Reblocking a Hat into an Indiana Jones Fedora

PhantomForge

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello everybody!
Although I am a mess in regards to how many unfinished projects I have going on right now, I'd eventually like to get to re-blocking a beaver hat into an Indiana Jones fedora. I'd like to start with some of your guys' thoughts on the plastic hat block (wooden is a bit too expensive) that I'm getting from hat shapers.
It's their "Straight Sided Dome" model except I'm getting it customized to 5 1/2 inches tall instead of 5 3/4.
Straight Side Dome2 (1).gif
What do you think?

I was one of the people who first contacted Hatshapers about their thermoformed blocks and a possible prospect of a block with a nice Indy shape. Even got a prototype of the "straight sided" block from them, shape didn't work out for some reason I don't remember - might have been that the plastic block was a little too flimsy to withstand the pulling of a thick fur felt. Later on, I believe someone else over at Club Obi Wan continued to develop a proper shape together with Hatshapers, don't know what happened with that. Been out of the Indygear loop for quite some time, I'm sure there are people over here who are more updated. Still, I'd say check with the guys over at Club Obi Wan - there's a lot of hat blocking expertise over there.

Last edited:
I was one of the people who first contacted Hatshapers about their thermoformed blocks and a possible prospect of a block with a nice Indy shape. Even got a prototype of the "straight sided" block from them, shape didn't work out for some reason I don't remember - might have been that the plastic block was a little too flimsy to withstand the pulling of a thick fur felt. Later on, I believe someone else over at Club Obi Wan continued to develop a proper shape together with Hatshapers, don't know what happened with that. Been out of the Indygear loop for quite some time, I'm sure there are people over here who are more updated. Still, I'd say check with the guys over at Club Obi Wan - there's a lot of hat blocking expertise over there.
Thanks for the advice about Club Obi Wan! Awesome forum, I'm now going to make a hat block from wood using a tutorial I found there.

Would it be better just to buy an accurate replica? although I totally get why you would want to do it yourself! Will be keeping a close watch on this thread! Good Luck!

Would it be better just to buy an accurate replica? although I totally get why you would want to do it yourself! Will be keeping a close watch on this thread! Good Luck!
Thanks, and
attachment.php
:lol
But really, I already have a beautiful Coyle's Raider Fedora, and I love it. If I had the money, I would totally buy an Adventurebilt or a Penman.
Nonetheless I still want to make one, something I've been trying to do since I was about 13.

Attachments

• DiscoveryPlus3.jpg
    DiscoveryPlus3.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,581
Village hat shop sells a ford fedora for about $40, akubra hats has a "adventurer" open crown hat that you have to shape for about $150 from David Morgan, I have owned several akubra hats and not only will they take a beating and still look great I have worn them often in the rain with no problems at all

Village hat shop sells a ford fedora for about $40, akubra hats has a "adventurer" open crown hat that you have to shape for about $150 from David Morgan, I have owned several akubra hats and not only will they take a beating and still look great I have worn them often in the rain with no problems at all
Thanks for the advice, but I already have a great hat, and I'm not looking to buy one I'me looking to make one :p

Post what you use for a form. I understand where you are coming from on doing it yourself. I repurposed an Urban Cowboy special (used cowboy hat with feather hatband from the 80's) trimmed the brim, and rebashed. I love it.

Could you reenforce the plastic dome with expanding plumbers foam?

I've changed my mind about the plastic dome.
After reading some great tutorials on COW, I've decided to make a wooden hat block.

So I'll be reshaping this beaver felt hat.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419730290.406192.jpg
It's the wrong color, so I'm also dyeing it.
Here it is in my sink; soaked, de-shaped and ready to be dyed.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419730413.457700.jpg

Dyeing went well... Except that it turned out some of the felt was weaker than the rest, and when I was getting the dye out, some holes developed.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419734007.204217.jpg
I don't think it can be fixed, so I'll just use this as a tester.
OR I could beat it up some more after it it's blocked (if the block works out) and make it into a streets of Cairo hat

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back