Galen Erso's Message Prop?

There appears to be gaffers tape on the sides.
Possibly it wraps around the back holding the center piece in place.
I think what you might be seeing is left over texture from the print bed when it was 3d Printed and a little bit of glue. The chip is definitely not seated flat or flush within the housing, it's tilted up towards the bottom of the image so that it's almost even with the top of the housing.

Screen Shot 07-25-18 at 13.13 24.PNG

I found a better picture.
Smooth finish with Glue? on the edge.
It looks like it's falling apart and at an angle.
Also notice the space (crack) next to the chain plate.
View attachment 833012

bingo. Yeah it's multiple pieces and just hastily glued together. looks like the chip was too big for the housing so they just glued it at a slight slant to cram it in there.
Awesome find. So yeah after seeing this, I've adjusted the thickness of the chip and the side bars, as well as the aspect ratio of the back piece with the hole in it and I'm calling it done. Printing a sample now.
Also, did we decide gold traces? even though they look somewhat silverish in this photo?

OR....

are they off white?!?!?

I have a feeling it might be a very pale gold. I haven't seen Solo: a Star Wars story, yet. Any of you got other resource pics?

Yeah you're probably right. I have some different (more metalic / reflective) gold coming soon so we'll try that.
The only reason I'm now suggesting off white is that there is no variace in color throughout the whole thing to hint at any reflectiveness (is that a word?) compared to the beads in the chain which are clearly metalic. It's very hard to tell from one photo.

Great eye! Yeah I thought about all of those and haven't made a decision on it because now we're getting into the realm of idealism vs. screen acuracy in terms of shoddy craftsmanship of the original prop.
I assume by "CUT" you mean the side bars should be completely separate pieces and just glued onto the back piece. It's technically the same with the rectangular piece on top, as it's just glued in. We don't even know if there's another rectangular piece on the bottom, but I have it there just so it's symmetrrical. The same could then be said for the chip which is obviously a separate piece and shoddily glued in at an angle. I could technically do that (print it separately, cut out that back right corner, and glue it in crooked) if you guys want that, but I'm thinking I'd prefer to have accuracy in terms of measurements, details, and overall look, but not necessarily accuracy in terms of crooked / chipped pieces and misaligned / glued together pieces. Something like Luke's V2 saber is one thing, but this is just a little mini, side prop that doesn't get any attention, so I think an optimized version would serve it better.
So if we can find and agree on a happy middle ground while still keeping it really clean looking I think that's what I'd prefer to shoot for. I can "etch" those lines along the sidebars to simulate the look of separate pieces if you want. and I can even cut out that corner of the chip. But for the simplicity of the model and print, and since the whole thing is black, I'd like to print it as a single piece if possible. Maybe I'll post a vote on the interest list thread in the Project Runs section.

UGH!!! Now I'm looking at that higher rez photo and think it's completely off again LOL.

OK Tell me if I'm crazy. Is the whole thing SUPPOSED to be the same thickness and the chip is just misaligned? are the side bars actually the same thickness as the chip?
In the first photo @thawn_es posted, it looked like it was just a bad crop job, but with the newer clearer image it looks like these parts circled are the same thickness.
Untitled.jpg

Which makes me think it's SUPPOSED to look like this (all the same thickness)

Screen Shot 07-25-18 at 17.21 41.PNG

and the middle chip part just got glued in crooked, making it look like this.
Screen Shot 07-25-18 at 17.23 27.PNG

Last edited:
UGH!!! Now I'm looking at that higher rez photo and think it's completely off again LOL.

OK Tell me if I'm crazy. Is the whole thing SUPPOSED to be the same thickness and the chip is just misaligned? are the side bars actually the same thickness as the chip?
In the first photo @thawn_es posted, it looked like it was just a bad crop job, but with the newer clearer image it looks like these parts circled are the same thickness.
View attachment 833046

View attachment 833047

View attachment 833048
I’m afraid it apears to be so.... unless one of the sides is thicker than the other.

It's not. I ran geometry and correction on it. it's exactly like the second screenshot of my model where the chip is angled.

OK so I have the model nailed down now. I'm printing a single piece that is aligned and "ideal" and a two piece version with the chip separate.

I don't know if I'll offer that, unless a lot of people want to glue theirs in crooked.

Screen Shot 07-25-18 at 18.39 54.PNG

View attachment 833046

View attachment 833047

View attachment 833048

all the same thickness.
this pic of the prop was taken after the movie so parts may have been unglued or bent up...

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back