Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

This. I'm also willing to help out as needed with re-shipping, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to the shop tomorrow to check out the bags. If they are good quality I will get one and send it off to Kristen. If she approves of the quality I will look into doing a bigger supply.

That's awesome. And of course, if there's anything we can do for you, let us know!

- - - Updated - - -

This thread has literally been a lifesaver! I can't thank you all enough!! <3 I do have a quick question: Several of you have posted questions about the sizing of the Po-Zu boots. To those who have ordered it, do any of you wear a US size 8.5 or 9? My measurements are saying I should wear 38, which is a US size 7. That can't be right! I've sent Po-Zu an email, but was wondering if you all had any input.

My measurements said anywhere from a US 6 to 10 based on Po-Zu's site, but I wear an 8-8.5 US, so I ordered a 39. Mine just shipped today, so I can let you know how they work when they get here. But several on the thread and elsewhere said they are pretty true to size? And I've heard, though didn't try it myself, that the Po-Zu customer service dept will help you with this and that they do a good job if you send them your measurements? Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all!

I've been a member here for a while but haven't really posted much in here, so I just wanted to say hi :) Everyone's builds look fantastic and the amount of fabric/materials research done in here is stellar!

I'm planning on Rey's 2nd costume and will be starting work on the staff soon. I saw there was a thread on RPF for that costume specifically, but I just had a question about the Po Zu boots for those of you that have purchased them: what are your thoughts on the sizing? I saw one person (I can't remember who because 53 pages of posts lol) said they ordered up in size to make sure they fit comfy with thicker socks, etc. How does it compare to what you would usually get? I'm usually an 8-8.5 in US sizing so I was wondering if anyone ordered the same size. Just debating if going up to a 9 US/40 EU is the way to go based on what other people bought, because they are an investment lol

EDIT: Didn't see your post until after I posted, jackwabbit, but thanks for posting info about the boots!

Last edited:
not sure if this is going to help or add fuel to the fire, but heres a display from the chinese theater in L.A. my wife realized she had similar (maybe the same) boots as Rey's display. I think she got them at Ross (maybe Marshall's) for like $20.
fr_176_size880.jpgfr_174_size880.jpg

I got my Po-Zu boots yesterday (ordered them on the 17th, so it took just a bit over 2 weeks) and they fit almost perfectly. My shoe size varies between a 9-10 (mainly because my feet are stupidly wide), so I decided to go with a 41 to be on the safe side. I may need to wear slightly thicker socks with them, but overall they fit really well!

not sure if this is going to help or add fuel to the fire, but heres a display from the chinese theater in L.A. my wife realized she had similar (maybe the same) boots as Rey's display. I think she got them at Ross (maybe Marshall's) for like $20.
View attachment 573700View attachment 573699

I think this may be a symptom of the sheer volume of Star Wars costume displays that are circulating everywhere all of a sudden...they are using whatever they can get their hands on in order to complete these displays. I believe it started with using all of the stunt and alternate pieces that the production company had on hand for each costume to make these all up....but now it's gone a step beyond.

those are NOT the PO-ZU boots. I know this because I have the PO-ZU boots and these are not those. The boots on the mannequin in these pics appear to be Uggs (or something similar) which were cut off and put on the display mannequin to try to complete the look. They are clearly knitted (which the PO-Zus are not) and the tops are frayed where they cut them. We can't see the sides to see if the ties are here, but I'd bet they aren't.

This makes it very hard to decipher what is screen accurate and what isn't. The boots are easy because a lot of us own them and can spot them. But other things (like the goggles) are not so easy. :-/

Also I can see that none of the fabrics appear to be the right thing either. the pants are far too baggy and look like cotton and the wrap dress appears to be bubble gauze instead of viscose.

As I've been saying, everyone seems to want to have a TFA display... did you say this was at Mann's Chinese Theatre? If so, it is likely Dawn Bright's Rey Costume. She is a 501st/Rebel Legion member who was picked to attend the premier there in her Kylo Ren costume, and she lent a few of her other costumes to the theatre to display.

