Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

Loved that this movie basically plugged a 30 year old plot hole: that the death star WASN'T badly designed..it was intentionally sabotaged by the designer.

And that is Jenga:lol...That's probably the best part of the whole mess. It has some very fine moments, but not having John Williams and Lawerance Kasden is glaringly obvious.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Disney will dilute and destroy everything that was always cool about SW, hell GL tried to do it with the prequels, now Disney will churn out more SW 'story' rubbish....hell, why even call it 'A Star Wars Story'......we're not smart enough to know that?.

Can't wait for the Han Solo 'Story'...I mean stories;)

At the end of the day it really doesn't matter, Disney will continue to destroy my childhood by s.h.i.ting all over SW.

The sad part is it could have been so much better, just with a tighter script, better direction and casting.

I'm only putting this in the spoilers thread as the ensuing discussion may contain aforementioned spoilers. The question is, with the release of Rouge One, we will certainly need a new viewing order. Discuss...

I'm only putting this in the spoilers thread as the ensuing discussion may contain aforementioned spoilers. The question is, with the release of Rouge One, we will certainly need a new viewing order. Discuss...
Nope. Rogue One is a sidebar to the main story, not directly a part of it. Therefore, the proper viewing order remains Episode IV, V, VI, I, II, III, VII (and eventually VIII and IX). Rogue One, and whichever other supplemental movies get produced, may be watched at the viewer's discretion after they've seen the main/episodic movies. :cool

And that is Jenga:lol...That's probably the best part of the whole mess. It has some very fine moments, but not having John Williams and Lawerance Kasden is glaringly obvious.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Disney will dilute and destroy everything that was always cool about SW, hell GL tried to do it with the prequels, now Disney will churn out more SW 'story' rubbish....hell, why even call it 'A Star Wars Story'......we're not smart enough to know that?.

Can't wait for the Han Solo 'Story'...I mean stories;)

At the end of the day it really doesn't matter, Disney will continue to destroy my childhood by s.h.i.ting all over SW.

The sad part is it could have been so much better, just with a tighter script, better direction and casting.

Speak for yourself. For others like myself they are bringing back everything that is cool about Star Wars. Besides if all you want to love is the OT then nobody can take that away by dilution. For me it's great to have Star Wars back again.

Anyway I loved vaders castle. Always been a dream of mine to see it after it was cut from ROTJ. Loved the star destroyer scenes and the fact they looked like they had "actual" greeblies all over them. Tarkin was fantastic to me. Not perfect but so nostalgic. Vader end scene was epic. And loved the insertion of pilots from ANH.

Ben

So all I could think during the first 3/4 of this mess was...Is this what kids with ADHD suffer from....Jump,jump,jump,jump. Awful pacing, score was terrible! REALLY???? WHAT was good here?
Loved Vader, loved the space battle, the rest was a complete disaster.

Well it is official... It is impossible to make a Star Wars film that every fan will love. Give 'me a darker toned, more adult story, and people will complain that it should be more kid friendly... Use technology to bring back old characters so the film makes sense in the timeline, and people complain that it is too creepy and weird... To each their own I guess.

No...they should not make a movie like this so boring most of the time and add a real SW-Score.That would help to like the movie!;)

- - - Updated - - -

So all I could think during the first 3/4 of this mess was...Is this what kids with ADHD suffer from....Jump,jump,jump,jump. Awful pacing, score was terrible! REALLY???? WHAT was good here?
Loved Vader, loved the space battle, the rest was a complete disaster.

Sadly you´re so right!:cry

Complete disaster?

It was a fun ride. Not perfect... But what has been since 1980?

I have a lot of respect for CaymenShen and Darkside72... But seriously... To all who thought this was a complete disaster.... Just stop watching anything Star Wars related right now because you cannot be satisfied. No one will make YOUR perfect SW movie. It's over. Accept it and do something else with your life.

Episode8 and the Solo movie won't be better than this was for you meesa thinks.

First off, I loved this. This is what I have (as a fan of the OT) been waiting a long time to see. Is it the best SW movie? No, but I think it had more substance than TFA and certainly more than the PT (TPM, ATOTC and ROTS).

I liked the idea that we had a lead up story to the original. So much better than a re-boot and really liked the CG face replacements. The only one I'm not 100% sure about is Leia at the end. She reminded me of this

puss-in-boots.gif

I thought Vader's 30 seconds of awesome totally rocked and wished there was more of that. I also liked the way we saw him in the bacta tank. Kind of reminded me of the scene in the reboot of Robo-Cop, but good to know he has to be revitalized from his injuries.

I don't mind not having the JW score, but I did think a crawl would have been cool to tie this film into the other 7. After all, it started with the classic A LONG TIME AGO, IN A GALAXY FAR, FAR AWAY...

A big yellow STAR WARS + title then crawl would have made this film epic.

I did like the addition of small captions explaining where we were, however kind of thought it was a little too 2008 Star Trek.

