Captain Jack Sparrow in the South Pacific [Pic Heavy]

Indy Magnoli

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Ever since I first put this outfit together, I've wanted to take some photos at the beach, but never had the time. International Talk Like A Pirate Day seemed like the perfect excuse so, with my intrepid photographer Nick K, we headed out to the beach in search of treasure:

-----

Captain Jack arrives on the beach, the waves lapping at his boots.

jackbeach1_zps2deccc30.jpg

Looking at his compass, he follows the path towards the treasure.

jackbeach2_zps9c9f4efb.jpg

After walking a few circles, Jack realizes the compass isn't helping.

jackbeach3_zpse92ec0b5.jpg

Surveying the beach, Jack finds a rock. Is it following him? Or is it a clue??

jackbeach5_zps71e073db.jpg

Only one way to find out...

jackbeach6_zps0d7bc943.jpg

Just a salty rock. So, resting on a piece of driftwood, Jack hopes that his tattered map will point the way.

jackbeach4_zps57bb9310.jpg

The map points to a climb up the cliff face...

jackbeach7_zps31ea6db3.jpg

Once at the top, Jack looks for the cave which houses the treasure.

jackbeach9_zpsc49f246e.jpg

These two rocks were once joined by a bridge of soil, forming what was known as "Waverly Cave", but wind, sea and time have eroded the span and collapsed the bridge.

jackbeach8_zps407b247a.jpg

With the treasure lost to the sea, all that is left is for Jack to leave his mark upon the rocks.

jackbeach11_zps88873718.jpg

And, of course... pose for the camera one last time.

jackbeach10_zps8a526d55.jpg

-----

A BIG thanks to Nick K for this amazing photoshoot!

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, although not particularly interesting, I added a video on YouTube of this outfit in motion:

I didn't realize Nick was taking the video, so I'm not really going overboard with the character.

This must have been so much fun! Wow! Fantastic photos! These would make for a very interesting photo-montage to frame up and display on a wall also! Great keepsake and memory of your shoot.

This is a great example of an immersive experience!

Thanks, although not particularly interesting, I added a video on YouTube of this outfit in motion:
Au contraire, there's something wonderful about the candid photography and sort of reserved, melancholic behavior. Much more interesting than those videos of dudes that come stumbling towards the camera, arms flailing, shouting about rum. I love it.

Very cool. Love the black sand beach, and cliffs; something we don't have in Florida. I need to find the time to do a photo shoot at the beach. I want to go to St. Augustine and get some pics in the fort Castillo de San Marcos as it is very similar to the fort in COTBP.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Lunaman!

jedichase, I LOVE St Augustine! The entire time I was there I couldn't help but wish I was in this costume. There are so many photo opportunities! And be sure to visit the Pirate Museum and say "Hi" to the recast Magnoli Copper Bones prop in the movie section! I should have asked for a discount! ;)

I forgot about the pirate museum. I live several hours away from St. Augustine, but I'm going to see if I have day available sometime soon to spend up there. If I can get a day, I'll make a set of shackles to wear in the fort. Spend some time at the fountain of youth. Go to the top of the lighthouse. Hang out in some of the old pubs. Crap, now I can't stop thinking about all of the possibilities to be had there.

OT, did Acme make your hat? I really like the look of your hat.

Don't forget, they've added an entire period "village" on one side of St. George St (Colonial Quarter | Experience Centuries of St. Augustine), so they'll be TONS of photo opportunities there.

The tricorn was made by Paul Ventress (I forget his board handle). The hat is tricky to get right (I see a lot of Jack's with lighter browns that just don't look right... and even darker ones that turn out almost black in photos)... Paul seems to have gotten it perfect.

O.k. Now i'm going to have to spend a week there. Hopefully, I can have at least a day open.

I agree that most hats are way off on the color. I've also noticed a lot of hats are very floppy, I know the hat isn't suppose to be very stiff, but some hats I've seen look like they can barely hold up their shape. I'll see if I can track down Paul.

Where in Florida are you guys from? I live in tampa. We have the Gasparilla parade every January. Largest pirate invasion in the world! Ive gotta start piecing together my Sparrow fit!

Hey Mr. Magnoli!!! Jack from Down Under!! The Rainbow Gypsy is scheduled to go under the knife to become the Black Pearl! You are one of us now and need to start providing reconnaissance (means watching) for her change!!!

LOVE this costume. I've see a lot of Jack costumes out there, but this one in particular is fantastic. The setting really put it all together! My favorite picture: Rock licking. YUM! (was that a rock you brought with you or one from the beach?)

(was that a rock you brought with you or one from the beach?)

Just found on the beach... a spur-of-the-moment idea. It was salty.

Funny thing is, there was this old guy watching me and must have thought I took a really keen interest in rocks, so he walked over to me and gave me a "special" rock he had found on the beach. Gave me a big story about it. I've still got that rock with my pirate stuff.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back