****UPDATE****

If you look at the display plaque you can see the name DAWN BRIGHT on it. It is as I've said: this is NOT a screen used or accurate costume, but a fan costume display.

NOTHING against Dawn Bright.... she is a fantastic costumer! But just so everyone understands that this is NOT a screen used costume.

Last edited:
wrap.jpg

wrap2.jpg

So here is the final outcome of the Joann fabric we purchased for the wrap dress. It was originally a cream / tan color similar to the color of the form it's on. I dyed it with the RIT pearl grey and this is the result. Thx to everyone for the info and instructions on how to dye. I think it is a big improvement over what we used for Halloween and I'm happy with the color. Looks slightly lavender in the pics, but it's not that way at all in person.

Now it is obvious that the shirt is all wrong. We were originally looking at modifying it, but it might be best to just buy something closer. What are the shirt options for something readily available at retail?

Hmmm... I wish I could say that I've found something workable at retail but the truth is I haven't. I eventually gave in and bought the cotton hemp jersey knit fabric from Dharma (along with the viscose for the wrap dress) because I just hadn't had luck finding what i'd wanted.

You could likely use that top that you've got as a pattern, though. Buy the fabric from Dharma, take that shirt apart and use it as a template to create a new one and add the details that this one is missing: the Henley closure and the two mismatched short sleeves. :thumbsup

BTW.. the colour of the wrap dress looks fantastic! I'm going to have to Fountney Pleat and dye my wrap dress fabric very soon.... so it will be some RIT pearl grey for me as well. :p

Great thread! I'm currently putting together a Rey costume for my 8 year-old daughter.

Hey, Redwillow - do you have a Joanne's item/stock number for the fabric you used for the wrap?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not off hand, but I will look for it. The fabric was cheap, only about $8 for enough to do the dress, it's thin semi sheer, cream color, and it has those fine wrinkles in it already. It only took about 90 seconds in a diluted dye bath to get the color.

Last edited:
I got my Po-Zu boots yesterday (ordered them on the 17th, so it took just a bit over 2 weeks) and they fit almost perfectly. My shoe size varies between a 9-10 (mainly because my feet are stupidly wide), so I decided to go with a 41 to be on the safe side. I may need to wear slightly thicker socks with them, but overall they fit really well!

Good to know, thank you! I'm leaning towards the slightly bigger size, too. A little over 2 weeks for delivery doesn't seem too bad. I'm not on a tight deadline with this costume so I'd rather just take my time and do it right :)

Redwillow - Oooo! That wrap dress fabric looks really good! I'd be super curious as to the fabric as well (as that and the pant fabric is driving me CRAZY!!).

In other news, I got 7 inches of my (seriously unhealthy) hair chopped off today. I was having the worst time getting tangled up in my long hair trying to do Rey's hairstyle. Hopefully it'll be easier now with the shorter hair. And if it's too short, well...my hair will probably have grown out to the right length by the time I get around to finishing my costume. :p
12522966_1042449212474347_8986082793727217186_n.jpg

To those looking at the shoes from Khols. Be warned they have very little padding insole wise. I have been wearing mine to work in hopes to break them in. After an 8 hour shift on my feet they are sore as heck. With proper insoles they would be better also, the toes are narrow so if you have a wide toe area they may be tight.

To those looking at the shoes from Khols. Be warned they have very little padding insole wise. I have been wearing mine to work in hopes to break them in. After an 8 hour shift on my feet they are sore as heck. With proper insoles they would be better also, the toes are narrow so if you have a wide toe area they may be tight.

That was my first thought when I went back for them today -- definitely need to put some insoles in them.

BUT, as much as I want the Po-Zu ones, I just can't justify $200 for boots right now. (Especially if this is going to be the year I finally get a proper lightsaber.) Darn grownup responsibilities anyway! %-}

The good news is, when I went back to Kohl's today the Madden Girl Jackmen boots were on better sale, for $29.99 (i.e. half price). So if anyone has an eye on them, now is the time.

