The Martian Space Suit

The new app for "The Martian" (iPhone and Android) has some close-up shots of some of the equipment on the suit, but I haven't come across anything (yet) that I haven't seen here in detail... still have a bit more of it to play through.

I have studied the helmet while building my 3d model (my day job does both vacuum forming, vacuum casting and injection molding) so I can say with confidence that the helmet was mold cast(the details are too shape for vacuum forming). The 3d model built for the film was designed for 3d printing and machining metal parts.
Rendering-3.jpg
Vacuum casting is perfect for clear dome, it gives you that perfectly clear visor but it's an expensive process, you have to cut an steel two part mold similar to injection mold but without the core. It uses air pressure to expand the heated plastic to fill the mold. I think that process price tag is beyond us, unless some member has deep pockets or owns a machine shop.

I have studied the helmet while building my 3d model (my day job does both vacuum forming, vacuum casting and injection molding) so I can say with confidence that the helmet was mold cast(the details are too shape for vacuum forming). The 3d model built for the film was designed for 3d printing and machining metal parts.
View attachment 537689
Vacuum casting is perfect for clear dome, it gives you that perfectly clear visor but it's an expensive process, you have to cut an steel two part mold similar to injection mold but without the core. It uses air pressure to expand the heated plastic to fill the mold. I think that process price tag is beyond us, unless some member has deep pockets or owns a machine shop.

Wow, beautifully done Cap'n! Nice work.

Here is the webbing I picked up a few months ago:

It's foliage green military webbing. But after some wear it gets lighter and passes for more of a silvery gray color as you can see on the strap above.

Where you get you webbing, Jeremy? I like that split diagonal weave!

Inspired and informed by Frank Ippolito's post with photos from the Arclight Hollywood display, I made the 60 mile trip there today to see it in 3D. I also took a bunch of photos with my DSLR to try to get the decal details and any lettering that would be hard to catch during the day with all the reflected light off the display glass. Some of the photos look like duplicates in thumbnail form, but they are different focus points since I was at f4 and some were to ensure a clear shot from low shutter speed. The display limited how directly I could get photos of some parts. The helmet top only had a couple decals, but there is also some detail molded into it. Again the display and lighting limited how well I could reach it. It was too dark to get much of the inside of the helmet and I didn't think to use my iPhone's light to help illuminate it, but I was able to get some details of the LED lighting, including the manufacturer and type as indicated on the strips - litegear.com, Tungsten. I can really see why they used CGI visors though. That thing reflects everything and even if I had used my light, I doubt I could have gotten good photos. I didn't notice the outer shoe had more lettering molded into it next to the Ares III molding until I saw it on my computer, so I didn't get a good closeup view of it.
The NASA medallion on the rear appears to be brass on close inspection (from 6" away through the display glass).

Anybody know why there's Chinese characters sprinkled about on the decals?

These were uploaded at half size (10 MP) and I'm not sure what flickr did with that size, I just created an account for this. So if you need a tighter crop to read some small print, let me know.

Hope this helps some of you, this is beyond my budget and skill to join in on a build, so I look forward to seeing what the rest of you can do.

The suit is a real work of art with incredible weathering detail that just looks real from a couple year's worth of use.

Here's one detail shot for a teaser: IMG_7486.JPG

https://www.flickr.com/photos/154476314@N03/sets/72157702714810115

Last edited:
Beautiful! Huge thank you to everyone involved in these reference shots.

Here's the LED strip for the top inside of the helmet:

http://store.litegear.com/product_p/lrp-120-x1-tun.htm

Also I found this site that sells herringbone acrylic binding:

http://knitsewcraft.co.uk/onlinesho...rylic-Webbing-Twill-Blankets-Bag-Handles.html

This is in black, but could be painted. Only concern is it is 38mm wide. So apprx 1/4" thinner than our 45mm buckles. They offer 48mm tape but its not the right pattern.

@1stage the martian app?

do you mean the game?
http://mashable.com/2015/10/03/the-martian-game/#iBPUQquLYmqp

has anyone tried this? is it any good? Maybe good reference for the arm-computer graphics?

-mats

As much I love the book, movie, everything having to do with this story... the game bores the crap out of me. Maybe I haven't gotten into it.

