Custom Aliens Motion Tracker

Fuzzual

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have always been a huge fan of both Alien and Aliens. Several years back my loving wife gave me a Pulse Rifle kit for Christmas. Unfortunately it sat in a box for far too long. So this year for our 80's Horror Halloween I decided it was time to create a Colonial Marine costume equipped with the Pulse Rifle. Albeit I will be an over 40, out of shape, chubby marine . . . but hey, every horror movie needs that early horrible death, and I figure a fat kid makes a great meal for a Xenomorph.

Anyway, after finishing the Pulse Rifle I realized that I really wanted a Motion Tracker. I didn't want to 3D print one, and I didn't have the budget or the time to source all the original parts. What I did have was an old tool that I salvaged from my grandfathers shop. It didn't work, and honestly i didn't even recognize what it was. (if you know from the photos below, let me know please.) . So I based the build on that, as well as one 3D printed part I modeled in Fusion 360. I hated to print something for this, but I needed a close looking part to replace the Hama Viewer that iconically makes up the view screen for the Tracker.

So I hope the die hard Aliens fans will not cast me to the fire for going out on a limb here, but as with most of my builds, I wanted to make something slightly different inspired by the props we all love. I also documented the build as usual with a video. So if you feel like watching the whole process please do.

Hope you all have a great weekend building!

The Old Tool :)

30199505237_8388dcc220_b.jpg

The inside was a total hot mess!!!

44225614665_cca11cc3a1_b.jpg

I found this old Sprinkler timer in a box and it seemed to go well on the base of the tool.

44416578284_44e5fd873a_b.jpg

For the viewer I modeled this version in Fusion 360 and then 3D printed it. It came out pretty good don't you think?

44225612195_3939627821_b.jpg

31263746428_463f622c0a_b.jpg

44225868075_258ac4633f_b.jpg

I went super low tech with the tracker graphic. It was just printed on normal card stock and then I cut out the plastic cover from a memory card packaging. It gives it a little "glass reflective" quality.

45088723902_84f2fa0497_b.jpg

And here is the final result of the project.

45137181221_1d7b529480_b.jpg

30199511997_d42e9dfe38_b.jpg

44225611265_91fd22969b_b.jpg

And of course a shot of the Pulse Rifle . . . :D

44416573864_e0264421ec_b.jpg

Here is the video of the build if you are interested . . .

<font size="4">

Happy Building!!!

45088496652_c0daf37051_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great. :thumbsup

My old costuming group did all custom paint work on our armor instead of just being clones of actors.
I like the personal touches making it your own.

so cool!,

Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Looks really nice. You used the same color for the pulse rifle, i like that.

Thank you. I wanted them to match when on display.

- - - Updated - - -

Great job!

Much appreciated

- - - Updated - - -

Great job!

Much appreciated

- - - Updated - - -

Looks great. :thumbsup
My old costuming group did all custom paint work on our armor instead of just being clones of actors.
I like the personal touches making it your own.

Thank you. The personal additions I’ve always thought made it more fun when building props and costumes. Appreciate you checking out the build.

Fuzzual, great Aliens Tracker! Also, I really enjoyed watching your prop build video, too...you're a natural on-camera talent! Perhaps, we'll see you on a new upcoming tv show all about prop building? (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Fuzzual, great Aliens Tracker! Also, I really enjoyed watching your prop build video, too...you're a natural on-camera talent! Perhaps, we'll see you on a new upcoming tv show all about prop building? (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Hey Galactifan! Thank you very much for saying this, i really appreciate it. I would be happy just having the awesome people of the RPF enjoying the geeked out videos and fun projects. Thanks for the compliment and for taking the time to check it out!

Great work! Looks like it could be either an older or a newer model.

Thank you much, I was hoping it would fit nicely in the Aliens universe without any of the great Aliens prop builders throwing me into the fire. :lol

I saw this fantastic artwork from Javier Perez on Artstation, and it really inspired me to build this. I thought his stuff looked really amazing.

billy-machin-bibber-concepts2.jpg

Very nice, it's like a different model of motion tracker that the Colonial Marines are either phasing out or are in the process of adopting.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back