Short Boba Fett Costume for Halloween: 3D printing, vacuumforming, casting, & more!

shenphong

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
A few folks here have known that I am the current owner of the FP Fem Fett molds with the 3/4 size jetpack and have owned them for a few years now without doing much with them. Goal was to make a costume for my wife but sadly life got in the way and that got pushed back after a few moves. Finally, I got a good reason to yank the molds out and start producing something as well as changing and replacing a few things. I ended up getting these after someone picked them up for a Fem Fett build themselves and it not working out. Goal is to make a small Fett build for my sister who is 5 foot 1" in 2.5 weeks and an employee at a major video game company with a really large costume contest and prize. Started to pull some plastic and began converting one of the chest plates to a more "standard" Boba Fett chest plate for vacuum forming.

JzxmrwNh.jpg

wsZWECEh.jpg

While working on the chest pieces, I continued working on the ready plastic pieces. Sanding, trimming, and priming.
N9jXjTyh.jpg

A lot of foam, wood filler, bondo, styrene and cardboard and I started to get the new chest plates looking like how I wanted them.
7AvVXuch.jpg

ZXa6JTzh.jpg

Plaster and rubber and now I have my new vac form chest plate molds. Success on the first try, pulled in .125" HIPS, trimmed and sanded in the photo
hUZPcowh.jpg

bkzGBhkh.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Short Boba Fett Costume for Halloween

Painting...this is not a screen accurate paint job, but with the job of fabricating these and prepping my own costume for Halloween + a few other commissions within a span of 2 weeks, this will have to be close enough. I'll go back and improve on the paint job later on. Paint was done using Krylon spray cans suggested by members here(man I like these much better than rustoleum, such faster dry times).

aYi68Xlh.jpg

abOFHmAh.jpg

7oqBoc7h.jpg

aYpmhaUh.jpg

P05EPWTh.jpg

iEatxTxh.jpg

BKACeE7h.jpg

J2A4tKOh.jpg

I ended up mocking up some "shrunken" greeblies via fusion 360, extremely basic and very easy to use especially with the photos and models on this site used for references, thanks to folks like rafalfett and wizardoflight! It just looks better with scaled greeblies vs using full sized bits for the jetpack and knees.
AVqefP7h.jpg

The FP gauntlets did not come with a bottom piece which I will mock up, but the whipchord housing also was just a miniature ESB version. I thought I'd model up a ROTJ version that I'll release publicly though not sure I'll get it done in time for the costume build.

kvn7P9hh.jpg

mNtDuNyh.jpg

y90cVCVh.jpg

KBZHJe7h.jpg

Re: Short Boba Fett Costume for Halloween: 3D printing, vacuumforming, casting, & mor

I'm lucky enough that though I'm short on space where I currently live, I have a plethora of equipment at my disposal. One of those? A vinyl cutter. Opted to make my own paint decals, thanks to my wife as a graphic/visual designer for mocking these templates up then off to the cutter for paint templates. Shoulders first and chest coming very soon, a bit too clean at the moment but it works!

TxKtUXjh.jpg

TLcqxknh.jpg

rDwEPGHh.jpg

dZChNoTh.jpg

8PGgvVRh.jpg

Re: Short Boba Fett Costume for Halloween: 3D printing, vacuumforming, casting, & mor

Made some gauntlet top pulls, top is a bit sharper than the bottom gauntlet, my heating element is a bit weaker there...gotta fix that in the future. I still need to make new bottoms but may go with a very basic design for this costume since I really need to focus on my own build. But the tops are done and greeblies coming soon.

xFKxOQNh.jpg

Started working on the chest plates using krylon olive green and hunter green spray cans. Trimmed out the chest lights display, sadly all of my tools are at my main shop so made due with a dingy x-acto knife and sanding sticks. Should of gotten some more cutting discs for my dremel! Added some dents and dings with the sanding drum.

