need help making spinning barrel for halo 3 turret

dashIV

posted on the 405th but things have been a little slow lately so I was wondering if I could get some help. Halloween is currently 6 weeks away and I am in the process of building my halo suit. I am almost done and I would like to build the halo 3 turret to really drive it home. I want it to spin, and I am going to make a pvc frame/skeleton and cover the skeleton/make the gun itself out of eva foam. I have a black and decker 2 position pivoting handled cordless screwdriver and hope it is enough to rotate the barrel, and it has a flashlight built into it so maybe I can have muzzle flashes, but can you guys please tell me how to make the trigger work. I don't know how I can make the turret look like it should without this big handle sticking out, and all the threads I have read have had the drill or screwdriver taken apart and soldered or modded. I have never done this and would like to not do so, but if inevitable I guess I could try... any suggestions or experience? than you so much.

this is the design so you have a reference.

halo 3 turret - Google Search:

https://www.geekzone.co.nz/images/blog/Halo3_Spartan_Blue_

I will try to post pictures as I work on it and may turn this into a tutorial one I get this down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: need helm making spinning barrel for halo 3 turret

I was thinking of doing something like that, but making my own out of pvc

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I don't want to spend the $50 and I want to make it myself to have that personal value and accomplishment. I have seen the other forums, tutorials, and posts, and all I need to know is how to get this screwdriver inside the turret, have it centered, and still be able to press the trigger/button to make it spin from that little curved handle at the back...

As you're not looking to take the drill apart and re-arrange the parts to fit within the shape of the gun, I take it you're not going for a screen/polygon-accurate version.

If so, how about this: turn the drill upside down, so the handle is facing up, and attach it to the gun in that way, all the way in the back. You can then use a metal rod to get the motion of the drill over to the barrels.

Granted; there'll be a hefty weight on top of the grip (I take it the battery is located there), and you have to activate the spinning barrels with your pinky finger instead of your index finger, which may make for a slightly awkward grip, but apart from that, what have the Romans ever done for us?

Haha, That's the problem. I want it to look as accurate as possible. I was going to use a drill like you suggested, but most of them are too expensive and like you said have a bulky battery on the bottom. The screwdriver I said I wanted to use I got for free from a neighbor moving away and I think it's perfect. It even has a flashlight on it I may use for muzzle flashes, but I think I will have to expirament and take it apart. The button to make it spin is at least 3 fingers long and it can change form from a gun shape to a straight line. I think k what I'm going to do is figure out how to remove the trigger only, find someone to solder and extend the wire, and fasten it inside of pvc shaped like the middle handle that looks like a c that can be grabbed when dismounted. Then I will secure the rest of the drill to the middle to make the barrels spin... lot of work but I hope it will be worth it and work

I was thinking of doing something like that, but making my own out of pvc

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I don't want to spend the $50 and I want to make it myself to have that personal value and accomplishment. I have seen the other forums, tutorials, and posts, and all I need to know is how to get this screwdriver inside the turret, have it centered, and still be able to press the trigger/button to make it spin from that little curved handle at the back...

I totally understand that you want to have the feeling of accomplishment to do this yourself. I commend that. But sometimes starting a project without a definite plan and a deadline, is a recipe for disaster.

TazMan2000

It would help if you provided a sketch or something. Basically you want this?

H3_Turret_Drill.jpg

I suggest making some measurements and drawing out some dimensions to see how things fit. You'll also need to know how much material you need. Assuming your drill is the size I think it is I don't see how it wouldn't fit in this gun, the gun is, maybe 4 feet long? Potentially you could activate the drill with some string/fishing line or something from your prop triggers.

Six weeks is not a lot of time to get this done. Perhaps build a static gun and if it's done with time to spare focus on the rotating barrel?

