The Goldbergs

Same here. Show reminds me of my childhood. I missed the Star Wars episode last season and it has not replayed yet. I think Barry loves that rugby shirt. He has worn it in the beginning of every episode this season. :)

10171188_631459490257866_2628386187829032811_nSmall_zps15e5c2b1.jpg

Ok, which one of you made the Tauntaun costume?

Pops cracks me up.

10487594_651929851544163_1187000069976852695_nSmall_zpse43c1b7f.jpg

I take back what I said in a previous post. This show has really grown on me. I absolutely adore it. One of the few shows I actually make plans to watch.

I picked up season 1 on DVD for Black Friday. Already watched the first disc, and I just can't get enough. I remember watching the Goonies episode when it aired. Awesome.

Loved in this week's episode, a dish named after Barry; "Big Tasty Pork" LOL :lol

This has been on for a few weeks over here recently, fantastic show! Love it!! :thumbsup

I've seen about 10 episodes, all in Season 1. It's no Wonder Years, but then again, like @Vivek said, what is?

However, I enjoyed the eps I watched, for the most part. The mother stole the show, and Barry annoyed the hell out of me. But Adam is a good lead, and it's definitely an authentic show, @Sluis Van Shipyards, in that Adam is a child of that era, and as is seen in the show's credits, he was a total 80s geek, runnin' around the house with his camcorder!

The show takes place in my hometown, so I dig the local references. My favorite ep was called, "The Kremps". I was friends with the older Kremp boys as a kid. (There was no real-life Goldberg daughter--that was a contrivance for TV.) Adam Goldberg, who went to my high school, and Chad Kremp, his best friend, were a few years younger than me, so I didn't pay much attention to them at the time. You know how it is in high school. :lol

I'm glad to hear the show's still on. How many seasons are there now? I'll have to catch some more episodes.

The Wook

Last edited:
They're on season 4 now. The whole episode was how the special was so bad that Adam lost his childlike wonder and started looking at everything he loved with adult eyes. The ending got me. Like tears got me, and I never cry at anything.

They're on season 4 now. The whole episode was how the special was so bad that Adam lost his childlike wonder and started looking at everything he loved with adult eyes. The ending got me. Like tears got me, and I never cry at anything.

Cool, thanks. I'll try to find it online somewhere.

The show does compress the timeline of pop culture stuff--like the Holiday Special, in this instance--to fit the TV character Adam's childhood. I did notice that in a few episodes, that pop culture stuff was happening in the show's timeline, askew from when that stuff happened in the real-world timeline. But that's okay. It's a TV show. And the examples, at least the ones I saw, were not too far out of whack with reality's timeline.

The Wook

The show does compress the timeline of pop culture stuff--like the Holiday Special, in this instance--to fit the TV character Adam's childhood. I did notice that in a few episodes, that pop culture stuff was happening in the show's timeline, askew from when that stuff happened in the real-world timeline. But that's okay. It's a TV show. And the examples, at least the ones I saw, were not too far out of whack with reality's timeline.

The Wook

Yeah, I've noticed that too.

I think thats why they say "It was 1980-something..." instead of listing a definite date...it allows them to basically just have Adam as a "Child of The 80s" while disregarding WHICH part of the 80s.

The Wook

Adam buys a "black market" vhs of the Holiday special (drug deal style), the guy selling (Johnny Atkins) mentions how it had never been aired since 1978. This particular episode takes place sometime after 1986 since his pop-pop takes him to see Howard the Duck to help get his "childhood wonder" back. How could it be bad, it's "George Lucas, written by the writer of Temple of Doom and has the girl from Back to the Future" :lol

I love hearing the local references as well. Like watching the Flyers on Prism, or hearing the Willow Grove mall mentioned

One of my coworkers is a relative of Adam's and Beverly Goldberg is very much like that. He mentioned at a recent funeral all he could hear was Beverly yapping away about my some Adam this and my son Adam that in the back the whole time

Also the Erica character is really an older brother Eric. Before they decided the series would be based more directly on Adam's family they had already cast and {shot a pilot?) with a female sibling and just went with it