bu5wovvh.jpg

ruPVwWZh.jpg

2ehIkC5h.jpg

5v8xBCjh.jpg

1RstvDhh.mp4

For the flight suit, we picked up a size S rubies top gun costume that my wife is altering. Goal is to bleach it, color remove it and dye it gray. Even at size S, its far too big for my 5 ft 1" sister BUT that is going to be a big help. Will get some updated shots of it during the day, but we've successfully cut down the legs, reused that material for the sleeves of the flight suit and used some of the extra material for faux pouches on the leg.
RUxzM10l.jpg

Working on the jetpack, created a new mounting setup for the thruster and the main pack. Had my wife model it up per my measurements and it works! Uses a m5 bolt and you can use a nut with it or wingnut for attachment inside the pack. Insert the bolt, add glue/epoxy, place in the thruster, drill hole into the pack and install. yes I have the thruster bell reversed, drilled the wrong side but it works for the photo. yes I also have the wrong rotj color scheme for the pack, since most folks won't realize at my sister's company and I'm short on time, figured I'd go with the ESB paint vs ROTJ. ROTJ will come later but jeezes too much masking for now.

lSECfhZh.jpg

YJG9vgIh.jpg

jpV34Foh.jpg

Lvy74OAh.jpg

fl07vTuh.jpg

jS2zcswh.jpg

g4ASpArh.jpg

4oiYIeCh.jpg

blaster is a hasbro blaster. sanded all the text off of it, primed and painted with krylon flat black, then added acrylics to weather like the MR version I had before, just less markerish paintjob. Lights and sound still work!

V8OfSeqh.jpg

QWbrkhah.jpg

8nfaJvbh.jpg

VyajDljh.jpg

h6fewnhh.jpg

Custom flightsuit for my 5 foot 1 sister, wife converted a rubies top gun small mens costume into something close...hemmed the legs, used the extra material for the added shoulder sleeves and prepping for redying soon. Added a shot of the original to compare.
YN8BfXMh.jpg

1Ah7NJnh.jpg

jhFvINXh.jpg

RUxzM10h.jpg

Freaking awesome[emoji16][emoji16][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Amazing work so far! Really excited to see how this one turns out.

If I may ask, how did you achieve the chipped/dented paint look?

Excellent Work, Keep it up , We want to see it finished!!
AL

Got the armor mocked up on the flak vest, should be a good fit for her. Bad news is the polyester flight suit failed on the color removing journey. I used Rit Dye color remover but all it did was make it a lighter shade of green. 4 packets and then bleach later on and nothing...a bit too late to redo another suit or custom make one so sadly, the suit may be a different shade off, not like the folks at her company will notice, but disappointing. I'd like to at least try to get it a darker shade or gray/blue to contrast the armor instead of all green. Lesson learned, don't try to color strip a Rubies costume suit.
pHthSKPh.jpg

WdVAbKph.jpg

tTSGRN2h.jpg

DbWsxKoh.jpg

Moving on, I had a few folks message me about 3d printers and I've become a go to person on the subject for my local 501st garrison. I am still new to modeling but luckily most of the models are very simplistic for the Fett gear. I'm a huge advocate of Fusion 360 and Sketchup (though the older version is nicer) but I also really push Tinkercad, a browser based modeling program for folks who are new to it and want simple things made. First example, the buttons on the ROTJ flamethrower gauntlets. Modeled it up in tinkercad and took all of 10 minutes and a set of calipers. I'll be starting on the gauntlets more tomorrow and printing out the buttons to add on them. Fettpride never included the greeblies or molds for them so I'm starting from scratch on them, first simple version of the front calc. keypad and a new one I did today with notches and a slight detail at the edge though not noticeable at the scale. Also made a small dental expander that isn't 100% accurate but it works and is sized correctly for the gauntlet. Chest emblem paint templates are cut out and will start painting on them tomorrow. Flightsuit is leaving me down but definitely wont halt this build.

SGcuhZIh.jpg

7rrSuJ5h.jpg

p12btgth.jpg

SaFbIuxh.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Amazing work so far! Really excited to see how this one turns out.