Currently considering the best way to selectively dye the tweed and the front faux suede pieces, but leave the heel piece and not stain the tan sole. I'll probably be getting into it later this week; will keep you all posted!

Another thought for those who can't justify the PoZu price, cover a similarly shaped boot with fabric. I had part of an old army blanket around and used it to cover some thrift-store boots using hot glue, and contact cement for the EVA foam soles. Sure they aren't perfect, but at 6 bucks, I don't really care!

IMG_1082.JPGIMG_1083.JPGIMG_1101.JPG

For the sole, I cut a sole-shaped piece of 1/2" EVA, with a slightly larger 1/4" layer on top (to give that slight overhang). Over that is a bit of cotton cord that I have yet to stain/paint. I need to pick up a better lacing for the back, but the green is just to show how it works.

IMG_1107.JPGIMG_1106.JPG

They still need painting and weathering, but here's how they look so far.

Redwillow - Oooo! That wrap dress fabric looks really good! I'd be super curious as to the fabric as well (as that and the pant fabric is driving me CRAZY!!).

In other news, I got 7 inches of my (seriously unhealthy) hair chopped off today. I was having the worst time getting tangled up in my long hair trying to do Rey's hairstyle. Hopefully it'll be easier now with the shorter hair. And if it's too short, well...my hair will probably have grown out to the right length by the time I get around to finishing my costume. :p
View attachment 573884
Super cute!

View attachment 573884

Love the cut. I think it will work.. Mine is about that length and I have no issue with doing the triple buns. And if it grows it will be fine

I think this may be a symptom of the sheer volume of Star Wars costume displays that are circulating everywhere all of a sudden...they are using whatever they can get their hands on in order to complete these displays. I believe it started with using all of the stunt and alternate pieces that the production company had on hand for each costume to make these all up....but now it's gone a step beyond.

This is confirmed, in my opinion. I heard back from my friend and she confirmed that most of the diplay pieces, have never been on set and were replicated with found objects. She did say that the PoZu boots are used across the board but because they're handled by different artists, the weathering will be slightly different to each piece. The goggles on display at Disney were made at Disney (as I'm sure is the case with many of the other exhibits) and have never been on set. Her understanding is that the actual hero costumes haven't ever left the studio other than to film on location, and she wasn't sure about the D23 and Celebration displays. I just had a friend see the exhibit in New York, and it's funny to sit and pick out the differences in the displays. :) I'll take her word on it and assume that armed with that knowledge, every display piece is going to be slightly different in the minute details. I still think the D23 and Celebration pieces are going to be the most accurate, because they were first out of the gate to promote the movie and probably have more items and alternate pieces than any others. Take this post with a grain of salt however, because she didn't actually touch the costumes or make any parts of them, but that is the unofficial information and I'm sticking to it.

Sleeves Update:
I did remake the arm sleeves, if anyone is interested in those. I got some adidas compression sleeves and used a cotton gauze self adhering bandage and weathered it with an airbrush and some sandpaper to rough it up, to create the kind of weird edges on it, then layered it over the sleeves to give it depth and prevent flesh showing through in places where it stretches (elbows, etc). On the original, I was using the cotton gauze but because it didn't stretch much and had no anchor on my arm, eventually I had to keep re wrapping it and adjusting it. I've worn this around the house tonight and it stays in place and looks exactly like the first set I made. I kind of scoffed at the use of the ACE bandage type fabrics at first, but after having used both in parades, events, and just around the house, the gauze method is far more practical. It is a cotton technically, so I'm going to stick with this method, and use the airbrush to replicate the colors of my first set. I'll update with some new pictures when they dry.

As I'm slightly new in this thread myself as far as speaking up and being active goes, I am quite astounded at the variety of methods and new postings of completed costumes. Everything looks AMAZING, and I keep finding myself remaking little pieces with information that others are adding. Very cool!! :-D

(Edit: As I'm sitting here finishing these up, I just have to say RIT dye goes through an airbrush smooth as a baby's butt. Something I've not thought of to try until now. Try it...you'lll liiiiike it!)

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back