Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
@jlee562
Canto-Bight was an entire subplot that took significant time, not just a little thing to add some color to the world. Don't act like that compares to a few seconds of expertly delivered dialogue. And Canto-Bight ultimately fails at it's job. The whole place looks like Monte Carlo. Making Star Wars stuff Earth-like is the wrong direction, it doesn't color the world. And in fact kills suspension of disbelief.

ESB is part of the OT. You must have forgotten that.....:lol

These movies don't exist in vacuums. What happens in ESB shows us ANH in a whole new light due to knowing Vader is his father. And it affects what happens in ROTJ. Even ROTJ affects how we perceive ANH...for instance how we perceived Luke and Leia kissing each other. If there was any part of ESB that was convoluted, it would likewise have had a similar effect on the other movies.

@DaddyfromNaboo
SW movies clock way more than 90 minutes. And TLJ is the longest SW movie by roughly 13 minutes.

It took Cushing like 5 or 10 seconds to get that line out about the Emperor.

They managed to fit in milking a Walrus-Ape and "I'll hold" jokes, they could have added a line about Snoke's past.

Last edited:
@jlee562
Canto-Bight was an entire subplot that took significant time, not just a little thing to add some color to the world. Don't act like that compares to a few seconds of expertly delivered dialogue. And Canto-Bight ultimately fails at it's job. The whole place looks like Monte Carlo. Making Star Wars stuff Earth-like is the wrong direction, it doesn't color the world. And in fact kills suspension of disbelief.

Thanks for sharing your subjective opinion.

ESB is part of the OT. You must have forgotten that.....:lol
You must have forgotten how sentence structure works.

These movies don't exist in vacuums. What happens in ESB shows us ANH in a whole new light due to knowing Vader is his father. And it affects what happens in ROTJ. Even ROTJ affects how we perceive ANH...for instance how we perceived Luke and Leia kissing each other. If there was any part of ESB that was convoluted, it would likewise have had a similar effect on the other movies.

ANH does, for all intents and purposes of discussing the creation of its narrative, exist in a vacuum. ESB and ROTJ do not.

Luke's hand not dropping is not an issue if you go with the 'he was always a ghost on the island' theory.

Sent from my BLU LIFE MARK using Tapatalk

I`ve never heard of that theory before and either way it doesnt hold much weight for me

Well, Anakin`s injuries were all wiped away when he appeared as a force ghost. He was restored to his full glory.

How is it going to look when Luke appears as a force ghost in the next movie with his hand fully restored?

Its something I failed to pick up on in TLJ as there was so much more to question but for me the main thing in the video was that Johnson was aware of the situation but failed to address it....WOW.....and that by simply including it would have evoked a sense of Lukes history. I guess in the context of how he was treated by Johnson, thats the last thing he wanted to do. Bad directing 101.

Exactly, if thats starts to fail they will drop it like a hot potatoe.

The thing is, Disney has absolutely nothing to lose at this point by holding onto Star Wars indefinitely. If interest in the current incarnation of the property wanes, well, they've *already* made back the 4 billion they invested in it. They will be able to afford to sit on it until they figure out some new way to revitalize interest or monetize it. They've been at this game far too long to not have a plan for what to do if/when the current demand for new Star Wars material dies off.

Exactly my point in the post, its called "offloading"

And my point is they don't need to offload it. They've already made back their investment in it and Disney knows how to manufacture interest in properties that aren't generating much/any revenue for them (the whole "get it before it goes back in the vault" nonsense, for example).

Its something I failed to pick up on in TLJ as there was so much more to question but for me the main thing in the video was that Johnson was aware of the situation but failed to address it....WOW.....and that by simply including it would have evoked a sense of Lukes history. I guess in the context of how he was treated by Johnson, thats the last thing he wanted to do. Bad directing 101.

This is one of those things where I can definitely see it as damned if you do, damned if you don't. Before I explain, I absolutely agree with the sentiments calling out Johnson for flat out forgetting about it. I wouldn't say it is unforgivable, but it is certainly a lazy mistake.

However, even though we know it wasn't planned this way, I could see a strong argument for intentionally not including the hand drop. Simply seeing it fall and clunk onto the rocks could have created unintentional laughs in the audience. And filming the hand dropping as solemnly as possible might have detracted from the visual strength of seeing him vanish and the robes flutter away. It would have been tricky to do it just right.

So were it a conscious choice, I could accept it even if I didn't agree with it.

Exactly my point in the post, its called "offloading"

Let me reiterate, there is ZERO chance they sell this franchise. Full Stop.

- - - Updated - - -

And my point is they don't need to offload it. They've already made back their investment in it and Disney knows how to manufacture interest in properties that aren't generating much/any revenue for them (the whole "get it before it goes back in the vault" nonsense, for example).
it.

And this is a company that made a what, 6 or 7 film, franchise entirely based on a theme park ride called Pirates of the Caribbean.

