SyFy's Heroes of Cosplay

I have been to enough cons to know that there are hundreds of women/girls just putting it all out there for the drooling guys with shaking hands taking whacking pictures. Sex in Cosplay is not a new thing. Making Cosplay a huge, competitive, cut-throat business is. BUT, I guess anything that involves major money will inevitably involve jealousy and turn it into a back-biting free-for-all. This show just points out all the nastier aspects of it.

I'll give him some credit for the enclave helmet as he did actually build it from pepekura but everything else on him was basically pieced together from other things. Again, how would he ever make it in the prop and costume business if he can't actually build his own stuff from scratch?

Exactly. He's got some TK armor in there, and just painted football pads and extended the barrels on a Nerf toy and used a Pipboy off the shelf. It shows SOME creativity, but quite frankly isn't remotely what I'd expect out of cosplay 'heroes' I mean really, anyone on this board could essentially hand him his ass with their builds.

The storm trooper bucket tattoo on my kneecap has more effort in it than his steamtrooper bucket. Sorry, I had to say it.

Exactly. He's got some TK armor in there, and just painted football pads and extended the barrels on a Nerf toy and used a Pipboy off the shelf. It shows SOME creativity, but quite frankly isn't remotely what I'd expect out of cosplay 'heroes' I mean really, anyone on this board could essentially hand him his ass with their builds.

agreed. the moment i saw him suiting up i thought 'ooh thats a tk forearm' 'those are american football pads' whilst as usless as I am at paint I wouldn't call taking something and painting it a different colour a good move when you're trying to promote your own costume business.

good example was the fact they were moaning about the 2 girls using store bought horns and modifying them.. he did no different.

good effort, but could have done more.

now waiting for the 2nd episode to appear online.. (not on in the uk. grr)

Cosplay is like anything else. It starts small, gets too big for its britches with all the leeches, sharks, and me-too's. It then implodes and settles down with a few hardcore people still remaining while the others move on to something else.

Checking in. I caught the last 15 minutes of "Face Off" last night (honestly, the most I've ever watched, and I might watch again) and since it led in to HoC, I stuck around to see what it was like.

Oy.

I understand the whole reality show thing, the manufactured drama, the artificially imposed deadlines, but this was just too much for me. There were at least 10 costumes shown briefly during the competition that were better than the series cast's, yet the cast members are all up on stage. Fixed! Nice to see that they didn't actually steal a win from someone deserving just for the show.

I appreciate the effort behind a good costume/outfit/impression/cosplay, but the whole "She has to impress the judges with this build or she will lose all her cred in the community!" shtick was the most off-putting. I understand that it's a subculture with its own rules and cliques and values, but really? Is it that big a deal? Countdown to suicide in 3...2... :rolleyes

I swear, I thought I heard someone say that Monika McLovin was 13. :confused (Ah, it was the narrator explaining that Yaya "discovered" her at 13.)

Frankly, I was a bigger fan of Yaya before I saw her on TV. Now, eh. And none of the others are compelling enough for me to watch, so: moving on.

First things first, I am not thrilled by "I am the ambassador of cosplay" line. I do not acknowledge her as the person that represents my hobby.

Second, I can appreciate what Jesse does, but come on, I am a huge Fallout fan, and I can say that minus the Helmet and Pipboy, I wouldn't recognize that as power armor, enclave armor or anything. Vault dweller with raider bits and enclave helmet, maybe, but not a outright power armor wearer. I seriously hope he isn't using stormtrooper armor for every costume on the show. There are a lot of different things he can use to make armor-esque parts, not just use stormtrooper armor for everything. Because I recognize stormtrooper armor instantly, as well as Boba Fett armor, it sticks out like sore thumb on costumes that aren't star wars related. He even has a vacuform table, he could have made even a not as accurate piece of stuff that can work better than just outright stormie armor, especially when he is already using the table to make pieces. And he really gets upset when he doesn't win. What do you expect?

I sincerely feel bad for Victorias B/F. He slaves over the stuff, and she won't even give him credit where it is due with the Tron costume.

Needless to say, I am not overly thrilled with the show. It really isn't what I expected, hardly as much about the building, but more about the drama. Trying to find a person on the show that isn't being prissy and whatnot. Also, I still do hate the term cosplay...

I don't see myself as the best costumer, nor the best prop maker by any means, but, I think they need more realistic people doing the show. You know, the ones who work 40 hours a week, juggle finances to see what is more important(costume piece or the bills), and the little spare time to actually assemble these things. Jesse seems to be the only one who has that going for him.

Supposedly, his Gatling gun was actually a toy he just painted to look silver instead of colorful. (Buzz Bee Gatling Gun)

I thought it was just a bunch of PVC pipes rigged up to a drill or something, but he apparently put even less effort than that into it?

Airzone. I use them for war machine. Dude is a joke

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Hearing a rumor that SyFy rigged the competition at MegaCon.

Anyone able to confirm or deny this??

I was there and watched the competition. On one hand I pretty much agreed with who won. On the other hand I don't remember Yaya as a judge so maybe they replaced her because she was sabotaging the show. I was paying more attention to the costumes and Gigi Edgley making a pass at one of the women. I cannot remember if Tank Girl wins anything, but I do remember that I did not like it. When I saw the first five minutes of the first episode and saw two of the costumes from MegaCon I started thinking something fishy was on.

Also, based on one of the threads for movies currently being filmed some of you are really going to like who wins the group prize.

Sent from my Etch A Sketch.

I have to say I HATED the first episode, but actually found the second episode to be a bit more tolerable.

The best part for me was actually the "night before the big day" where everyone went out for some drinks and to talk. I loved it because in their conversation, they actually gave a great snapshot of one of the many things we talk about in this community all the time: body type. That little burst of reality stood in such stark contrast to episode 1's "Night out" where everything was focused on getting Rainbow Dash (I'm bad with names, sorry) back to her hotel room before she got too drunk.

If we have more of those moments and fewer of the "Yaya invited me to coffee...OH NOES!" I will be very happy.

The drama and manufactured tension will continue to bother me, and I wish they would show more of the creative process...I mean -- come on -- there is no way there is $200 worth of foam in that worm, where'd it all go?! I'd love to see people dealing with real last minute issues, (Those moments where Cosplayers are in their hotel room and go, "You know what, if the pauldrons don't work, I guess this costume doesn't have them anymore" or "Just tape it on, quick!") instead of editing things to make it look like there were electronics issues moments before showtime.

I don't fault anyone for making any type of costume: accurate, cheap, found object, sexy, original design, etc...they're all different styles, I don't have to like them all (And I don't) so it would be nice to get a little more variety in the type of people and styles represented.

And back on the Volpin tangent for a moment: I just wanted to say that although I haven't spoken with Harrison in a while, all of my experiences with him have always been completely positive, and between those encounters and the sheer volume of information he shares FOR FREE (!!!) he is one of the most generous and humble guys out there...now if only he'd make more videos of him drunk in his workshop. THAT is the show that SyFy should have made! :lol

-Nick

If you wanna talk delusional ..., <snip>.

Holy crap these people just sound awful and pretty much confirmed my thoughts on cosplayers and why i've never wanted anything to do with them. I like building stuff, I like wearing stuff and I like hanging out with people who enjoy building and wearing stuff, but I have no interest in fame seeking drama queens who's sole purpose is to get their ego stroked. As for the show, I did try watching the first episode before face off when it started, I didn't last more than 10 minutes. I figured it was the editing and script that made them seem awful and vapid, It seems I was wrong.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back