Also, if you notice in hos room he has the "Revenge of the Jedi" poster. I thought that was a pretty cool nod to geekdom

Adam buys a "black market" vhs of the Holiday special (drug deal style), the guy selling (Johnny Atkins) mentions how it had never been aired since 1978. This particular episode takes place sometime after 1986 since his pop-pop takes him to see Howard the Duck to help get his "childhood wonder" back. How could it be bad, it's "George Lucas, written by the writer of Temple of Doom and has the girl from Back to the Future" :lol

I love hearing the local references as well. Like watching the Flyers on Prism, or hearing the Willow Grove mall mentioned

One of my coworkers is a relative of Adam's and Beverly Goldberg is very much like that. He mentioned at a recent funeral all he could hear was Beverly yapping away about my some Adam this and my son Adam that in the back the whole time

Also the Erica character is really an older brother Eric. Before they decided the series would be based more directly on Adam's family they had already cast and {shot a pilot?) with a female sibling and just went with it

Also, if you notice in hos room he has the "Revenge of the Jedi" poster. I thought that was a pretty cool nod to geekdom

Oh gotcha, that's cool. But, they still reference cultural stuff out of order. Which is no big deal, just pointing it out.

By the way, in my first post I meant to type that there was no real-life Goldberg daughter, and I mistakenly wrote "Kremp daughter".

A few other local references were Alverthorpe Park, and lots of Jenkintown references, which is where we all lived. For instance, Beverly shops at Jenkintown Market. There was no Jenkintown Market--we only had an Acme Supersaver...which actually was in the neighboring township of Abington--but still, hearing and seeing my hometown's name on TV is kinda cool. Also, one of the Goldberg's gets pulled over by a cop in a episode, and when the cop leans down to tell them why, you can see "Jenkintown Police" on his sleeve. Hah, never thought my tiny borough (1/2 mile in diameter and only 5k people) would get such wide exposure! I also like the Philly area references on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia!

The Wook

Another one of my favorite geekdom references was when the gym coach let Adam pick the game, any game, whatever game he wanted as a challenge.

He picked Dungeons and Dragons, Ghost Tower of Inverness module, tournament mode

I love Always Sunny In Philadelphia. Mac went to my high school, although he was class of 95, and I was class of 87 so we never crossed paths.

They filmed the high school reunion episode there (at least the outside only shots). The inside they used a different school because the Prep was "too nice" inside.

They do shoot a lot in the area for certain iconic things which I love. Although the actual bar exterior for Paddy's is actually somewhere in LA (they did do a good job of finding something that looks like it could be somewhere in the Northern Liberties area)

I grew up in Northeast Philly, went to High school at St Joe's Prep in North Philly, and then college at Tyler School of Art in Elkins Park, lived in Port Richmond for a few years, then moved to Warminster, and now Jamison.

Cool, my Mom went to Tyler.

As for IASIP, why do you suppose they say in the show that Paddy's is located in south Philly?

The Wook

I always assumed they were going for the Northern liberties area since there are a lot of "hipster" bars in that area, but again, that was just my assumption. I probably missed the mention of its actual location, but based on the looks of it, it could be in South Philly around the Oregon or Washington Ave area (based on all the warehouses)

Back to the Golberg's episode, the only thing I really remember from the Star Wars special other than how horrible it was and Chewie's family was that it had the mysterious new character, Boba Fett, which turned out to be Adam's "silver lining".

Between that and the mail in mail away Boba Fett figure from Kenner, Boba Fett was already like a totally cool bad-ass character before Empire even graced the screens

fett-offer-back.jpg

Of course when I got the figure, the rocket pack did not fire. Apparently they nixed that idea because of choking hazards (although I do have the original Battlestar Galactica Vipe and Raiders that have working missiles which were recalled later and changed to non-working ones)

boba-fett-paper-1.jpg

Last edited:
I don't watch this show, but for those who do, have they had an episode where they showed the gummy bear handlink from Quantum Leap yet?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back