. Here are some pics. The colors look much better in person - my smartphone is not too smart that way. :p The pants and shirt are a light cream color. I tried to warm up the pics with mixed results. I'm looking forward to wearing this to DragonCon this year. Thanks to all the helpful tips and insight all you guys provided in this thread!
View attachment 504020View attachment 504021View attachment 504022View attachment 504023View attachment 504024

Looking great! Looks like you chose to leave the Para emblem on the buckle (i have seen pictures where it looks like it has been removed and others where you can see something on the buckle, so either works for me!) what colour, and where did you get it from?, did you use for the lettering?

Looks like you chose to leave the Para emblem on the buckle (i have seen pictures where it looks like it has been removed and others where you can see something on the buckle, so either works for me!) what colour, and where did you get it from?, did you use for the lettering?

The only way I could see to remove the emblem on the buckle is grinding and polishing, which I wasn't up for, and since it's all silver, and since the WY logo is wings anyway, I decided to just leave it as is.

For the letter coloring on the jacket, I used standard acrylic paint,and I just mixed some cerulean blue, gray and a dash of white to get the shade I thought looked right. I don't really have a formula - I just went by my eye. I'm really not sure what medium others have used for the paint/dye, but I figured acrylic is forgiving to work with and should hold up well enough. I used an awesome stencil provided by Banzai88.

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back