Daft Punk Guy Helmet: Final p.16, TRON p.20

Re: Daft Punk Helmet Build

Maybe that´s the reason the price tag of 60K came up for the question of how much the originals were ? All the excess helmets ? ;)

Awesome work, unbelievably awesome. Really. Insane. :cry:cry:cry

Volpin, I see you're over on the the Daft Club now. I am surprised you made it out of there alive :D

Heh, they're not bad guys, just a bit young and inexperienced. Gotta start somewhere.

That said, I don't post all that often.

WOW! I just now read through this entire thread, Volpin, you did an incredible job! It sucks that you're having so many problems with platers. One thing you might want to try is getting a glossy black surface, "chroming" it yourself with Alclad II or Mirra Chrome or something similar, then for the gold finish seal it with Tamiya acrylic in clear amber. I tried this on a section of a C3PO helmet I had as a test, it looked pretty good, the acrylic didn't dull the chrome noticably. I just did kind of a quick test, I plan to strip it, get it glass smooth and try it on the whole helmet. With proper prep work on your helmet, it might produce a convincing gold finish, just an idea. ;) Best of all you wouldn't have to ship it somewhere to get it vac metalized. Again I'm stunned to watch this project evolve from a chunk of foam to a beautiful helmet with a machine like finish, incredible job!:thumbsup

Bill

Holy crap, an update!

No, this project has not been abandoned! Its not finished yet, but we're moving forward.

I've decided to employ a "shotgun" tactic with regard to chroming. I've taken all I've learned so far about the process and sent out three helmets to two different shops with very, very, very specific instructions on how to best handle them. If all goes well, ONE of the three will return intact, unwarped, and to my standards.

If by some freaking miracle I get all three back in good nick, then I'll make one for myself and sell the third, then go buy a lottery ticket because there's no way in hell I could possibly be that lucky.

In making the next round, I played around a bit with dyes and different resins. I used some spare Smooth-on Onyx for the middle helmet. While I like the color, the plastic itself is very, very brittle and doesn't take to drilling well. If you're using a bladed bit like most drill bits, you're going to get significant chipout. I don't think I'll be buying it again for a mold like these.

4128157689_a3e39b0e85_b.jpg

4128927506_3b816c4365_b.jpg

The visors are done, the wire dome is done, all the lighting is done and the control box is finished. Once I get a good chassis to install all of it into, things should start moving again. I really want this thing out the door - its taking up SO MUCH desk space!

dammit

Got the helmets back from the platers today. BEAUTIFUL chrome, except for one problem.

4269744300_9b3c509806_o.jpg

They're copper.

Compare with older versions:

4037444924_9239875251_o.jpg

Going back to the chromers tomorrow for a different clearcoat tinting. Really starting to hate this project.

How come they picked the wrong metal?... Do you need to pay for that mistake or are they going to give you a new plateing?

Ps The copper one could be made into a Steam (daft) Punk version of the band :)

man I would ask for a email pic of them before they ship next time..
I feel your pain bro

Ya know, copper isn't really that far off for a discovery helmet, if that was the look some one was going for:

daftpunk38.jpg

That being said, if you or your client does not want it, I'd be very interested.

IMO the Copper looks alot better. When they are side-by-side like that, the copper one looks golden and the other one a sickly yellow.

Ya know, copper isn't really that far off for a discovery helmet, if that was the look some one was going for:

daftpunk38.jpg

That being said, if you or your client does not want it, I'd be very interested.

You're right, but the color I'm shooting for is more from their Human After All helmets. This shade here:

3507835966_fc12bc3f98_o.png

Its nearly identical to this one (a warped version)

4036693567_5cc352ac2c_o.jpg

Since the tinting is just a transparent cant coat over the chrome base, these are not a loss. They're going back to the chromer to get a coat of yellow to hopefully even out the gold. Sorry, but I'm not tossing these just yet!

The copper color isn't as vibrant in the pic above (iPhone shot) as it is in real life. This thing looks like a bathroom fixture. That being said, I'm not 100% sold on the prior shade either. The yellow in the above pic is a bit green and pale. In the pic w/ two helmets, above, I prefer the one on the left. I think that a coat of yellow over the copper I have now should get me there... we'll see

The guys at the shop have has complaints about the shade of the gold they've been doing on other projects, and recently switched to a new system. Apparently past customers has complained that the gold looked like "cheap bowling trophies." I wish they had asked before changing the color, but no big deal. They're changing them to a more yellow hue at no charge.

More as it develops.

First off, great idea adding LEDs to the HAA helmet.

Picture-36.png

There are more pictures of Daft Punk gloves, shoes, and what looks like pants and under helmet masks by Mitch Feinberg (under Nonessentials).

Just saw this thread... what a gorgeous build!

Ironically, we just finished a Daft Punk leather jacket for someone:

daft-punk-jacket.jpg

(The collar was revised after taking this shot to make it more accurate). I wasn't planning on adding this to my site, but if anyone is interested, drop me a line.

Kind regards,
Magnoli

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back