Overall, just so good to see classic SW characters on the big screen without the cute or fuzzy aimed at kids.

I saw this in 3D as well and must say wow. The 3D so works for this film. Bring on May 2017 for the BD release.

Complete disaster?

It was a fun ride. Not perfect... But what has been since 1980?

I have a lot of respect for CaymenShen and Darkside72... But seriously... To all who thought this was a complete disaster.... Just stop watching anything Star Wars related right now because you cannot be satisfied. No one will make YOUR perfect SW movie. It's over. Accept it and do something else with your life.

Episode8 and the Solo movie won't be better than this was for you meesa thinks.

I don't hate it, but I do have issues with it (as I laid out, I thought, well -- in my utterly ignored post a few pages back). That's not so big a thing for me, though. I have issues with Empire, easily my favorite out of all of them, even though I love it to pieces. Hell, if I didn't care, I wouldn't say anything. I'm set to see this at least twice more in theaters, and at the same time I'm keenly aware of where balls were dropped. I can forgive it a lot more here than I can for, say, what Michael Bay's done to the Transformers -- another of my nearly-lifelong loves. I will still take a whack at seeing if I can do better, regardless. I don't like being an armchair quarterback -- I prefer to put up or shut up. :)

--Jonah

I absolutely loved it

The CG masks weren't perfect,....but as I'm not a CG mask animator & can't do anything better than ILM can,....I love what they did
Tarkin was far more menacing & deeper than what he was in Star Wars....now you can see why he has an upper rank on Vader,....I've heard/read comments/complaints that there should have been reduced or no screen time for him,.....which of course is idiotic,.....

The soundtrack wasn't perfect.....but as I don't write music or work in that industry,....I love what they did
Michael Giacchino only had four weeks to create & record this........repeat

Michael Giacchino only had four weeks to create & record this

Where I would have been satisfied with a Daft Punk Tron-like soundtrack......to break away from the Williams style,.....Giacchino's composition drew on Williams' score from Star Wars '77, with the Timpani drums in Death Star scenes,.....when I heard them,....I got chills & was transported back to '78,...there were other teases also which compliment the Williams soundtrack for Star Wars,.....I've heard/read comments/complaints that his soundtrack was non existent & not as great as Williams,....but had Mr Williams done it,....there would have been complaints no matter how great he'd done it

No opening crawl.....there's no opening crawl because this isn't a Saga film,.....let go
Also,...Lucas got into a lot of bother back in the day when he broke the mould & left all credits till the end of the film,.....he got fined by the Directors Guild & left the Guild......It's interesting that although there is no crawl there, it still carries on Lucas' tradition

The titles for planets,.....great,....it's not a Saga film
...although no title for Vaders Castle......Mustafar?

J

Everything worked for me apart from one minor concern;

When Vader came out of the Bacta tank and met Krennic, there is no way he had time to dry himself properly. Bit like when you've had a shower at the gym and put your clothes back on when you're still wet.

I think we all know how uncomfortable it feels, but to have to wear a leather jumpsuit with a wet back and armpits...

because the 3D version is so bad.

I had the same impression. Not even the landscapes were converted in a way that they "sucked" you into them. The worst scene was when Vader left Krennik. The bright background sort of engulfed Vader and made him float on the canvas even though he was very far away. So far it was the worst 3D experience I had in my life. But well, maybe they really tried their best with the material available. Or they just were in a hurry to get things done.

AHEM. Nevertheless I enjoyed the movie very much. And when I rewatched ANH a few hours later I realized something: R1 is a prequel to ANH..... SO .... R1 IS A DAMN PREQUEL MOVIE!!! :D ;)

Last edited:
When Vader came out of the Bacta tank and met Krennic, there is no way he had time to dry himself properly.

We don't exactly know how much time was spent between Krennik's arrival and Vader's getting out of the tank. I think Vader had left Krennik waiting for him, so he might have had enough time to dry himself. The waiting time was cut short in the movie. Like in Terminator 3 when the T-800 breaks into the car at the beginning: He smashes the window outside the car and then - zap - he sits in the car. Anyway, the Force may have assisted him in drying himself. ;)

No opening crawl.....there's no opening crawl because this isn't a Saga film,.....let go

There was a group of teens at the screening I attended. One of them explained to the others in a very wisecracking manner why there was no crawl. It went like this: "The movie starts right off. There is no crawl, No text, and no Star Wars theme. That is because the film was made by Lucasfilm and not by Disney. Lucasfilm doesn't have the rights to use these elements and that's why there is none of them." I facepalmed to myself. That was at the beginning of the movie. Then the film started. He: "See? Lucasfilm. Not Disney." THEN, when the end credits were rolling, the Disney references popped up all over the place. Disney here, Disney there. His friends turned to him and meant, "What the hell are you talking about, you fool? That's a damned Disney movie! Look for yourself or - ARE YOU BLIND?" I laughed so hard! :)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back