If I may ask, how did you achieve the chipped/dented paint look?

Thanks! Dremel and sandpaper...putty to fill in and smooth if needed but basically just sanding away and smoothing out.

Adding a couple reference shots of the quick tinkercad project for the flamethrower buttons...anyone can do it!
x5HEIEtl.jpg

rkdy6lBl.jpg

SGcuhZIl.jpg

This so great.
Like you, all my time is put towards my loved ones costumes.
Im really impressed though.
I sure hope they all know how special you are.
Cant wait to see it all done.
Robert

BTW, gonna start a Boba for my nephew next year.
Any chance you have any extra pieces up for "trade"?
Mainly the jet pack and guantlets.
Thanks.

Update on the flightsuit. This is what it looks like after a wash and dry cycle...some color removed but not much. Going to try to dye it gray either way and see what I get. Scrap shot next to it for a comparison.
mWbBwgxh.jpg

Cleaning up the dental expanders, added a backing to them to print so I would not have to use any supports, just snap it off with a knife or scraper and you're good to go.
HwMExREh.jpg

okAzgPPh.jpg

I'm tired of sanding so thought I'd do a bit of acetone smoothing. Rocket went well, same with dental expander but I guess the keypad was still too soft...wrecked it and had to restart another. Using my fancy laboratory setup to cold acetone smooth the gauntlet pieces.
SzFxQxuh.jpg

ZFmfh4Yh.jpg

K9ADSmYh.jpg

pRxR4oOh.jpg

Here are some shots to compare a raw ABS print to an acetone smoothed version. Lost some sharpness but I'm fine with that with the time savings.

J14vCk7h.jpg

0alnXzsh.jpg

psRXHRxh.jpg

IM32sU7h.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

This so great.
Like you, all my time is put towards my loved ones costumes.
Im really impressed though.
I sure hope they all know how special you are.
Cant wait to see it all done.
Robert

BTW, gonna start a Boba for my nephew next year.
Any chance you have any extra pieces up for "trade"?
Mainly the jet pack and guantlets.
Thanks.

Yes, I'll be able to make more of these parts, just let me know which ones and shoot me a message.

Its a wonderful feeling when paint decal templates just work.
QhEnw5Nl.jpg

IFoUBsBl.jpg

9tYH2h8l.jpg

VLOTxopl.jpg

VLOTxopl.jpg

K7p5YO6l.jpg

IVbL8VSl.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And a final fitting before finishing up the last pieces, helmet is in pieces and just loosely placed on top at this point.

fJpbYZol.jpg

4VJmon2l.jpg

hyUswqFl.jpg

h58NSbEl.jpg

hmxZqPMl.jpg

w4s1wdSl.mp4

Absolutely awesome, clean build and great inspiration !!!

Absolutely awesome, clean build and great inspiration !!!

Thank you! Surprisingly this build has only been going for the past two weeks...I can almost see the finish line

For a 2.5 week build time, this armor is incredibly clean and very well done. The bottom belly plate may be a little small because of the plate spacing, but I'm seriously impressed at how well everything came together.

Excellent job with the decals and the paint job too!

Incoming photo dump, my desktop sadly crashed and imgur decided to crud out on me but finally got some photos. I'll add details soon but the build was completed and a lot of fun. Works been a pain but some shots from the halloween party make it all worth it.

Dirtied it up so it would stand out in shots more, base paint job done by Raizo/Alex Lane, weathered it, cut out and added in the welding visor to replace the rubies junk, extended stalk made and sold by me.

RSR3LyNl.jpg

NK7Vu3kh.jpg

hUXKH6sh.jpg

pXDwWJVh.jpg

9bhKXD3h.jpg

Cheap $10 target backpack converted to a harness
w1RA6tGh.jpg

ZWr5p5yh.jpg

pYRoA6Vh.jpg

wvqvKosh.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

5JELKAhh.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back