Nightmare Before Christmas Santa Jack

Redfrick

I'm working on this:
a3IFafG.jpg

Pretty simple to build, gonna make him 6-7ft tall the only problem is I am not sure how to make the bag. Well not make the bag exactly I can do that, I just don't know how to make the bag (I'm using large burlap bags) to be hard almost like plastic so i doesn't get soggy in the rain. I also want the bag to still look like a burlap bag with no visible hard shell coating. Is this possible?

You can make it out of Sunbrella (its what they make boat covers and awnings out of) or you could make it out of a burlap like material and coat it in NeverWet (a liquid repellent).

Hope one of those helps.

I'd go about making the bag shape out of a high density foam, could even attach it to wood on the bottom for some weight and sturdiness, then I'd use resin to attach the burlap to the bag shape. It'd be rigid, sturdy, the resin would soak into the burlap and harden it, I'm not sure how resin works on different foams, but brushing on coats at a time shouldn't cause enough heat to melt it.

I'd go about making the bag shape out of a high density foam, could even attach it to wood on the bottom for some weight and sturdiness, then I'd use resin to attach the burlap to the bag shape. It'd be rigid, sturdy, the resin would soak into the burlap and harden it, I'm not sure how resin works on different foams, but brushing on coats at a time shouldn't cause enough heat to melt it.

It does depend on what foam you are using though as to whether the foam will melt...just check it first!!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back