Classic BSG Solonite Charge Build

bishopdonmiguel

In my experience, there are two basic prop personalities: those who focus on extreme screen accuracy and everyone else. I'm in the everyone else category. Strict adherence to "screen accurate" is fine but the thing about many classic props... they're junk, designed to last exactly how long they are needed to capture the shot. When I recreate a prop, I want it to evoke the nostalgia of false memory. What I thought it looked like is the important factor, not the lump of junk that is reality.

For the Solonite Charge, I wanted it to function as "implied" on screen. The prop was likely a two-piece vacuformed prop. In many scenes, the top switch is non-functional. There is a small slide-switch on the side. Also, despite the illusion that it contained magnets or such to hold it in place, if you watch carefully, the charges are placed with a gentle pressing/twisting motion... most likely attached with double-sided tape. I want none of that.

So here we go.

Reference shot...

bsg-sc-thog-solonite.jpg

First to locate the important components, the aluminum knob and panel light. Fortunately, I found a source for both that were close matches...

Solonite01.jpg

The prop was based on a 20 round M16 (AR-15) magazine. Modifying a real one would likely take more effort than a scratch build so I opted for the latter (it's also cheaper). Using published dimensions, I created a basic wood model with routed grooves simulating the magazine...

Solonite02.jpg

I needed a compartment to house the batteries so I split the model down the middle, sanded until the thickness was appropriate and cut a hole in one half...

Solonite03.jpg

Added a shelf for the battery cover and rounded out the edges to align with the screen shots...

Solonite04.jpg

Solonite05.jpg

For the battery cover, I had to route grooves in another piece of wood so when it was cut down, it would match the model. I won't bore you with those details. After drilling a few holes for the components and magnets, we have a model ready for molding...

Solonite06.jpg

Solonite07.jpg

To be continued....

Was generally happy with how the molds turned out. In hindsight, I should have spent a bit more time filling and sanding the parts as there is still a slight sign of wood grain. But my eyes are not as sharp as they once were.

Solonite09.jpg

Solonite10.jpg

A quick magnet test... works!!!...

Solonite11.jpg

Final step was to add a gunmetal finish and paint the orange stripe. Here are some beauty shots...

bsg-solonite.jpg

bsg-solonite-detail1.jpg

bsg-solonite-detail2.jpg

bsg-solonite-detail3.jpg

With this item, I decided to start showcasing my builds with parody fan films. Here was my first production starring the Solonite Charge. If you would consider subscribing to my channel, it would help with getting the channel qualified for a custom (easier to remember) name...

Last edited by a moderator:
Subscribed. You sir, do quality work!
If you decide to let one of your charges go, PLEASE drop me a line!

Thank you!

Check out our Etsy store. We stock Solonite Charges there. Temporarily sold out because we just sent off the last of our inventory but will be making more soon. If you like, I can PM you when ready.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back