Oh, and as much as I hesitate to reduce my own chances of winning, the Arclight website has a drawing for one of five replica helmets through the next few days. They are not hero helmets like what's on display, but are still really nice. I have three photos of the one on display in Hollywood for comparison.
Good luck, I know all of you will put it to good use if you win!

Oh, and as much as I hesitate to reduce my own chances of winning, the Arclight website has a drawing for one of five replica helmets through the next few days. They are not hero helmets like what's on display, but are still really nice. I have three photos of the one on display in Hollywood for comparison.
Good luck, I know all of you will put it to good use if you win!

Can't find it, is it a US only competition?

Last edited by a moderator:
Inspired and informed by Frank Ippolito's post with photos from the Arclight Hollywood display, I made the 60 mile trip there today to see it in 3D. I also took a bunch of photos with my DSLR to try to get the decal details and any lettering that would be hard to catch during the day with all the reflected light off the display glass. Some of the photos look like duplicates in thumbnail form, but they are different focus points since I was at f4 and some were to ensure a clear shot from low shutter speed. The display limited how directly I could get photos of some parts. The helmet top only had a couple decals, but there is also some detail molded into it. Again the display and lighting limited how well I could reach it. It was too dark to get much of the inside of the helmet and I didn't think to use my iPhone's light to help illuminate it, but I was able to get some details of the LED lighting, including the manufacturer and type as indicated on the strips - litegear.com, Tungsten. I can really see why they used CGI visors though. That thing reflects everything and even if I had used my light, I doubt I could have gotten good photos. I didn't notice the outer shoe had more lettering molded into it next to the Ares III molding until I saw it on my computer, so I didn't get a good closeup view of it.
The NASA medallion on the rear appears to be brass on close inspection (from 6" away through the display glass).

Anybody know why there's Chinese characters sprinkled about on the decals?

These were uploaded at half size (10 MP) and I'm not sure what flickr did with that size, I just created an account for this. So if you need a tighter crop to read some small print, let me know.

Hope this helps some of you, this is beyond my budget and skill to join in on a build, so I look forward to seeing what the rest of you can do.

The suit is a real work of art with incredible weathering detail that just looks real from a couple year's worth of use.

Here's one detail shot for a teaser: View attachment 537778

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136848099@N03/albums/72157659509132996

thanks for picking up the photos! I'm slammed at the shop and haven't had time to get back there to get more for everyone. yours are MUCH better than mine! CHEERS!

Attachments

• Butt.jpg
    Butt.jpg
    10.1 MB · Views: 349
  • 21825105780_62976f3893_o.jpg
    21825105780_62976f3893_o.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 246
Last edited by a moderator:
BTW Guys I have made direct contact with FBFX, and have already received some dimensions on the helmet, turns out that my numbers were very close, 1/4 inch off in one dimension, I have sent a list of dimension request. Hopefully I haven't stepped over the line and they will continue to help. Once I adjust my model with these numbers, we should be good to go for 3d printing.

Last edited:
Once I adjust my model with these numbers, we should be good to go for 3d printing.
That is really darn close. I can't wait to see it complete, I have been tuning up my printer all week, and ordering a few more parts to improve the quality just for this. Any idea how well it will split in to multiple pieces for printing? Only can print ~8x8x7, so it will take a bunch of pieces.

I'm almost certain it's a custom belt since it's using the same webbing.
I am somewhat happy to report that I was wrong, and Andreas Persson was correct. I really hoped it was out there somewhere, but at least I can stop searching now. FBFX has confirmed that the rest of the belt was custom made. Now we just have to find the materials used for it...I was really hoping for something that already existed. Couldn't be that easy though, now could it?

Custom belt...happy to admit that I was wrong and can stop researching now too. Other than the webbing, it looks like we are finished researching found parts? Except the Nautic plates and the valves on the front of the suit?

I still think the webbing across the arms and the back of the belt is some sort of paper or vinyl with a simple print on it glued over neoprene. I'll post some pictures when I get the chance.

Good to have the belt confirmed to be custom built but I've been trying to find the correct fabrics for it without any luck. I'm obviously not good at finding fabrics on the Internet :p

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back