Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension “Movie Poster” Costume

The Searcher

Sr Member
Hello everyone!
Posting my first thread is definetly intimidating, so bear with me: I’m planning a costume build from the much-loved cult classic The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension. I will be specifically trying to replicate the titular character’s costume as seen on the original poster:
56F25BC2-9898-4499-8F61-9CA0DC546294.jpeg
Every since Ready Player one hit theaters (it’s okay: I read the book in 2011, but I’ll save talking about my opinion of both for the respective thread), I’ve gotten a ton of film/TV/music itches I have to scratch, and that’s one of the main reasons I finally joined: to itch the costuming/collecting scratch. Back to the subject matter, I’ve always loved this zany, non-sequitur movie and have decided to take hand at recreating the iconic look from the poster (because not only will I have a nice cult classic Peter Weller outfit, but I can also use it for one of many RP1 costumes I have planned). To start, I’ve acquired the “Team Banzai” pin/badge/whatever, which was actually given out as a pre-release item if I’m not mistaken:
92559C5B-7678-460A-A974-F921596ED8CA.jpeg
I’ll report my other findings as I go along.

This search is proving much harder than anticipated. I knew going in that it would not be easy finding clothes used in a movie as obscure as this, but just trying to find the tie has been a nightmare! For now I’m looking at this one, which is the closest one I’ve found (still not where I’d want it to be though):
BBDFDADB-D67B-4D9D-8E01-365FE11FB4E4.jpeg
The tie is available here: https://www.thetiebar.com/product/23018?ResultCount=2

Last edited:
There’s something about the suit that is just bonkers! I’ve brought some reference images:
20042CA6-FD79-425C-93D9-361601C4C860.jpeg2C7ADBA6-D38F-4438-95AA-88090DB0B79B.jpeg
The lapels are unusual for not appearing to be of the usual three types (notched, peaked, or shawled). Instead, they seem to have the break point diagonally upwards (when I refer to the break point, I’m talking about where the collar area separates from the main lapel area). This is even stranger when you look at the poster and see that the lapels there are very clearly notched:
D96CD41D-07C5-4D9B-8938-A359E7D68AD9.jpeg
I’ve begun to wonder if they are even the same suit, but the buttons, sleeve-to-wrist length, color, possible herringbone pattern, and pants seem to match up. It’s just those lapels that throw me off! Nonetheless, I will keep searching for answers (and similar suits) so if you guys also happen to have any info, feel free to chime in!

Last edited:
With all these dead ends I keep hitting with the clothes, I’ve decided to take a look at the belt, and it always seems to be hidden by the suit coat. The poster has the coat opened, but then the tie covers the buckle, which obstructs the view. So in all my searching, I’ve only been able to find one low-res reference image:
AE5D8376-0FC4-4894-9EDE-BA3D63BB9C81.jpeg
At least I have an idea about where this is going.

Last edited:
For thes shoes, things are a little up in the air: since you can’t see the shoes in the poster, does accuracy matter? Wether it does or not, I sought out reference for them:
B1BAAF77-CCDB-45D8-ADB0-66EE65489B62.jpegF7413BE1-6A7D-4C1F-AF81-0AC0651A26BB.jpeg
These seem to be either extremely close or identical to Ferris Bueller’s shoes (which I could use a pair of), which I think sways my decision towards finding the accurate shoes. I don’t think brown-soled white oxfords should be too hard to find.

Thankfully, the only prop needed for this costume is the leather briefcase. Yet it happens to be the one item I can’t seem to find any new reference for. There used to some good images of an identical one in the overthruster case thread, but the attachments no longer work. I know Mr Webber has some info on it, but his pm box appears to be full as of this writing,

Last edited:
Watch time! Here’s a reference photo:
0DBCBDA3-26DE-48EF-8038-BB2D92C74CA5.png
Another photo I posted earlier:
78E31E50-415E-4252-A636-8C027C963ACA.jpeg
I think it’s known fairly well that it’s an Omega Speedmaster. Based on the pics, it looks like the Apollo astronaut version. All that’s left is to find a watch and the funds for it.

I decided to re-examine the suit again and found some interesting details:
2A9EF28D-C0CD-4993-AE8E-EB9A6A213945.jpeg
If you look to the left shoulder (Buckaroo’s right), it almost looks like the lapels are notched and peaked at the same time! Looking at the opposite shoulder is where the collar pops, but looking closer shows a line that could be a peak in the notch, but it’s actually the seam for the collar. I’m finding this hunt to be somewhat exciting in finding different types of suits!

I talked to a seamstress about building the suit and shirt combo last year and she seemed confident that it wouldn't be too tricky depending how close I wanted to get to matching the exact plaid.

It's just such a cool look!

I also wouldn't mind getting the pink coat/shirt set too.
vlcsnap-2015-09-30-15h30m39s657.pngvlcsnap-2015-09-30-15h30m59s331.png

Well folks, I have some new observations on the suit:
4084A4D5-507C-4820-9E49-7E82F4BF25CC.jpg
I didn’t notice this earlier, but the lapels seem about normal width on the poster whereas those in the actual film are much wider. Another notable feature is the fact that the pants don’t match the jacket on the poster (but that may just be simulated shading on the artist’s part). I’m really starting to be sold on the “two suits” theory, but I can’t find any evidence of the poster suit. I can’t fathom how to make an “inbetweener” jacket without losing the resemblance to either jacket, so I’m concerned that if I just go for the poster’s suit, people will mentally compare it with the wide lapel version and perceive a lack of accuracy. I guess you could say I’m in a real watermelon.

Possibly the most ambiguous item in Buckaroo’s closet seems to be his belt:
7E64A7A6-FA22-4996-8F9C-010BEE845328.jpeg
All I can tell is that it’s black, tightened just about all they way, and somehow missing the prong! I mean, it’s just a poster, but it is not easy to have a functioning belt without a prong (I know that it’s not hidden by the tie because the end seems to be threaded through in the direction that would show the prong facing the visible opposite side of the buckle). Since the belt is nearly impossible to see and is barely detailed, I’ve decided to match the one seen in the final cut. After all, no one will notice, right? However, since I started this project, all I ave found for reference on the belt has been the low-res picture I posted earlier. If anyone has found a better reference image for Bucakroo’s belt, please post it or let me know! I’d really appreciate it!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back