Last edited:
I can't see the attachment, but my screwdriver is only an 1"1/2 thick and maybe 5"s long when in the straight position. As for a drawing I'll show you the tough idea and try and post a sketch, but I won't have the dimension since I haven't yet built the foam. I will try and do that this weekend, As Well and finish my armor with the chestpiece. 6 weeks is plenty. That gives me a weekend to build all the way, and a weekend to add little things and paint. Then 4 weeks to further work on it or have lots of aprehention and trying to keep down my excitement :)

I will start working on it soon. Just have to get my neighbor to extend one of the wires

here is some pictures of the sketch and screwdriver.
20180913_073001.jpg
twisted into the second position
20180913_072945.jpg
taken apart
20180913_073226.jpg
close up on the trigger mechanism
20180913_073322.jpg
the tiger is just a piece of plastic with a spring and two metal pieces. when those pieces touch the chips metal pieces, that completes the current and makes the drill spin, so all I have to do Is extend the wire to that chip, make it about a foot and a half long(just to be safe), and cut a square in the pvc to fit the trigger into.
20180913_074750.jpg

Attachments

• aezxblehr21iyc42hzc7.png
    aezxblehr21iyc42hzc7.png
    375.5 KB · Views: 143
  • article-2258923-00EFCDA91000044C-994_964x641.jpg
    article-2258923-00EFCDA91000044C-994_964x641.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 165
  • Auto-with-mccrea.png
    Auto-with-mccrea.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 202
  • blitz.png
    blitz.png
    36.9 KB · Views: 106
so if there is any attachments that have absolutly nothing to do with the minigun, thats because my computer bugged out and i cant figure out how to remove them

so if there is any attachments that have absolutly nothing to do with the minigun, thats because my computer bugged out and i cant figure out how to remove them

On the bottom right of your post you should see the 'edit' button.

As for the gun, perhaps build the barrels and axle and then see if the drill can spin them. If it can, proceed with the rest of the build, if not, go with a static piece.

Not sure what tools you have or access to what materials, but this is one way to make the turret spin.
PVC pipe (Large, Med. Small) would work well and be fairly ridged.

The plastic end caps (of the main body) and turret barrel holders could be an acrylic sheet from Home Depot.
The blue portion would spin with the belt driven pulleys.

turret 1.jpg

turret 2.jpg

Not sure what tools you have or access to what materials, but this is one way to make the turret spin.
PVC pipe (Large, Med. Small) would work well and be fairly ridged.

The plastic end caps (of the main body) and turret barrel holders could be an acrylic sheet from Home Depot.
The blue portion would spin with the belt driven pulleys.

View attachment 842993

View attachment 842994

so I was considering this, but because of complications on other projects with a similar design I was going to go for this; same thing as your model, but instead of a motor based pulley system, I was going to use something like a shepherd lazy Susan bearing towards the front of the gun, and a lazy Susan in the back to support all the weight, and using the drill mearly to turn it without needing to use as much force. I have all the materials and am ready to build, but due to complications this week and me being busy, I cant start on it till next weekend, so watch out for a new thread :D

Most of the lazy Susan set ups I have seen are more for downward, vertical pressure pressing on the bearings.
Since the turret will be horizontal most the time, the center shaft will need a bearing to alleviate the pressure from side to side motion (or downwards when held horizontal).
A bearing on the shaft at the front and the back would be sufficient.

I didn't include a bearing in my drawing since the three barrels would be made of light weight PVC pipe and would be used for limited use during costuming.
Even Delrin bushings could be used as the baring material (Teflon would work as well).

Looking forward to your progress.

Last edited:
For more action, maybe add Ultra Bright LEDS to the tips of the barrels that turn on when one of the three
barrels reaches top dead center or use a micro-control that flashes the LEDs.

A "slip ring" could be used to put power to the barrels as they spin.
The center spinning shaft in the main body could have the slip ring and contacts.
A small snap action switched could be mounted at the top position which closes when the barrel reaches the top
as it turns, then off and on again with the next barrel.

Last edited:
Instead of using a separate external electric screw driver motor to drive the turret, maybe use a small, DC (speed controlled) FAN and it's built in motor.
Many used item stores have battery operated fans for sale.

The fan blades could then be removed leaving the center hub where the three turret barrels can be attached.
The barrings in a fan are well suited for this project.
Then power can be applied to the fan motor directly.

A simpler idea I was thinking would be have a flashlight, or the already bright light in the screwdriver, that would shine down the barrel as the barrel rotates to the top to line up with said light

Any updates on the spinning part of the turret?
A cheap fan motor would work great since it already has barrings and the motor is part of the rotation and shaft.
A bright LED light in each barrel would give the impression that it was actually firing from that barrel.

Looking forward to any progress.

It has been a few days since your last posting.
Has the Lazy Suzanne worked the way you envisioned?
This was going to be an interesting thread to follow.

If there are any updates, post them when you can. I'd like to see how the turntable worked for you.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back