This is one of those things where I can definitely see it as damned if you do, damned if you don't. Before I explain, I absolutely agree with the sentiments calling out Johnson for flat out forgetting about it. I wouldn't say it is unforgivable, but it is certainly a lazy mistake.

He is the professional here...not us

However, even though we know it wasn't planned this way, I could see a strong argument for intentionally not including the hand drop. Simply seeing it fall and clunk onto the rocks could have created unintentional laughs in the audience. And filming the hand dropping as solemnly as possible might have detracted from the visual strength of seeing him vanish and the robes flutter away. It would have been tricky to do it just right.

So were it a conscious choice, I could accept it even if I didn't agree with it.

If you cant do the scene right, dont do it at all.

Constant talk about the financial status of this movie and the financial implications etc is really not the point of why we gather here, well except for one person, it has nothing to do with the reason why we love movies, its hollow and at worst nothing more than a smokescreen.

Lets cut to the chase, where are the moments that will live in peoples hearts forever? If someone can point any out I will gladly consider them

Where is the Han and Leias first kiss moment? Where is the "I know" moment? Where is the "I am your Father" moment? Etcetera, Etcetera. And thats just from one of the OT.

When this film drops off the radar and boy it will drop off the radar it will be a hard, hard drop. This falls straight at the feet of Rian Johnson. I have very little faith in the hope his new trilogy, if it goes ahead, will be any different. Please discuss.

IMO in 9, they just use previously shot scenes of Leia as a hologram. So basically, she may communicate a couple of times with the new heroes but she is somewhere far away so has to communicate with them in that manner. That abides by the no CGI rule they said they would follow.

Constant talk about the financial status of this movie and the financial implications etc is really not the point of why we gather here, well except for one person, it has nothing to do with the reason why we love movies, its hollow and at worst nothing more than a smokescreen.

Here, here!! :cheers

Lets cut to the chase, where are the moments that will live in peoples hearts forever? If someone can point any out I will gladly consider them

The Crawl was good, so was the end credits..

Where is the Han and Leias first kiss moment? Where is the "I know" moment? Where is the "I am your Father" moment? Etcetera, Etcetera. And thats just from one of the OT.

Mr Webber, your wasting your talented typing skills on this question ;)

When this film drops off the radar and boy it will drop off the radar it will be a hard, hard drop. This falls straight at the feet of Rian Johnson. I have very little faith in the hope his new trilogy, if it goes ahead, will be any different.

Then there will be the insert about "how much money it made".

All in fun peeps..

Thanks for sharing your subjective opinion.

You must have forgotten how sentence structure works.

ANH does, for all intents and purposes of discussing the creation of its narrative, exist in a vacuum. ESB and ROTJ do not.

Yes, we are all sharing and discussing our subjective opinions on this movie. "I like TLJ because XYZ" or "I hate TLJ because of 123" for instance. So thanks for pointing out the obvious.

Spell/grammar-checking is a poor debaters tactic

So first you argue that Palpatine's history would have made ESB, specifically, convoluted. Now only ANH exists in a vacuum. That's a contradiction.

Also, why doesn't Palpatine's history make ANH convoluted? It is in there, brief as it was.

...However, even though we know it wasn't planned this way, I could see a strong argument for intentionally not including the hand drop. Simply seeing it fall and clunk onto the rocks could have created unintentional laughs in the audience. And filming the hand dropping as solemnly as possible might have detracted from the visual strength of seeing him vanish and the robes flutter away. It would have been tricky to do it just right.

Rian could have shown the hand falling onto the robes, recalling the shot of Obi-Wan's saber. But then everyone would be calling it a rip off of ANH, so...

...This is one of those things where I can definitely see it as damned if you do, damned if you don't...

...yeah, that right there.

He is the professional here...not us

Professional does not mean can't/won't make mistakes. He's a human before a professional.

So to reiterate, do I find his admission of just forgetting to be lazy? Sure. Unforgivable? No.

If you cant do the scene right, dont do it at all.

"Right" is subjective. I can recognize the mistake of his mechanical hand not falling, yet STILL appreciate the scene and the moment it created. It doesn't ruin anything for me. If it does for you, well, that's why "right" is subjective.

Professional does not mean can't/won't make mistakes. He's a human before a professional.

So to reiterate, do I find his admission of just forgetting to be lazy? Sure. Unforgivable? No.

"Right" is subjective. I can recognize the mistake of his mechanical hand not falling, yet STILL appreciate the scene and the moment it created. It doesn't ruin anything for me. If it does for you, well, that's why "right" is subjective.

I said previously, it would have been comical and ruined a nice moment in the film. At this point if we are arguing about this being a problem we are so far in the weeds it's absurd. I hate to tell some of you but the reality is 75-80% of the people who wTch and enjoy these films could care less about the minutiae we are arguing about.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back